Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,371 times

Advertisements

yes I know it sounds crazy but crazy is just what I need in my life right now. I am considering moving out to seattle from new york(upstate) in early february. I think I would like to drive across country since it will probably be the only time I do it and I would like to see this mass of land. I want to be a musician as does my friend and seattle seems ideal since it is not a huge city but it certainly has it's city life. so I'm looking for tips on places we could live closest to downtown that wouldn't cost a fortune and anything else you might have to say about seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 12:30 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
First Hill usually has the cheapest rent of the neighborhoods close to downtown, but it's nowhere near as inexpensive as most parts of upstate NY. You'd be lucky to get a studio for $600 rent plus $600 deposit plus application fee/credit check. It may take more time than it does where you are (my own experience is the Utica area), so you might need to either sleep in your car for a while or use one of the city homeless shelters, unless you bring several thousand dollars with you. I'd wait until summer if I were you.

Craigslist is your friend.

Oh, and gas is getting to be more expensive .... if you're going to wander along the way and not go directly there on interstates, you're going to have to budget at least $600 for that, some more for motels, and a bit for repairs if it's an older car. You might be able to pick up temp work if you get stuck along the way.

Last edited by Woof; 11-04-2007 at 12:44 AM..

Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 PM

74 posts, read 307,089 times
I drove from Seattle to NYC in February this year during the cold snap across the country. I made it in a little over 2 1/2 days and slept in my car at truck stops with my dog. Almost got stranded in Wyoming due to a snow storm shutting down the interstate, but managed to find an alternative route. It is doable.

I had my car breaks checked, etc, before starting out. I had lots of blankets but still froze sleeping in the car. I am making the return trip in mid January - decided to move back permanately. I am researching heaters for when the car is not running as I found the cold during sleeping in the car at night to be the most difficult thing. I friend of mine recommended tin coffee cans with candles in them - he claims they generate a lot of heat and he has used them when camping. I had to wake up every few hours and turn the car on to warm it up because I couldn't sleep due to the cold. One morning I woke up and the temperature was -7 - I was at a Wisconsin truck stop. My dog and I were shivering. Also I dreaded refueling because it was so bitter cold out. Driving past Chicago is a hassle because of all the tolls and traffic - I am going to try and avoid Chicago on my return trip. Also, driving over Snoqualmie pass (in WA in the cascades - route 90) may be a problem since snow sometimes makes it impassable unless you have a 4-wheel-drive and/or chains for your tires.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:43 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Jeez, I'd recommend an inexpensive motel. I too tried sleeping in the car at a rest stop once in -5 degree weather in Utah on a road trip one January a few years ago ...not pleasant.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestJourney... View Post
..... I am researching heaters for when the car is not running as I found the cold during sleeping in the car at night to be the most difficult thing. I friend of mine recommended tin coffee cans with candles in them - he claims they generate a lot of heat and he has used them when camping.
It's never a good idea to use any kind of open flame in a closed space - all of them can generate carbon monoxide. While a candle probably won't kill you, it might be enough to make you sick after inhaling its fumes for a few hours.

The best way to go is a nested sleeping bag such as a Wiggy's, but those are expensive .... if you're on a tight budget, I'd say to get Walmart's best bag, rated to the lowest temperature, and line it if necessary with a synthetic fleece bag. Insulation is far superior to any flame.

Oh, and remember that "cotton kills in the cold", don't wear cotton clothes in very cold weather because it loses its insulating value once it gets wet ... even from a little perspiration. Use synthetic or wool clothes.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Jeez, I'd recommend an inexpensive motel. I too tried sleeping in the car at a rest stop once in -5 degree weather in Utah on a road trip one January a few years ago ...not pleasant.
Yea...it was not pleasant. I am dreading the ride back and would prefer to do it in warm weather but circumstance has me going back in January. The problem with me staying in a motel is my dog - a pit bull. I have problems finding pet-friendly hotels that allow pit bulls.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's never a good idea to use any kind of open flame in a closed space - all of them can generate carbon monoxide. While a candle probably won't kill you, it might be enough to make you sick after inhaling its fumes for a few hours.

The best way to go is a nested sleeping bag such as a Wiggy's, but those are expensive .... if you're on a tight budget, I'd say to get Walmart's best bag, rated to the lowest temperature, and line it if necessary with a synthetic fleece bag. Insulation is far superior to any flame.

Oh, and remember that "cotton kills in the cold", don't wear cotton clothes in very cold weather because it loses its insulating value once it gets wet ... even from a little perspiration. Use synthetic or wool clothes.

Thanks for the tips!!! I am not comfortable with an open flame either and I am concerned about carbon monoxide/fumes, etc. I have been researching heaters that are safe for cars/enclosed spaces. I just found a propane heater that looks promising:

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater - Pop-The-Top Trading Post

I am going to keep researching - I have a few months. I wonder what the truck drivers use sleeping on the side of the road. I suspect the may use more then sleeping bags, but perhaps not. The OP might want to consider heat sources as well incase of a break down while driving even if he/she will use a motel .

I would also recommend to the OP joining AAA Plus before taking off on the trip.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestJourney... View Post
The problem with me staying in a motel is my dog - a pit bull. I have problems finding pet-friendly hotels that allow pit bulls.
Have you checked with LaQuinta Inns? They heavily market their "pet-friendliness" and when staying there, we've never even been asked what breed of dog we have. We recently made a 3500 mile cross-country move with our 65-lb dog and stayed at a couple of La Quinta Inns, Holiday Inn Select, and Best Western with no problems at all. I think Motel 6 is pet friendly as well.

Lynn

Old 11-05-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Have you checked with LaQuinta Inns? They heavily market their "pet-friendliness" and when staying there, we've never even been asked what breed of dog we have. We recently made a 3500 mile cross-country move with our 65-lb dog and stayed at a couple of La Quinta Inns, Holiday Inn Select, and Best Western with no problems at all. I think Motel 6 is pet friendly as well.

Lynn
Lynn:

Thanks! I have made a note of those hotels and will keep an eye out for them on my trip.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,404 times
definitely sleeping in the car is a bad idea (for both cold and safety reasons). One time I stopped for a quick snooze in ND in a McDonalds parking lot and someone called the cops on me.

I have an opportunity for a story here.

One time driving from Maine to Seattle, I drove 36 hours straight before stopping. It was during August and I was so tired by the time I hit Montana, that I thought I was halucinating because I was seeing huge flashes of light in the sky. I later found out it was the northern lights.

Advice, don't do what I did. I almost drove into a motel (to this day I can't remember what town it was in) and think I vaguely remember talking to an Elk or something that looked like an Elk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area