Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 AM

16,572 posts, read 27,266,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylee777 View Post
So the conclusion is Seattle basically is San Diego + Berkeley + San Francisco with a bit more on socially awkwardness. I guess the thing I'm discussing here is more of a west coast thing rather than Seattle.
Yes that's it! This is what I try to convey to everyone not from the west coast. The complaints about Seattle are common to San Francisco and San Diego as well.

To me, Seattle seems familiar for the most part. Not like some foreign country as is often talked about on these particular forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Maybe the behaviors listed just describe general West Coast weirdness?
Yes, we on the left coast have been described as "weird". those familiar with me in this forum have seen me post this before but; When I last left Seattle, the TSA guy at the airport mentioned how he couldn't wait to leave the west coast. This was triggered by my friends drivers license which was a New Hampshire one. He mentioned how SF and LA didn't work for him either and that he just doesn't understand the west coast.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:03 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,895,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Note my location
Usually Californians don't think of Richmond as a city in Contra Costa County - instead, they think of it as a city which sends its residents across the bay to San Quentin.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Usually Californians don't think of Richmond as a city in Contra Costa County - instead, they think of it as a city which sends its residents across the bay to San Quentin.
Richmond certainly is the stepchild of the Bay Area. It's like Kryptonite telling people you live here.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM

83 posts, read 247,023 times
Quote:
Yeah that's what I just said. I say that my best bet is to move away from west coast states. Came up with couple options already:

North Dakota for oil money (Oil boom is real. I heard that in Williston, ND, even McDonald workers get paid 15 bucks an hour. Not to mention logistic/warehouse/distributions which is what I been doing. And even with the living prices raising, it's still cheaper than Seattle.).

I am a fargo native and my uncle is working out there. I hope you are as tough as you think you actually are. Not to rain on your parade but people are renting out places on their farms with RV hookups at premium rates. Most of those are already filled anyway. They can't build housing quick enough. Many men live in "man camps." No joke, my uncle as a master electrician was lucky to get his own shack with running water and electricity. A BOOM is just that, it pops up with the money before it busts. You will not see women for months on end except when "entertainers" come to town (the date is not free btw).

Also, its not cheaper than Seattle. The oil boom has pushed prices to Manhattan levels, check the NPR story: The Downsides Of Living In An Oil Boomtown.

You also realize that the high one day on December last year was -14 before windchill and the rigs are not heated outside?...if you can do it more power to you, man.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM

102,062 posts, read 106,967,400 times
Quote:
I'm a loader at FedEx. I'm 24 years old, Asian, male. My roommate is 30 years old and about to turn 31 and he fits perfectly with my description of Seattlites. Dude can't seems to grow out of that college mentality. Dude often knock on my door over little things that don't matter like "chorizo is on sale at safeway." or "did you take my bag of cheese?" (He knocked on my door at 3:30am over that bag of cheese, remind you.). He also seems trying hard to fit in, for example I listen to hip-hop/rap/rnb, and he listen to death metal, now he's trying to talk like he from ghetto and bumping raps...I was like boy you ain't lasting a minute in actual ghetto.

Also something worth to mention, I've also dated a girl from Capitol Hill in Seattle when I was 21 (She was 25 at the time.)...Smart girl. She was a nurse. She's vegan, ultra liberal...while she's not as dorky and corny as my roommate, but she has that know-it-all, "you're an animal murderer/neo-con if you smoke cigarette or eat meat." type of mentality, which is also quite prevalent in Seattle. Socially challenged and ultra liberals seem to run Pac NW, one reason why I'm thinking about moving (Currently considering North Dakota for oil boom, Vegas for cheap price and one of my buddy is moving there or New Orleans for night life and cheaper than most of the West Coast.).
OP, I can't help thinking that part of the problem is your own condescending attitude. You seem to focus on the negative a lot. I'm sure there are nice people out there, but you're not seeing them. I'm not denying the odd behavior of your roommate, but there's something about the overall tone of your posts that says you might do with a bit of maturing yourself. You're not going to solve the problem by moving. You'll just be taking it with you, because to some extent it's in your mind. You seem like a negative person.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:22 AM

54 posts, read 122,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaukne View Post
I am a fargo native and my uncle is working out there. I hope you are as tough as you think you actually are. Not to rain on your parade but people are renting out places on their farms with RV hookups at premium rates. Most of those are already filled anyway. They can't build housing quick enough. Many men live in "man camps." No joke, my uncle as a master electrician was lucky to get his own shack with running water and electricity. A BOOM is just that, it pops up with the money before it busts. You will not see women for months on end except when "entertainers" come to town (the date is not free btw).

Also, its not cheaper than Seattle. The oil boom has pushed prices to Manhattan levels, check the NPR story: The Downsides Of Living In An Oil Boomtown.

You also realize that the high one day on December last year was -14 before windchill and the rigs are not heated outside?...if you can do it more power to you, man.
Hmmm. Interesting story. As for weather part, I do in fact realized it and prepared for it. Also I do realized that prices might go up somehow, but Manhattan level? Gotta check that out. Thanks for the warning about the "man camp" though. Guess I'm one of the mill huh? Judging from all you said, I might come up with something if I do plan on going for ND. Also I'm not leaving out the other 2 options.

Also how about Williston, ND? You're talking about Fargo but I checked the map and that's on the other side of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I can't help thinking that part of the problem is your own condescending attitude. You seem to focus on the negative a lot. I'm sure there are nice people out there, but you're not seeing them. I'm not denying the odd behavior of your roommate, but there's something about the overall tone of your posts that says you might do with a bit of maturing yourself. You're not going to solve the problem by moving. You'll just be taking it with you, because to some extent it's in your mind. You seem like a negative person.
Yeah I got people telling me to stay positive, but have you ever thought about WHY am I like that? I mean, people act like that for a reason.

Like Gentoo have said, all the stuffs I've listed in this thread is a west coast problem. With that being said, what made you think I'll be happier or more positive if I stay? Perhaps I am the way I am because I'm not in the environment that fits me? Thought about that?

Matter fact, you sounds kinda condescending to me. Next time, stop telling everyone "it's all your fault you should blame yourself for all your problems." because by doing that, eventually everyone around you will scream out "douchebag" in their mind when they're around you.

Last edited by cylee777; 06-04-2013 at 02:45 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. Interesting story. As for weather part, I do in fact realized it and prepared for it. Also I do realized that prices might go up somehow, but Manhattan level? Gotta check that out. Thanks for the warning about the "man camp" though. Guess I'm one of the mill huh? Judging from all you said, I might come up with something if I do plan on going for ND. Also I'm not leaving out the other 2 options.

Also how about Williston, ND? You're talking about Fargo but I checked the map and that's on the other side of the state.

Yeah I got people telling me to stay positive, but have you ever thought about WHY am I like that? I mean, people act like that for a reason.

Like Gentoo have said, all the stuffs I've listed in this thread is a west coast problem. With that being said, what made you think I'll be happier or more positive if I stay? Perhaps I am the way I am because I'm not in the environment that fits me? Thought about that?

Matter fact, you sounds kinda condescending to me. Next time, stop telling everyone "it's all your fault you should blame yourself for all your problems." because by doing that, eventually everyone around you will scream out "douchebag" in their mind when they're around you.
You just do you. Your thing and ignore the negative stuff. Just before I logged on here, I was reading some stuff on my Facebook. See, I have a tentative opportunity to actually move to WA. A friend may have a room for me in Tacoma. Now most of my friends are still in San Diego. What do you think a bunch of people from Southern California had to say about Tacoma?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM

83 posts, read 247,023 times
Quote:

Yes, I'm from Fargo but referring to Williston as a ton of people move out there for work. Fargo has little if any relation other than people moving between the two parts.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 AM

102,062 posts, read 106,967,400 times
Quote:

This was my point, exactly. IMO you're that way not because the entire West Coast is lame (give me a break! ), but because you have some kind of deep-seated issues that you need to look at and resolve. You think ND isn't going to be lame?! And socially-challenged?? Even if you were to move to New Orleans, I bet you wouldn't be happy, after a honeymoon period of enjoying the distractions. But go ahead, give it a shot, and report back to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area