Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,197,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhc99 View Post
(the east side of the Cascades is exteremely Conservative and close-minded)
I'm sorry to say but that is a bunch of nonsense. Eastern Wa. is a mixed-bag. I've discussed it here before, but just because Seattle is so *liberal* does NOT mean it's open-minded in any sense of the imagination. The population is extremely close-minded here as well if you have an opinion that differs from theirs, but such is life pretty much anywhere. I'm just pointing out how much of a fallacy the open-minded Seattleite is; because it's not true. If you're very liberal then you'll be welcomed with open arms, middle-of-the road...so-so; conservative= discriminating fascist (I imagine parking downtown during Oct-Nov 2008 with a McCain/Palin '08sticker overnight would get you a key mark or broken window). People here are not any more open-minded about differing ideals than anywhere else, in fact, I've found in my 6.5 years here that they are less open-minded. That, however, is a subject for a different time and place.

On a hot sunny day this area is great, and there are plenty of great outdoor places within short drives. I really like Wallace Falls hike in the summer, as well as Mt. Si and Diablo lake.

Last edited by thatguy950; 05-31-2013 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 06:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,546 posts, read 81,045,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
I'm sorry to say but that is a bunch of nonsense. Eastern Wa. is a mixed-bag. I've discussed it here before, but just because Seattle is so *liberal* does NOT mean it's open-minded in any sense of the imagination. The population is extremely close-minded here as well if you have an opinion that differs from theirs, but such is life pretty much anywhere. I'm just pointing out how much of a fallacy the open-minded Seattleite is; because it's not true. If you're very liberal then you'll be welcomed with open arms, middle-of-the road...so-so; conservative= Nazi fascist (I imagine parking downtown during Oct-Nov 2008 with a McCain/Palin '08sticker overnight would get you a key mark or broken window). People here are not any more open-minded about differing ideals than anywhere else, in fact, I've found in my 6.5 years here that they are less open-minded. That, however, is a subject for a different time and place.
Probably true for the most part, but there are some people in Seattle, and even more on the eastside that are conservative or libertarian in their political views. Sammamish, for example, almost always votes with a slight majority to the republican candidates. Other than the occupy people and the wannabees most people I have dealt with over 20 years here just prefer not to talk politics, and keep their views to themselves. In Seattle probably because they are afraid of persecution.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
6. Relatively liberal population
----Or, I suppose I should say, doesn't freak out if you don't conform to their version of "normal". I guess what I mean is someplace where they don't freak out if you don't attend church or vote Republican, but also don't demonize you for wearing deodorant and eating meat and possessing secured, locked-up firearms.
I'm a left-leaning moderate and my husband is an ever so slightly right leaning moderate. We vaccinate our kid, but we don't spank her. He has guns but is pro gay marriage and thinks churches should be taxed and pot should be legal but only idiots smoke it.
You can live here indefinitely without your neighbors knowing your views on any of this. Those you tell likely won't think more or less of you for any of these.

Seattle has what you want in spades except our public transportation is mostly buses, with only one light rail line so far, and I'm not sure about your particular job markets. Two major things should be considered:

1) Can you handle 7 months in a row of mostly overcast and rain? The cities on your list have widely varied weather but Seattle is a special case. On this day we are enjoying perhaps only our 15th mostly sunny day since the beginning of November. If you like FL and AZ you may especially hate Seattle weather outside of summer, which most people agree is pretty perfect.

2) Can you handle one of the more expensive housing markets in the country? Like MD, the pleasantness burns out when you don't have enough cash. WA taxes are lower than for many other states, however.

I think Seattle is not a place to retire or semi-retire to, unless you are really drawn to the type of beauty found in the Pacific Northwest and can handle the things above. That you mention family tells me you are drawn somewhat by that. Without putting forth more effort to make friends than you may be used to, living in the Seattle area can be a solitary existence.

If you like heat and don't mind being away from family (or they can visit you), my gut feeling is that Tucson might fit best, with Denver second. Also consider Albuquerque and Colorado Springs, both cities with military installations. Colorado Springs leans conservative.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:51 PM

260 posts, read 757,290 times
As said in all the other posts, I think you guys would fit in. The only things to be prepared for would be the weather (I like it, and the summers can't be beat, but coming from Florida, it's quite a shock), and prices/cost of living (much higher than most of the country, especially high when compared to Florida.) While Seattle is considered to be one of the most liberal parts of the country, moderates get a pass, conservatives, and especially open conservatives do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area