Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:53 AM

181 posts, read 604,768 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the FL panhandle and mostly hate it. It's too small and conservative and despite what "cost of living calculators" say, the cost of living is not as cheap as it should be compared to the pay.

My husband is in the Air Force and will retire in 2.5 years. He has connections for post military employment with Boeing, Lockheed, and technically could probably work in any defense contractor/aviation/logistics field, or work on a military installation as a civilian. I'm a x-ray/ct tech specializing in ER medicine. Surprisingly, the health care career track is not as secure as people think, unless you are a physician, nurse, PA or nurse practitioner.

Since Boeing and Lockheed have lots of locations, as do many other possibilities for him, I started investigating Seattle. So far, I'm liking what I see, even though I've never been there. Hubs has been multiple times and likes it a lot, at least from a visitor's viewpoint.

What I'm looking for in a place to live:
1. Good job market for each of us
2. Decent arts collegiate opportunities for our teen daughter.
3. Accessibility to good food sources for home cooking and good restaurants
4. Geographically pleasant
5. Relatively educated population
6. Relatively liberal population
----Or, I suppose I should say, doesn't freak out if you don't conform to their version of "normal". I guess what I mean is someplace where they don't freak out if you don't attend church or vote Republican, but also don't demonize you for wearing deodorant and eating meat and possessing secured, locked-up firearms.
I'm a left-leaning moderate and my husband is an ever so slightly right leaning moderate. We vaccinate our kid, but we don't spank her. He has guns but is pro gay marriage and thinks churches should be taxed and pot should be legal but only idiots smoke it.
7. Things to do, arts, outdoor recreation, movies, plays, quizzo, hashing, etc.
8. Public transportation is a plus.

Other places we are considering: Philadelphia--lived in the area and loved it, for the most part. Not many jobs available in my field at the moment, though.
Grand Rapids, MI--We are both from there, have some family there and it's been booming actually of late
Detroit area--We both also lived here and have lots of family in the area.
Annapolis/Lexington Park/Pax River, MD--I'm mostly "meh" about it. I think it's a cool area if you have a bunch of money, but the pleasant factor burns out pretty quickly when you don't have tons of cash.

I know my husband would also love Phoenix, Tuscon, Denver area.

I'm opening myself to strangers on the internet to help plan my family's next chapter of our lives.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
There is Scott AFB in Illinois and Boeing is across the river in St Louis, MO, not a terrible communte and you can take the metro link from Belleville (near the AFB) to Lambert which is close to Boeing.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 AM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Any area on the West Coast with Boeing or Lockheed facilities would fit your bill, all around. I've never known anyone on the West Coast to ever mention or attend church, outside of a couple of relatives of mine. Zen and other Buddhist centers are more the West Coast thing, ha.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:35 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,436,364 times
1.Good job market for each of us - Strong Job Market, Tech based economy on the rise! But lots of options.

2. Decent arts collegiate opportunities for our teen daughter. Seattle has Seattle U, Seattle Pacific University and University of Washington (Go Huskies). Rest of the Metro hass Pacific Lutheran University, University of Puget Sound (Private), UW Branches in Tacoma and Bothel, Northwest University, digiPen (one of the nations best digital arts schools) and a few other options.

3. Accessibility to good food sources for home cooking and good restaurants - Best Seafood in america! Melting pot of many cultures. Asian food is amazing here. Comfort food and typical restaurants are also here.

4. Geographically pleasant - Puget sound to the west, Lake washington to the east, Mt. Rainier to the south, and nestled between the Olympic mountains over the sound and the cascades to the east

5. Relatively educated population - One of the most educated cities in America with highest amount of college graduates

6. Relatively liberal population- One of the most liberal cities in the US! Pot is legalized on the state level here in Washington.

7. Things to do, arts, outdoor recreation, movies, plays, quizzo, hashing, etc. Surrounded by some of the world's most beautiful scenery. Water activities on many lakes on the Puget Sound. Olympic and Cascade mountains for Hiking, Skiing, and Snowboarding; Mt. Rainier is breathtaking. Downtown Seattle offers a wide range of concert venues, Symphonies, and theater. Downtown Seattle also has all the big city attractions you would expect, Pro Sports, parks, a 20 story Great Wheel, many world renowned museums, plenty of shopping whether chain stores or High end shopping centers. You shouldn't have a problem with things to do
8. Public transportation is a plus. Light rail is currently being built to connect the entire Seattle metro area but until then light rail goes from airport to downtown.

Hope this helped!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:15 AM

181 posts, read 604,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is Scott AFB in Illinois and Boeing is across the river in St Louis, MO, not a terrible communte and you can take the metro link from Belleville (near the AFB) to Lambert which is close to Boeing.

Well, hubs doesn't want to live in Illinois due to gun laws. He has been to Scott AFB for some TDY thing though and felt neutrally about it.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,155,784 times
Other than two possible issues, I think Seattle has everything you asked for.

1. Boeing just announced several rounds of major layoffs

2. If your husband likes Phoenix, Tuscon, & Denver areas, he probably will not be happy with the 9 months or so of cloudy, rainy weather here.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM

38 posts, read 59,283 times
We are in the same boat ad you! My husband gets out after 10yrs as a Pilot in the Navy next year and we are considering moving back to WA State (we live in FL but have 1 last move to VA). I'm from an island up north and the only con about Western Washington (the east side of the Cascades is exteremely Conservative and close-minded) is the wet dreary weather 9-10 months out of the year. If your not from there you could develop seasonal depression which is common up there. My father was in the Navy for 20years so thats why I grew up in WA. Ive visited Seattle so many times in my life and I absolutely love the city. Its not particulary dangerous unless your walking around downtown Pikes Place at 3 am (you mught get robbed) but most people arent doing that so.. My best friend's husband works for Boeing and lives at the South end of Whidbey Island and walks on the ferry every morning and leaves his car on the other side to drive 15min into Boeing. They love how easy it is to commute there. We are looking into the Seattle Suburbs (East side) and I would suggest Kirkland, Bellevue, and maybe Issaquah if he ends up working for Boeing. The schools in those suburbs are the best in the state (I wasnt sure if you mentioned that you had kids or not). There is a lot of diversity in Western Washington which equates to awesome food and restaurants. They are tons of independant coffee stands (Drive tru) which are awesome. The scenery there just cant be beat- Pacific Ocean, sunsets, rivers, lakes, mountains with snow etc. The only other places we are considering moving to permanently is outside of Boston (i have relatives there) and somewhere in NC for the weather.. I hope this helps you! Good luck!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 AM

38 posts, read 59,283 times
The one other con is that WA in general is a LOT more exepensive than Florida.. The median home price in those suburbs I mentioned start in the mid 400's for an older home.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,082,309 times
I've been to the Panhandle exactly twice (not counting "just passing through on I-10"). That being Pensacola, specifically, and both times toured the Pensacola NAS and stayed locally.

Did the Pensacola Beach thing once, and a couple other tourist-type activities. Most-recent was in the spring, and it was nice (April-May of 2007, as I recall). "Nice" being 70s and good weather, minus any significant humidity. In fact my opinion is those beaches are the most striking I've ever seen: white sands, blue ocean (Gulf of Mexico). Utterly gorgeous. That could be addictive, in-season.

Seemed nice enough, the place that-is, but sleepy. Hurricanes busting through periodically must be a bummer. Business did not seem to be booming. The large swamp not far from town (west and north) probably becomes a steamy jungle half the year. Deep South is what it is, for better or worse.

But then again, Seattle has earthquakes and is in the shadow of one of the most most dangerous volcanoes in the world (Mt. Rainier). God help us all if that goes, or even sorta-kinda goes (Lahar danger = extreme). The weather is crummy often as not, which in an amusing twist sort of describes the Panhandle as-well, right? When it's boiling hot in the latter, people probably don't run around outside too much (by-choice, anyway). Well, when it's cold and raining in Seattle, I too minimize outdoor time.

Seattle seems to hit your criteria, in line-item detail. I lived for years in one of the most "liberal" parts of the U.S., and no one bothered me one way or another about what I did, or did not, feel. There were very few exceptions, which I blew off/let go: they can have their opinion, and me mine. "Diversity" means we simply seek out others who think/feel like we do, in my opinion, that being a natural human tendency (tribalism). In "diverse" places like Seattle and San Francisco, there are plenty of opinions and like-minded folks for whatever you're into. That is probably a plus, based on what you've mentioned.

In the end, though, why would you care? It has no bearing on your day-to-day professional life, so simply...don't...talk about it (political BS, or he-said/she-said). If someone dresses you down for a viewpoint or religious/political affiliation, smile sweetly and invite them to kiss your a55. With plenty of people witnessing. They'll go away, fast.

If you're far Right in a far Left place, or vice-versa, or anywhere in between, just mind your own affairs. Vote with your feet, and at the ballot box. One of the great things about Seattle is this so-called "freeze", that being people mostly keeping the hell out of others' business and not really being willing to get terribly involved on a neighborhood basis. I am all for that, and simply won't tolerate others in my business, frankly. That cuts both ways, so be aware of the attitude because it does appear to be prevalent here (depending who you ask, I suspect).

Grand Rapids, and Detroit. Indeed. I grew up in Birmingham/Beverly Hills (north suburbs of Detroit) and it's still nice as ever as of last time I spent time there, 2011. Despite the disaster that is downtown.

Didn't know Grand Rapids was booming. I would live in the Franklin/Beverly Hills/Bloomfield/Birmingham area again, if there was a compelling reason (not so much, in my case). May wish to consider that closely, too, though my biased-opinion is that the nicer parts of Seattle metro are right in there with the aforementioned area, with better opportunity in my field (senior management, tech). Your fields...?

In fact I made that very decision two years ago, with co-equal reasons to be in Michigan or Seattle metro (property ownership, in my case), and the latter won handily "all things considered" (many factors).

Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,314,878 times
It sounds like you guys would fit right in here. I know quite a few leaning left or leaning right folks who love it here, and also have secured firearms (a couple are concealed-carry), love meat and granola, and equally love racing cars and climbing mountains.

Seattle is painted as the San Francisco "lite" in the conservative media. I just laugh whenever I get a whiff of it elsewhere, and even in other Democrat strongholds like Chicago, where I have family, I occassionally get an email from my mom or dad asking "Those San Fran nutjobs are dreaming up another one! Are you guys too?" The only time I ever said "yes" was the plastic bag ban but I've gotten over that one by shopping elsewhere

So ... the other places you guys would probably fit in well except the Phoenix area ... you would hate it, the husband would probably tolerate it there. Tuscon is pretty "liberal" for an awash-red state like AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area