Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,249 times

Advertisements

Do what interests you. If you are honestly into the outdoors, do join the Mountaineers. I was a member there for quite a while; I really enjoyed the outings. I taught classes, was on a committee, went to the ski lodges. It was a fantastic experience, and there are many members of your age, and of both genders. Many of them tend to be single. BUT don't join the Mountaineers (for instance) and fake an interest in what they are doing just so you can "catch" a woman. And for that matter, don't be obvious in your goal to find a "hottie". If you honestly meet someone that you connect with, that is honestly interested in you as well, then that's great. But you can't appear to be pursuing all women - if that makes sense? It's creepy when guys do that.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizon View Post
I'm already a part of a karate class, but the demographic area is pretty small, not the best venue. There is a hot yoga club right by me though, I think i'll drop in at one of the community classes and see how that goes. Just walking around and checking things out is a good point-that was something I used to do a lot of when I first came here and have kind of let slip as time has gone by. I did go walk around the U district for a while yesterday in the spirit, though it's still pretty challenging for me to just try and start up a conversation with a stranger. Some people really have a gift for that, I guess.

Internet dating sites are kind of weird for me. I've been on OKC for years and generally go through a similar cycle with it: I suddenly get inspired to re-do/update my profile and pictures and furiously scan profiles and sends messages for a week or two until I get discouraged by a lack of responses/interest and find myself pulling up the same old profiles again and again, prompting me to fall out of it for a couple of months until it goes all over again.

So yeah, I don't know about that, maybe I could try other sites like match.com or plentyoffish and collate resources or something. I think among Millenials it's still expected for the guy to initiate or what have you, which doesn't particularly bother me.

Anyways, thanks for the advice so far all. Actually, i've had another idea I should probably throw out here: Acting in a play has kind of been one of my bucket list items, regardless of whether or not I meet women from it. Is there like, a hub or something in the Seattle area for public casting calls or anything like that?
OP, have you tried hiking with the Mountaineers, or joining those neighborhood soccer leagues? A neighbor told me he's run into a lot of married couples who say they met playing soccer. Also, Greenlake is a huge singles scene; people biking, running, skating around the lake, and swimming in the summer. I haven't been in Seattle for a few years, but when I was there, the Honeybear Bakery was known as an active singles scene. They have good food, music in the evenings, and it was one of THE places to hang out. Google it. Also, your interest in acting is good. Taking a theater improv class tends to be a great way to meet women.

Good luck. Let us know if any of your chosen strategies bears fruit.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,908 times
I appreciate all the well-intentioned advice thus far. I understand the importance of not seeming desperate or obviously trolling for girls. My problem isn't approaching women or anything, it's just being in situations where i'd even meet them at all. Again, the issue is that if I follow my normal routines days will just go by seeing and interacting with the same people over and over again which does nothing for my romantic life (And while I make some effort at online dating, i'm really not a big fan of the high effort/low reward involved), so that's what i'm trying to fix.

I really do enjoy hiking and the outdoors, i've just really bad at motivating myself to actually go out and enjoy it. Joining a group like the Mountaineers sounds like a good step. I may still try Yoga anyways, it sounds like it might benefit my martial arts from a flexibility standpoint. I've never been to Greenlake, so that might be another good Saturday trip or something. I'll let people know how things go.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,330,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaukne View Post
Second, women know the ratio is high. Then you become the "creepy" Yoga guy. Appreciating a woman's body used to be manly, now its masogynistic. You have a high chance of being the guy who goes there to check women out, (or even worse try and make conversation, gasp!) It took me 6 months at the YWCA to finally start getting hello's before walking into the studio, from women who I wouldn't even check out in the first place. I was just doing Yoga to improve my flexibility to be honest.
It's not a complaint of sheerly looking at a woman's body, it's the context. Women don't go to yoga to pick up men. If you're the guy picking up women at yoga, you're just desperate and women don't like men who appear desperate. Even if you are desperate, don't make it obvious.

People notice the opposite sex when they are in groups of friends. First of all, it let's them know that you are social and capable of making friends and having a network. Secondly, when a dude is by himself approaching women, some women are more inclined to assume you're a desperate loser once again. Having wingmen by your side gives the impression that you're just out to have a good time with friends and oh hey there goes a pretty lady maybe i'll give her some of my time (but don't get too cocky). If she rejects you in anyway, you'll feel safer by quickly going back to your friends and brushing it off easily.

Obviously, this won't really be a problem for you if you are extremely good looking. But for the average to downright ugly guys, having male friends will be the biggest help. In bars and anywhere else. Just remember that both sexes are attracted to the social butterflies so you need to convey that as much as possible.

And make sure you're nice to her friends too. I was at an art gallery with a couple girlfriends and this wimpy Microsoftie was drooling over my friend but she didn't know it. I finally pulled him aside, set him straight, told him to play it cool and went back and pointed him out to my friend. He left with her phone number. Never burn your bridges!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,064 times
Grow up in a city of 50k in a state of less then a million people, then you can gripe about having a hard time trying to find and date women.

Moving to Seattle will be like dating nirvana for me, especially all those lovely Asian ladies and geeky girls!

Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
It's not a complaint of sheerly looking at a woman's body, it's the context. Women don't go to yoga to pick up men. If you're the guy picking up women at yoga, you're just desperate and women don't like men who appear desperate. Even if you are desperate, don't make it obvious.
I disagree. I think yoga class is a really good idea. And he wouldn't be there just to meet women, he said the stretching and all would enhance his martial arts. In the Relationships forum, women are ALWAYS suggesting to guys they take a yoga class, they're great for meeting women.

Tai Chi and Chi Gung classes are also good for that, since you mentioned martial arts. There's an acupuncturist in the University District, Dr. Wang (pronounced: "Wong"), who teaches Chi Gung in Ravenna Park on weekends for very cheap. Look him up.

Another tip: I don't know what gym you go to, but the YMCA gym in the U District on 50th NE is a very friendly place where people are casual and open to chatting. It's mostly students and people in their 20's and 30's, and is a bit of a singles scene. Membership is cheap.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 PM

658 posts, read 1,553,504 times
No. Thing that sucks about Seattle, there are small groups you can get into if you join something like a club or church or something, but it's really hard to find real friends, and harder to find a girlfriend (if you're a guy) or boyfriend (if you're a girl), if you don't want to date any of the people in your social circles. Sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
the YMCA gym in the U District on 50th NE. Membership is cheap.
WRONG!!! $60 a month RIDICULOUSLY HIGH COST, NO POOL, NO AMENITIES, ONLY A TINY UNDERGROUND GYM AND SOME SMALL CLASSES!!! AND FOR A PRICE HIGHER THAN ELITE HEALTH CLUBS IN OTHER METROPOLITAN AREAS!!!

THEY PUT THE PRICE SO HIGH BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONLY GYM IN UNIVERSITY DISTRICT AND THEY ARE EXPLOITING THE STUDENTS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Grow up in a city of 50k in a state of less then a million people, then you can gripe about having a hard time trying to find and date women.

Moving to Seattle will be like dating nirvana for me, especially all those lovely Asian ladies and geeky girls!
ERRHHHH WRONG ANSWER. Really Hard to find attractive single girls worthy of dating in this city! And that's if you are really good looking and social! If you aren't then it will be next to impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
For someone like me who has no desire to have children, I plan on hitting the internet dating scene hard when I finally move to the area. Trying to meet woman face to face and only have it turn into nothing cause they wanna raise a family gets really old fast, hard on the emotions and wallet.
Good luck with that. 99% of girls on internet dating sites, especially in Seattle area, are fat or ugly or both. Because attractive girls don't need to get on internet dating sites, except in the rare case they just don't like anyone in their social circles. But hey, if you like fat cows, then go ahead, there's plenty desperate fat cows on there. Personally, blubber disgusts me.

Last edited by certsevtxert; 06-03-2013 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
No. Thing that sucks about Seattle, there are small groups you can get into if you join something like a club or church or something, but it's really hard to find real friends, and harder to find a girlfriend (if you're a guy) or boyfriend (if you're a girl), if you don't want to date any of the people in your social circles. Sucks.

WRONG!!! $60 a month RIDICULOUSLY HIGH COST, NO POOL, NO AMENITIES, ONLY A TINY UNDERGROUND GYM AND SOME SMALL CLASSES!!! AND FOR A PRICE HIGHER THAN ELITE HEALTH CLUBS IN OTHER METROPOLITAN AREAS!!!

THEY PUT THE PRICE SO HIGH BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONLY GYM IN UNIVERSITY DISTRICT AND THEY ARE EXPLOITING THE STUDENTS!!!

ERRHHHH WRONG ANSWER. Really Hard to find attractive single girls worthy of dating in this city! And that's if you are really good looking and social! If you aren't then it will be next to impossible!

Good luck with that. 99% of girls on internet dating sites, especially in Seattle area, are fat or ugly or both. Because attractive girls don't need to get on internet dating sites, except in the rare case they just don't like anyone in their social circles. But hey, if you like fat cows, then go ahead, there's plenty desperate fat cows on there. Personally, blubber disgusts me.
Attractive single girls are everywhere in Seattle. Just talk to them!

The YMCA gym isn't "tiny", nor is it underground. It's on 2 floors, and the main floor was expanded to make a cardio room. If what you say is true about their rates, though, it sounds like they've gone nuts with the rates. Hard to believe.

Attractive women in the Seattle area DO have to use online dating, because nobody ever approaches them! The Seattle Freeze forces them to do online dating!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 PM

658 posts, read 1,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Attractive single girls are everywhere in Seattle. Just talk to them!

The YMCA gym isn't "tiny", nor is it underground. It's on 2 floors, and the main floor was expanded to make a cardio room. If what you say is true about their rates, though, it sounds like they've gone nuts with the rates. Hard to believe.

Attractive women in the Seattle area DO have to use online dating, because nobody ever approaches them! The Seattle Freeze forces them to do online dating!
"Attractive" is relative.

the YMCA on 50th is TINY and UNDERGROUND. It is 10% the size of any other gym. It's like the size of two medium-size bedrooms. It is below ground level. The level of the street is one floor above the weight room. In other words, UNDERGROUND.

I agree that the Seattle Freeze sucks!

I've seen a couple attractive girls here so far. They were married (early 20's). Most of them though I do not find attractive.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,064 times
I think your standards of women greatly differs from mine certs. May I suggest moving to California or New York as it seems the types of pretty gals you wanna chase after are gonna be there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area