Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post

So just how much sunlight does Seattle get?

I have taken great care to calculate exactly how much sunlight difference between Seattle, and Los Angeles.

Accounting the following I was able to come up with a real, actual quantifiable number, that explains why people from sunnier climates feel that Seattle gets so little sunlight.
(As the facts show, it get very little sunlight.. less than HALF the true sunlight radiation of Los Angeles, per year.)
  • Annual Days of sunlight
  • Monthly days of cloudiness
  • Angle of the sun

ANNUAL DAYS OF SUNLIGHT/CLOUDS

SEATTLE-TACOMA
CLOUDY: 225
SUNNY: 140

LOS ANGELES CITY
CLOUDY: 74
SUNNY: 291

TOTAL YEARLY HOURS OF ACTUAL SUNLIGHT (NOT OVERCAST) INCLUDING ANGLE DIFFERENCE:

SEATTLE-TACOMA: 1563.769 HOURS
LOS ANGELES CITY: 3570.562 HOURS

Percentage of LESS SUNLIGHT in Seattle vs Los Angeles: 0.562038
Percentage of MORE SUNLIGHT in Los Angeles vs Seattle: 2.283305

Seattle gets 56.2% Less Sunlight Than Los Angeles.
Los Angeles gets 228.3% More Sunlight Than Seattle.

Please see my detailed Excel sheet that I made citing all the calculations and sources.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa

You made a discovery. Ever thought about writing a book?

Also, why not say, have a chart based on clouds in Seattle vs pollution in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 PM

323 posts, read 448,762 times
Swerver - Thanks for sticking your neck out for another childish insult or guilty "verdict".

Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
Yea, actually I research extensively. I spent 6 months doing research before moving here. And also spent a good amount of time on city-data reading.

Unfortunately, all the Seattlites claim "OH IT'S FINE HERE, IT DOESN'T RAIN MUCH." BULL SH**.
Further, even though Seattle gets less total rain accumulation than most major cities, it doesn't matter because it's always raining, - well not raining - DRIZZLING. And dreadfully overcast.

The people whose fault it is, is all these stupid Seattlites who've never been to another city, who try to tell the world "Oh, the weather is beautiful and it's always sunny, the stories aren't true about 'always raining in Seattle', it almost never rains here!" BULL SH**!!!

So I created this thread to inform unsuspecting victims of Seattlite LIES about the true state of the dreadful weather in Seattle.

Wow, did you drop out of high school?
I WAS DOING MATH NOT ENGLISH. MATH SAYS 200% IS DOUBLE. retard.

p.s. yes it's 100% additional. But when using specific numbers, numbers that CAN BE PUT INTO AN EQUATION, you would not use the ADDITIONAL AMOUNT without including the ORIGINAL AMOUNT; thus it is correct to say double is 200%.

1563.769* 1.283 (aka 128.3%) = 2006.316 Hours
****WRONG.

1563.769* 2.283 (aka 228.3%) = 3570.085 Hours
And the verdict is... 228.3%

PLEASE DO THE MATH BEFORE SAYING STUPID THINGS.

p.s. the answer is off by a few tenths of an hour (3570.562 vs 3570.085) because we rounded to the nearest decimal instead of taking it to the full 6 or 12 or however many digits

I will laugh my face off when you move here and you HATE IT.
p.s. it takes about a year to really feel the drain of Seattle weather. The first year is OK. But the second year is dreadful. The third year.. you get the point.
I almost had a bit of sympathy for you...that is until you called Seattleites stupid.

Roughly 60% of Seattleites are transplants from out of state.That right there tells us that the majority of Seattleites have been elsewhere.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I almost had a bit of sympathy for you...that is until you called Seattleites stupid.

Roughly 60% of Seattleites are transplants from out of state.That right there tells us that the majority of Seattleites have been elsewhere.
Hey, SEATTLERAIN, go away! Nobody likes you! Boooooooooooooo!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,623 times
I was pretty surprised the other day when it was raining and I still needed sunglasses because it was so bright outside. The clouds are far less dreary and persistent than I was expecting.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
1. Locals will tell you that it doesn't rain all the time - because it doesn't - but most of us will point out that it is cloudy a lot. And if you Google "Seattle weather" I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of factual data and first hand testimonials. But those clouds don't necessarily mean it's not bright out. There are many days here where you see bright white skies. In L.A. it's often really "sunny" but if you look up you'll notice that you won't see the blue sky due to the creepy thick haze or smog, which isn't counted as "cloudy." And I lived in that ugly, cement covered city for four years, and currently travel there quite a bit for work and personal, so I know the weather.

2. Why do people bitching about the weather always make it sound as if it's Seattle residents' fault? Like we did something to cause it? There's an accusatory tone to it, which I don't get.

3. There is no such thing as a perfect city. The weather is the only thing keeping our population growth under control, so I'm thankful for it. It still beats horrid humidity, deadly hot or cold, hurricanes or tornadoes IMO. The weather here won't kill you just from going outside, meaning people here can actually enjoy outdoor recreation year-round if they are just willing to bring a rain jacket in case of showers. People in the midwest don't leave their homes in the winter; people in the south don't get to enjoy their summers because it's too damn hot. L.A.'s pollution can actually cause premature aging and lung damage long-term in addition to skin cancer, so it's not exactly exempt from criticism.

4. If the weather makes you hate your life here, MOVE.
Right on! Tried to rep you but had to spread the love around! When my DH who moved us here from TX (mostly because he hated the weather LOL) starts to complain about the rain, I nip it in the bud. It's weather!! If you live all around the country you will find that every place has something that is problematic. MOVE ON.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaukne View Post
Same here from a Minnsotan. LA is a bad benchmark because it has a unique Mediterranean climate found in few other places, offering low humudity and plenty of sun. Of course LA has great weather, thats why people move there.

I think its implied I'm not moving to Seattle for the weather...OP please spend a winter in MN for me, let me know how much Seattle still sucks, k?
Or sit outside in MN on a summer night and get feasted on by the state bird, the mosquito! (I grew up 4 hours south of Minneapolis)

Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 PM

83 posts, read 247,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Or sit outside in MN on a summer night and get feasted on by the state bird, the mosquito! (I grew up 4 hours south of Minneapolis)
that is why I'm moving! We had snow in MAY for Pete's sake.

Weather is totally relative to where you are. I'm not sure that people from LA don't realize they are very spolied to many other people, especially the Midwest where we have no ocean to moderate weather extremes.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM

195 posts, read 377,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post

No. 228% of the amount that Seattle gets, ok. 228% more, no.
You forgot the .3 !!! stop rounding off or everyone will think the sun never stops shining here and all move here under false pretenses !!!

If there's one thing I REALLY hate it's (deliberate) rounding errors

Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,773,186 times
Hey, did you guys know that Alaska is colder than Texas? IT'S TRUE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area