Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 AM

195 posts, read 335,865 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will also need to wait on being able to transfer our current jobs to a position in one of the local branches of the companies we work for. For me, that might mean very little notice in when I would need to start. I'd rather have a place to stay, like a home we own. The idea of trying to move everything, transfer my position and coordinate that with a landlord or rental agency sounds really unappealing. We have a unique housing situation now, and don't pay for the home we live in beyond homeowners insurance, taxes and utilities.

I do see the point being made, and it does give us some more to think about.

Also, from what I heard Seattle doesn't really have any slums. What types of crime is most prevalent in "bad" areas? One Home we looked at was surrounded by meth/narcotics arrests. That's a no no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett_ptista View Post
Lots to do, lots of different people ... Sounds ideal.
As a real estate agent , what's your take on renting vs. buying? Renting would be massively inconvenient, and cost us more imo, especially factoring in moving and / or storage costs.
As a real estate agent, as someone whose livelihood depends on people buying houses, I think people should buy a new house once a month
But from a practical standpoint, what if you buy a house based on what people told you on the City-Data forums and on a drive through the neighborhood? What if you just hate the neighborhood immediately after moving in? Even though Ira told you it was a fun neighborhood?
From a practical standpoint, it makes sense to take a few months or longer to get to know an area by renting. If you buy a house that you find out you don't want, you're stuck with it. Yes, there's a chance that you'll be happy in the house and the neighborhood you buy in, but there's a chance you won't, and that can be extremely costly. What if the real estate market changes, and you're stuck with a house that's hard to sell?
At the same time, I understand that a lot of people just feel better when they own a house. I know a bunch of people that bought houses when they moved to the Seattle area, and most of them don't regret it. You're not doomed to misery and failure because you buy a house in a place you're not familiar with. But it is a riskier thing to do.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:

Also, from what I heard Seattle doesn't really have any slums. What types of crime is most prevalent in "bad" areas? One Home we looked at was surrounded by meth/narcotics arrests. That's a no no.
Theft and drugs go hand in hand. Burglary and car prowls along with drug abuse are the biggest problems. The only thing I'd mention is the theft doesn't necessarily occur only where the abusers live (but it's higher there). It's not unusual to see higher theft rates on bus lines/arterials as the druggies branch out to find stuff to steal.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
My husband and I will also need to wait on being able to transfer our current jobs to a position in one of the local branches of the companies we work for. For me, that might mean very little notice in when I would need to start. I'd rather have a place to stay, like a home we own. The idea of trying to move everything, transfer my position and coordinate that with a landlord or rental agency sounds really unappealing. We have a unique housing situation now, and don't pay for the home we live in beyond homeowners insurance, taxes and utilities.

I do see the point being made, and it does give us some more to think about.

Violent crime is very low in the Seattle area. Burglaries and car thefts are the most prevalent in "bad" areas, but those things also exist in some of the better areas within Seattle. So it makes sense to use common sense. Don't leave valuables in your car. Lock your doors and don't leave valuable things within plain sight from the windows.Don't have big bushes and trees that would prevent neighbors from seeing burglars in your yard. Meet your neighbors. Join a block watch.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 AM

Ideally this Sept we will have 3 or 4 neighborhoods in mind that we can go to, talk to people who live in the area , check with the police station, look at nearby parks libraries and the like, as well as walk around.

I appreciate everyone's insight and opinion, but I'll also plan on checking this out for myself. City data is a great start, though.

Once we decide on an area, I'll probably take 6-12 months off work to decide on a home, ect.
However I'm seriously considering the merits of renting , as much as I'd hate to.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 AM

Our old apartment was in the "rougher" end of a transitional area. Had I gone only by crime ratings and online stats I'd never wanted to live there ... It ended up being my favorite of any place I've lived. The only issue we ever had was drunk college students taking photos in the park adjacent to our bedroom window early in the morning. It taught me perception and up opinionccan be a huge difference between the reality.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 PM

Just got home today from our trip to Seattle. We spent a day exploring some neighborhoods, though not as much time as I'd have liked.

I see where we'd really need to rent here before buying even if it's less than ideal.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 PM

White Center wasn't awful, but I don't think I'd really want to commit to the area. More likely I'll be looking more into Luna Park, Columbia City, Ballard and Lake City. They seem a little more affordable while still having qualities I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area