Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 PM

195 posts, read 335,730 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a move to the Seattle area by the end of the year (goal). We visited some friend last August, and fell in love. We have another trip scheduled for Sept, and are planning to look at houses during the visit, which is where I need help ...

I'm lost when it comes to navigating the various neighborhoods and suburbs. We are set on buying instead of renting, as it makes more sense for our family, and any advise on making such a large move is appreciated as well.

Ideally, I would like to find a home under 250k, in a fairly walkable area, with libraries, shops and/or restaurants near by. I've been scoping out the houses prices, and I understand the cost of living, especially housing costs are a great deal higher. Any suggestions on up and coming neighborhoods would help. We would prefer not to live within a suburb, and to stay in the city limits.

Thanks! - S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
If you were going to buy a house within the city of Seattle, 250,000 won't get you much. And what you will find will either be near the northern or southern edges of the city, or be in pretty rough shape. Every once in a while you might find something in as hip and cool an area as Columbia City, but it's mostly going to be in neighbborhoods like Lake City or South Park/Rainier Beach, which are not great for walkability. The neighborhoods that are perceived as not good are the ones that will be 250,000 or less. The reality is different than the perception. Renton and Burien are mostly pleasant cities with walkability, art, ethnic eateries, espresso, farmers markets, etc, but they are thought of as not so good, partly because the school districts are not so good, and both cities have some run down parts. But they're both a lot better than their reputations, especially the main drags of both cities, 3rd St in Renton and SW 152nd in Burien, and they both have houses within walking distance of these main drags.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM

I've seen a few pop up in Columbia city, which I've heard is desirable, but the majority of homes I find in our range are in Rainer Beach. It's good to have some insight. I've also found some gorgeous recent remodels ... With very low walk scores, so I can tell it's going to be a choice between location and a nice home. Renton And burien sound worth looking into, though !

Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
You could check into Delridge area (West Seattle), but it's not going to be as walkable (though it's close to walkable areas).

Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett_ptista View Post
I've seen a few pop up in Columbia city, which I've heard is desirable, but the majority of homes I find in our range are in Rainer Beach. It's good to have some insight. I've also found some gorgeous recent remodels ... With very low walk scores, so I can tell it's going to be a choice between location and a nice home. Renton And burien sound worth looking into, though !
Rainier Beach is a mixed bag, but mostly undesirable. It's nicer, but less walkable a little further south and up the hill from the water.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 PM

I think once we start aggressively looking it will likely come down to nice location but needs updating vs a recent remodel w/less walk ability. Unless we get lucky

While we were out there last time we found out several FL friends had relocated to the Seattle area. From what I've read, there's not a huge group of people born and raised out there?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:02 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett_ptista View Post
I think once we start aggressively looking it will likely come down to nice location but needs updating vs a recent remodel w/less walk ability. Unless we get lucky

While we were out there last time we found out several FL friends had relocated to the Seattle area. From what I've read, there's not a huge group of people born and raised out there?
There are plenty of us natives here. It's just that there are many more people living here now than decades ago. A big net gain in population, not a switcharoo.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 AM

What's Bellevue like?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Bellevue is pretty pricey in all but the far east/SE areas where it's kind of run down.

FYI - you can still occasionally find sub-$250K homes in 98117 just north of Ballard in the Greenwood/Crown Hill neighborhoods. They're smaller houses, and they're all fixers - but they do exist.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Thanks, mkarch ...
I have been checking the mls listings for the Seattle city limits religiously for about 6 months. While I've noticed that anything more walkable, or close to a hipper neighborhood would most likely be a fixer (within our price range), theydo exist. Additionally I've seen quite a few recent remodels, very nice, in more secluded areas for 200-275k. I don't doubt we'd likely have to choose between location and or a fixer, but they do seem to exist, even if our budget narrows the options.

I'm not at all saying I have more insight on the market than anyone on this thread. I've got no idea what the neighborhoods are like beyond walk scores and crime maps.

Is lake washington a nice area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area