Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,963,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
The average Bellinghamster I talk to would claim spirituality is bad and that all religion and spiritually is man-made. It appeared that Bellingham people enjoyed loud music, being heavily intoxicated and stoned and not engaging in any type of cultural activities revolving around the spiritual realm. Hippy culture embraces spirituality, which is the anti-thesis of a Bellingham person.

IF you go hear some of the local live bands play, their themes are all about having dirty sex with women, getting high and making fun of Jesus. That seems to be the new cool thing for people to do.
A "Bellingham person"...

Where do you get this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 11:47 AM

8,154 posts, read 8,199,744 times
VASHON ISLAND, I lived there for three years, it is a real throwback, had friends who lived in teepees, treehouses, way off the grid. Loads of extremely talented, musicians, artists live there, also a model for organic farming with probably 15 functioning CSAs on island.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:34 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,791,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
A "Bellingham person"...

Where do you get this stuff?
I got it from living there.. Actually, the proper term for a Bellingham person is a "Bellinghamster".

Old 07-05-2013, 03:47 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,752,663 times
I'd look into California. The places listed here have way more yuppies or other types than hippies.

Olympia is a poor suggestion. It is a way bigger military town with Joint Base Lewis-McChord than a hippy town. Other than The Evergreen State College NW of town in the outskirts (surrounded by the area's wealthiest, most yuppified real estate & Country Club), Olympia isn't that hippy. Within the city limits, there are only two "hippy" areas, and they are being priced out by the nearby state worker yuppies with water views.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,791,632 times
I agree with you Andy, but by WA standards, Oly is about as hippy as you get.. There isn't much else in this state.. Humboldt County I think will preserve its hippy identity than most other places in the country, as it is not the most desired destination for transplants, yuppies and retirees, as of yet. Although, this is changing, of course.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,752,663 times
Quote:
I agree with you Andy, but by WA standards, Oly is about as hippy as you get..
Which means there ain't much for hippies other than Arcata and Eugene up here in logging country.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM

8,154 posts, read 8,199,744 times
Go to Vashon. There is a weekender fascade and then a very very interesting, groovy, off the grid underbelly.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:38 PM

45 posts, read 46,377 times
Other than some small island communities @ Puget Sound, the only hippies in Seattle live in Tent Cities...

Seriously, hippiedom has receded and been replaced by the Boomer's lust for comfy living funded by real estate, slave labor and investments. Gov. handouts on top of all that listed above coupled with espoused hate for anything that doesn't bear the DNC imprimatur is about as hippie-chic as it gets and if entitlements are one's only means of support, those who receive it are poor self-made casualties, not hippies.

Portland is more hippie than Seattle, FWIW.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 PM

83 posts, read 246,911 times
Quote:

Don't get "liberal, progressive" mixed up with hippies. Actually, some hippies I knew back in Oregon were anything but liberal and progressive, despite the tied-dyed shirts and long hair. At least with Oregon hippies, there were a fair share of them who were gun-toting, racist redneckish with tied-dyed shirts and hemp necklaces. They were country people who grew up in a sub-culture, but still among the culture of the people where they lived. Of course, there was many of the flower children, rainbow children and other peace/loving types thrown into the mix.
Right, I think a definition of hippie would have helped guide this post somewhat. People could technically call "RedHeads" (redneck potheads) hippies. Or there was the traditional hippies, most of whom are now baby boomers and ended up becoming delighted consumers who voted for Reagan, contrasted with some of their children who eat vegan and don't even smoke weed because it causes violence due to black market economics. Neo-hippies are not the hippies of the Summer of Love.

That being said, my definition of hippie from the Upper Midwest is probably a larger blanket term, whereas someone from Berkelely or OR could spot the nuances which define a hippie in a more proper sense.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:05 AM

334 posts, read 416,151 times
Sounds like the self-proclaimed hippy is just as intolerant and judgmental as everyone else.

I'm glad that Bham doesn't have a lot of hippies. I am a strong proponent for regular bathing. Letting your kid grow terrible white person dreads is a form of cruelty or neglect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area