Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times

Advertisements

Where are the towns around Seattle with the crunchy, hippie vibe? With the vibrant downtown full of funky, friendly shops? For those familiar with NC, towns like Carrboro, Pittsboro, or Saxapahaw. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,994 times
Olympia is about the only real hippy town I can find in Washington.. More of the "real" hippy towns are in Oregon, where I grew up, along with Northern California. Washington is a much more reserved state and tends to be a bit more hipstery/grungy/blue-collar/redneck or just plain Scandanavian Liberalish. It doesn't have that free-spirited, open-minded, cross-cultural, free-your-soul, let your hair/dreadlocks down type of vibe that you would see in many Oregon towns.

I lived in a town called Eugene, Oregon that is probably, along with Eureka, California, the hippy capitol of the USA. It was one of the most common places for the Grateful Dead to do their tours and many Deadheads settled in that town. Sadly, I believe Oregon is changing a bit due to the influx of people from the East Coast and around the country who are trying to transform Portland and other Oregon towns into places like where they came from.

I was just in Portland last week and was amazed though at how much more laid-back and hippyish the vibe is compared to Seattle, which is more mainstream and much more formal and less funky (if we can use that term). Even being away from Oregon for 2 years, has made me forget the differences from where I am now. Actually, Seattle is one of the least hip and least culturally diverse/enlightened/funky places I have been. People seem very serious, professional and mainstream and tend to fear or, at least, lack understanding of people who are a bit exotic and outside the cultural norms of the city and behavior of people in the state of Washington.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
The Fremont area of Seattle used to be that way, not sure if it still is. Olympia, and parts of Bellingham? Otherwise, you have to look in Oregon, California and northern New Mexico for hippie towns. Asheville, NC, too.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,994 times
Don't forget Missoula, MT and Burlington, VT.. Missoula is indeed a refuge for hippies in a state that is otherwise, very non-hippyish. Bellingham is surprisingly not very hippyish. It is like a mini-Seattle, although a bit rougher in mindset. It is indeed a real backwater town. The people there are just too reserved, grungy, non-free spirited to be considered hippies. I would say Bellingham is more of a grungy and hipstery town. Walking around with dreads, hemp necklaces and a tied-dye shirt in Bellingham will get you many strange stares. I dressed up in my turban and robes in Bellingham and it caused a massive shock to people in the town, whereas in a town like Ashland, Eugene or even Portland, nobody would look twice. There is also somewhat of a punk element to it. It just doesn't have the cool, hip, free-minded culture you would see in an Oregon or Northern Cali hippy town.

Ashland, Oregon use to be quite a nice communal hippy like town, but now it is infested with retirees and California yuppie types who have pushed out the original types of people who lived there and transformed the town.

I've yet to see any real hippy types in Fremont. At night, Fremont seems to just be infested with snotty, club people and aggressive drunks. During the day it is very metro and mainstream like many other areas of Seattle. I shop and hang out in Fremont and there is absolutely nothing hippy about it. The Hawthorne district of Portland use to be quite hippy as well, but is also somewhat transforming into what the Fremont has become today, although still has some remnants of the original inhabitants.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 07-02-2013 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,742 times
Fremont is the most like Carrboro in Seattle itself: bars, shops, grad students, etc. The Winslow area of Bainbridge Island has cute local shops and hipster restaurants.

It's a tough comparison, the other towns you mentioned are extremely rural compared with the Seattle area. I don't remember Pittsboro having much besides the General Store cafe and a bunch of tiny vintage shops. Not exactly "vibrant" or "hippie" at all.

So if you're actually looking for very small towns with 10 vintage clothing stores, a food co-op and a local brewery... maybe Mt. Vernon? Downtown Snoqualmie?

Last edited by seattlenextyear; 07-02-2013 at 10:03 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
Please tell me so I can avoid those areas. Can't stand hippies

Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Vashon Island.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Vashon Island.
Yes! That's the closest so far!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:16 PM

309 posts, read 759,565 times
Vashon Island for sure.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
The folks of Whidbey Island are hippies, but they're the delicious organic good-for-you sorta hippie and not the militant, leftist, in-your-face, ban the bags! sorta hippie. Great coffee roasters out there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area