U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 28,971 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I was wondering if there are any members here that have moved to Seattle from the Southeast - Florida/Georgia. My dog and I will be relocating to the Lynnwood area the first week in December. We have a long haul ahead of us - 3,000+ miles! I have been on long road trips before, but nothing like this. Anyway, does anyone that has driven cross country have any advice or tips for me? Such as a different route to take other than what's on mapquest? I'm not really looking for short cuts or anything like that - more like cool views and scenery. Any interesting stops along the way to make sure I stop at (or stay away from)? I don't want to drive 700 miles out of my way, but I do want to take advantage of seeing a part of our great country I've never seen before. Thank you so much for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 02:05 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,221,663 times
My husband and I (and our dog) moved to the Seattle area from Orlando this past July. The shortest route would have been diagonally across the country (Mapquest estimated 3100 miles), but we took the southern route so we could visit family in AZ along the way which added about 800 miles. Our total mileage was about 3900.

We left Orlando on a Tuesday and arrived in Poulsbo the following Tuesday. We averaged 500-600 miles per day, and took one day off traveling while visiting in AZ. It was a very long trip. We stayed at dog-friendly hotels and they all included breakfast too, which was helpful. The only meal that was a bit tricky was lunch. Because we had our dog with us, and it was too hot to leave her in the car, we had to either do fast food and eat in the car or outdoor patio, or buy lunch and stop at a rest stop. Dinner was easy. After checking in, we'd find a place that would deliver to the room, or one of us would go "hunting" and bring takeout back to the room. The most pet-friendly hotels we found were La Quinta Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Best Western--Motel 6 is also supposed to be pet-friendly. La Quinta doesn't charge a pet fee or have size restrictions. Some of the other hotels do, so be sure and ask what the pet policy is. We brought dog food with us, a collapsible cloth drinking bowl (which our dog seemed happy to drink from inside the car), and we carried lots of bottled water. Bringing our dog did make the trip a bit more complicated, but we weren't going to ship her. She was sure glad to get to her new home in the Pacific Northwest. She loves it here!

Good luck with your trip--let me know if you have further questions.

Lynn

Old 11-08-2007, 12:50 PM

3,612 posts, read 6,990,086 times
If you're driving a large moving van, use truck stops to buy your fuel. There's a lot more room to maneuver.

If you aren't, drive in to town a little ways instead of buying gas at the stations just off the freeway. I've found that they are consistently cheaper.

Keep an eye on the weather. It helps to watch the national weather on the Weather Channel at night to see where the big storm systems are. There will be some snow in early December, so just be ready for that.

As far as interesting stops: if it looks interesting, stop. I love the history of our westward expansion, so for me following the old wagon routes like the Oregon Trail or the Santa Fe Trail were exciting and interesting, particularly when wagon ruts were visible next to the highway. I also like small towns, so I'd usually eat in local restaurants and cafes instead of the chains - unless I was eating while driving. McDonald's burgers are perfect for that.

A lot of states have tourist centers just inside their borders along the interstates. They can make for a good bathroom stop and they give you a chance to learn about attractions or museums along the way.

The heartland of this country has a quiet, dignified beauty to it, and it's filled with warm, kind people. Enjoy your trip, don't be afraid to talk to the locals, and seek out the local restaurants and activities on your way.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 28,971 times
Thank you both! My dog is still a puppy so I already knew that traveling such a long distance would be a little tricky. I am sending my belongings to Seattle ahead of time. I have a mid-size sedan that has never before seen snow . I've already put brand new tires on her and had a full tune up. Because I am making a pit stop in Indiana for a week to visit family, my route will be different than if I was driving straight from FL. I will be traveling thru all of the states along the Canadian border. I will be sure to keep the hotels mentioned in mind when I book my reservations this weekend.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:19 AM

9 posts, read 30,788 times
My husband has already moved to Lynnwood for work and I am left in Florida with our 2 dogs to try to assist in the house selling and then I will either drive (my preference because of the dogs) or fly out to Seattle around the same time as you. Flying would seem a whole lot easier and faster too, but have heard so many horror stories about the dogs experience that I can't seem to bring myself to book the flight and order the car to be picked up for transport. Glad to hear I am not the only one that thinks this drive is duable. Good luck in your travels.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:57 AM

700 posts, read 1,716,556 times
I did that drive...(years ago)
I would say take I-10 to California, hang a right and go North. Play it safe during the winter months. If it was summer, I would say DONT take I-10. Know what I mean?

Texas is brutal as far as scenery...there is none after San Antonio.
The SE is cool, I liked driving through Mississippi and Louisiana.
AZ beautiful in a desert kinda way... Once you get to Mt. Shasta, It just stunning...all the way up.

The reason I say I-10, is that the midwest, rockies and even the eastern side of the PNW can be very tempermental with snow..and worse..Ice! Those are serious mountains you would be going over!.. Why not play it safe, get there safe, then explore around the area in the summer with the puppy!!

Just 20 yen...

Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 27,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaJax View Post
Hi everyone. I was wondering if there are any members here that have moved to Seattle from the Southeast - Florida/Georgia. My dog and I will be relocating to the Lynnwood area the first week in December. We have a long haul ahead of us - 3,000+ miles! I have been on long road trips before, but nothing like this. Anyway, does anyone that has driven cross country have any advice or tips for me? Such as a different route to take other than what's on mapquest? I'm not really looking for short cuts or anything like that - more like cool views and scenery. Any interesting stops along the way to make sure I stop at (or stay away from)? I don't want to drive 700 miles out of my way, but I do want to take advantage of seeing a part of our great country I've never seen before. Thank you so much for any info

I actually made the trip about 8 months ago from panama city beach florida to seattle washington. I traveled with a cat and the trip was great, lots to see. It took me a little over 2 days to get here. Mapquest is what i used as well it did the job. I actually live 4 miles from everett myself. Just be sure to stay energized and and never test yourself when competing with sleep. Have a great trip.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 27,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
I did that drive...(years ago)
I would say take I-10 to California, hang a right and go North. Play it safe during the winter months. If it was summer, I would say DONT take I-10. Know what I mean?

Texas is brutal as far as scenery...there is none after San Antonio.
The SE is cool, I liked driving through Mississippi and Louisiana.
AZ beautiful in a desert kinda way... Once you get to Mt. Shasta, It just stunning...all the way up.

The reason I say I-10, is that the midwest, rockies and even the eastern side of the PNW can be very tempermental with snow..and worse..Ice! Those are serious mountains you would be going over!.. Why not play it safe, get there safe, then explore around the area in the summer with the puppy!!

Just 20 yen...

Taking I-10 would kill anybody time wise, my father was a long haul driver for years and went with him many times, but i agree winter is not a good time for Northwest I-90 driving. Play it safe.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,739 times
Im about to drive with my 2 kids and 2 dogs from Miami To Marrysville washington. I will be driving me truck pulling a uhaul trailer (not a huge one) but a trailer none the less. I wanna get to washington as fast as I can but being safe while I do it. I did map qwest and it has me going through the upper portions of the US....Im not against doing that Im just affraid of driving in the first week of NOV....due t snow and wintery conditions...can any one tell me their thoughts as far as if it seems safe enough because its still early or if I should take the longer route and go through the southern states??? Any info would help

Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM

8,327 posts, read 14,840,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windy 72395 View Post
Im about to drive with my 2 kids and 2 dogs from Miami To Marrysville washington. I will be driving me truck pulling a uhaul trailer (not a huge one) but a trailer none the less. I wanna get to washington as fast as I can but being safe while I do it. I did map qwest and it has me going through the upper portions of the US....Im not against doing that Im just affraid of driving in the first week of NOV....due t snow and wintery conditions...can any one tell me their thoughts as far as if it seems safe enough because its still early or if I should take the longer route and go through the southern states??? Any info would help
Its probably early enough that you'll make it across the country going across the upper portions of the US in one piece, but I'd recommend using I-90 instead of I-70.
My wife and I drove across on I-70 three years ago in early November, and that stretch of steepness near the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado is pretty trecherous...It was Nov 8th or so and there was ice on the interstate and it was snowing lightly.
I think there's a smaller chance of that happening on I-90, even though it's further north than I-70.
Southern route? You're still going to hit mountainous and possibly snowy passes on I-5, going north from California,and going the southernmost route is going to add a lot of unnecessary miles, though it might be the best way to go if it were later in the winter. So it's a matter of which is the least painful choice. I-90 should be the fastest. And weatherwise shouldn't be horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area