Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

West Seattle is big and is made up of neighborhoods that are all different from each other. Much of West Seattle is great. Pretty. Walkable, Cool. Delridge is a bit more run down. But the Alaska Junction in West Seattle is pretty happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. Funny thing is, I actually am an incoming college student at Seattle U, but I prefer not to think of myself as a generic college kid. I am guilty for choosing the school for hedonistic reasons, given the fact that I love seattle, but I also intend to utilize the city to get my journalism career rolling and hopefully land a job within the first couple years after graduating.

Regarding the U District, I personally did not prefer the ambience not just because of the fraternity, husky presence (don't shoot me, I'm not a football fan), but rather because the section of retail and restaurants that I saw looked more weathered and less inviting than say, Ballard. I also thought that it lacked the quaint feeling of other areas such as Wallingford or eastlake. I have only looked into Beacon Hill briefly but I don't know if its at the top of my priority list. I didn't enjoy the aesthetic of the intl district/little Saigon and that area kind of spills in to it. I will look into further but as I said other oats need to be sewn first.

I think I will start off exploring the Columbia/Georgetown area and the Greenwood/Roosevelt area. I assume I don't have any business going to the Aurora/Northgate are as well as the South Park/White Center area as nobody has mentioned them yet. Anything to see around west seattle/delridge? I've heard west seattle is a bit of a commercialized, so cal knockoff, but once again I am ignorant and don't have much evidence to base this opinion off of.

Thanks again for your input everyone; I am relieved to recieve some food for thought. You all should be thankful to live in such a vibrant, creative city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
West Seattle is big and is made up of neighborhoods that are all different from each other. Much of West Seattle is great. Pretty. Walkable, Cool. Delridge is a bit more run down. But the Alaska Junction in West Seattle is pretty happening.
I will have to add the alaska junction area of west seattle to my pursuits.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. Funny thing is, I actually am an incoming college student at Seattle U, but I prefer not to think of myself as a generic college kid. I am guilty for choosing the school for hedonistic reasons, given the fact that I love seattle, but I also intend to utilize the city to get my journalism career rolling and hopefully land a job within the first couple years after graduating.

Regarding the U District, I personally did not prefer the ambience not just because of the fraternity, husky presence (don't shoot me, I'm not a football fan), but rather because the section of retail and restaurants that I saw looked more weathered and less inviting than say, Ballard. I also thought that it lacked the quaint feeling of other areas such as Wallingford or eastlake. I have only looked into Beacon Hill briefly but I don't know if its at the top of my priority list. I didn't enjoy the aesthetic of the intl district/little Saigon and that area kind of spills in to it. I will look into further but as I said other oats need to be sewn first.

I think I will start off exploring the Columbia/Georgetown area and the Greenwood/Roosevelt area. I assume I don't have any business going to the Aurora/Northgate are as well as the South Park/White Center area as nobody has mentioned them yet. Anything to see around west seattle/delridge? I've heard west seattle is a bit of a commercialized, so cal knockoff, but once again I am ignorant and don't have much evidence to base this opinion off of.

Thanks again for your input everyone; I am relieved to recieve some food for thought. You all should be thankful to live in such a vibrant, creative city.
Sounds good! It's great that you're taking such a thorough approach. Just to clarify - Phinney/Greenwood and Roosevelt are two completely different neighborhoods, separated by a few miles. Greenlake (also a nice neighborhood and park, although probably not what you are looking for) is between them, as is I-5 and Aurora. To explore Phinney/Greenwood, I'd recommend starting at 87th and Greenwood and walking or biking all the way down to 62nd and Greenwood. There are nice hubs near 85th, by 73rd, and south of 65th (with a bit of a relative dead zone between 82nd and 75th) . The neighborhood gets nicer generally the further South you go. I used to live on 75th and Greenwood and really enjoyed it. Ken's Market is awesome.

Also, Columbia City and Georgetown are two very different neighborhoods as well - they are relatively close to each other but have pretty different feels.

Have you looked into Queen Anne yet? Lower Queen Anne, while not the hippest neighborhood in Seattle these days, is urban and vibrant, and close to downtown. Upper Queen Anne is more of a quaint, upscale strip but is very walkable and has a great neighborhood feel. You probably wouldn't want to live there, but I'd also recommend checking out Madison Park and Madison Valley.

Finally, West Seattle has several distinct sections. Alki Beach sort of has that SoCal vibe, but the Alaska Junction and Admiral District are just laid-back walkable neighborhoods with a a good amount of commercial activity (especially the junction). The only issue with anywhere in West Seattle is it feels a bit more isolated since the easiest way to get there is across a big bridge, and there aren't as many taxis around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area