Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 PM

50 posts, read 119,327 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Oxford, England and Tacoma..Both have very similar climates and summers
are mild but on occasion when a heat wave hits it can be down right uncomfortable because
there is humidity involved..Not humid like the south but still noticeable..

I now live in Denver which I see is ranked 4th in coolest summer cities..I would have to agree..

Denver's summers are kinda strange..It can be 85 degrees but because of the low humidity and thinner air it does not feel hot and at night it is very comfortable.

Last edited by Shikadance; 07-20-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 04:39 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
The fact that Denver & SLC are in the top 10 for "Cool summer weather" completely invalidates this list. Not to say Seattle shouldn't be #1.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:53 PM

50 posts, read 119,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The fact that Denver & SLC are in the top 10 for "Cool summer weather" completely invalidates this list. Not to say Seattle shouldn't be #1.

Because it is all about comfort level and Denver does have one of the more comfortable summer
climates out of the 50 largest metro areas...

When you factor in the daily average temperatures, low humidity, thinner air and low temps in the 50's and 60's it is deserving of its ranking.

Keep in mind we are talking about top 50 metro areas which means the majority of the cities will be back east, the south and midwest which means high humidity combined with temps in the high 80's and 90's which equates to a very high heat index on the human body.

Denver's heat index is erased because of its low humidity.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
no, why? I'm told it's been nice and cool.
Right near the Bay in most areas, most of the time. There have been heat waves though. One lasted a week which, as you know, is long for the Bay Area.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Seattle has an avg high of 76 degrees for both July and Aug and avg low of 56 and 57, respectively.

Average Weather for Seattle, WA - Temperature and Precipitation

San Francisco has an avg high of 67 and 68 and an avg low of 54 and 55 for July and August.

Average Weather for San Francisco, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Seattle is still a beautiful emerald green too in July and August which adds to it's loveliness in the summer. The SF area is pretty darn brown and crispy come late July and August. We used to love visiting my in-laws there in the summer when we were coming from Austin TX. But once we moved here we made them visit us in the summer months!

I was out on Lake WA today and on the Sound last weekend and I have to tell you...there is no place I'd rather live in the summer...as much as I love cities like SF, Denver, etc. This is one beautiful place to spend the summer months!!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 PM

687 posts, read 1,493,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
of course it has. I'm about to move there and the freaking heat follows me even when I go on vacation. Be prepared for the summers never to be as cool again due to my stupid luck.
My family just moved up this spring from Palm Springs. We're about 45 NE of Seattle, but from what I've seen the temps aren't too different. We've had ONE day that reached 91, and that got a little uncomfortable since there's no AC here. Shade counts here, though, and a good tree can get you through.
Several days have reached mid-80s, but that was still comfortable. Looks like most of next week will be 70s, with 2 days of low 80s. Weather definitions are different up here. The other day on the radio they were reporting "severe drought conditions" when there had been quite a bit (by my book) of rain just 2 weeks prior.
We LOVE the summer weather here (this is where a local will feel obliged to comment that we will probably HATE the winter and need to move to sunshine).

Old 07-20-2013, 10:54 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
LOL MamaRed... You have to realize here, they're weird about "drought" conditions. I can still remember my dad remarked how odd that we can still have moss thriving without issue during "severe drought conditions". He suspects it's to "discourage" people from using so much water.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I love the summers in Seattle and Portland and wouldn't mind it a bit warmer actually. Yeah, if you don't have an ac it's a bit warm for about a month. San Fran also pleasant but as Mark Twain famously said..."the coldest winter I've ever experienced was summer in San Francisco." It's refreshing but I like to have a bit of heat mixed in say like San Jose...swimming weather.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I'd say this summer is actually more typical. The last 3 years have been particularly bad summers. 2009 was hotter than this year (it reached 103) and most previous years that I lived here were closer to this than the last couple of years.
I was there in '09, I remember how hot it was.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When I lived in Seattle, I timed my vacations precisely for that July/Aug. heat wave, and spend a month in the Bay. It was always 10-15 degrees cooler in Berkeley. It hasn't changed much.
Berkeley is certainly cooler than Seattle, within the east bay, only Richmond is cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: