Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM

8 posts, read 9,160 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am a 22 yo single female graduating from college here in SA in a couple months. I have lived here my entire life, and I am ready for a change after graduation. I am looking to move somewhere that is drastically different... cooler weather, outdoorsy culture, bike friendly, creative job opportunities, artsy (as I am an art student/photographer myself)...Overall, somewhere beautiful. Though I have unfortunately never been, I am drawn the beauty and outdoorsy culture of Seattle.

I am looking for a predominately young, urban neighborhood, and have been told of Queen Anne, U District, Capitol Hill, Eastlake. I know I'll be living in a shoebox studio apartment compared to what we have here, which doesn't bother me in the least, as whatever doesn't fit in my Subaru, doesn't get moved. I do have a sweet dog, (shes almost 5 months, 20 lbs, she's a rescue and mix so I don't know how big she'll be.), will I easily be able to find a place that will allow her? I have looked into apartments and it seems to be either small dogs, or not listed. Price will be a factor, as ill be looking to spend less than $850/mo in rent. Factoring about $100-$150 for bills, (gas, electric, water, sewage, internet.. No cable). Does this seem reasonable?

I have heard of the 'Seattle Freeze', which does concern me some, as I do not know anyone living in the area. I am into nearly every outdoor activity: Mtn biking, rock climbing, hiking, camping, fishing so I am hoping this will help me find a great group of friends. Is Seattle a place that is somewhat difficult to make friends? I've read many conflicting opinions here.

I don't think the weather will bother me, as I hear the summers MORE than make up for the dreary months.

I am not really into nightlife, and prefer a tasty beer or glass of wine with a couple friends over dancing or nightclubs.

The only kicker, I am somewhat conservative politically.. though used to be surrounded by liberals, and I try to keep my opinions to myself. To each his own.

My main question, does Seattle seem like a pretty good fit? I will be visiting in the next month or so, but open to any opinions or suggestions before visiting.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 05:03 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Seattle sounds like it would be a good fit if you like the outdoors.. biking.. art... dogs... However your political orientation seems a little "off" considering some of your other cultural identity markers, but more importantly, it will be a contradicting element for at least a few of those listed neighborhoods (i.e. Capital Hill). It would be interesting to see how/who you are after living here for 5 years though, especially given your young age. It will also depend on what type of opportunities you can get here. If I had to guess, that's going to be your biggest issue... most of the excellent jobs are in high tech. On the other hand, sounds like you are more than prepared to live in an egg, so take a shot at it. You are at a great age to try something different. I know there are some people who end up hating the city, but it sounds like you might just be cut out for it. Make sure you are bringing a couple months worth of living expenses with you.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the reply... I realized after I posted that that I should have been a little more specific about my political orientations... When I say conservative, I mean fiscally. In terms of social, I am pretty liberal.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:13 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay0507 View Post
I am looking for a predominately young, urban neighborhood, and have been told of Queen Anne, U District, Capitol Hill, Eastlake. I know I'll be living in a shoebox studio apartment compared to what we have here, which doesn't bother me in the least, as whatever doesn't fit in my Subaru, doesn't get moved. I do have a sweet dog, (shes almost 5 months, 20 lbs, she's a rescue and mix so I don't know how big she'll be.), will I easily be able to find a place that will allow her? I have looked into apartments and it seems to be either small dogs, or not listed. Price will be a factor, as ill be looking to spend less than $850/mo in rent. Factoring about $100-$150 for bills, (gas, electric, water, sewage, internet.. No cable). Does this seem reasonable?
Honestly? No, it does not seem unreasonable. Especially considering you have a dog and the odds are if you even do find a place that accept dogs, you might have to pay pet rent. Better to open up your areas to increase your odds of finding a place.

I also hope you realize Seattle has a high rate of car burglary-- so it's not that wise to keep valuables in the car. Especially if you're in DT or other trendy Seattle neighborhoods.

Quote:
I don't think the weather will bother me, as I hear the summers MORE than make up for the dreary months.
True for some, not so much for others. Better not to be so mindful like that, just appreciate each day for what it is.

Quote:
I am not really into nightlife, and prefer a tasty beer or glass of wine with a couple friends over dancing or nightclubs.

The only kicker, I am somewhat conservative politically.. though used to be surrounded by liberals, and I try to keep my opinions to myself. To each his own.

My main question, does Seattle seem like a pretty good fit? I will be visiting in the next month or so, but open to any opinions or suggestions before visiting.
Could be a good fit. Seattle has such a beauty that everyone wants to move here. If you're not sure, why not do multiple visits in different season?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:13 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply... I realized after I posted that that I should have been a little more specific about my political orientations... When I say conservative, I mean fiscally. In terms of social, I am pretty liberal.
LOL That makes ALL the difference! In that case you'll be in good company.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:44 PM

265 posts, read 722,436 times
I am both financially and socially conservative but work in an industry that is completely the other direction. I just do my job and keep quiet. Wonderful thing about the USA is everyone is allowed to have their own opinion though I find as the liberal opinion gets more popular it is not really possible to have one opposite it without scorn. I am tough skinned though, and easy to get along with so I tend to laugh off a lot of what is said and get on with life. There are subjects I tell people I will not discuss because we will never agree and usually they are respectful of that. I also had friends who were VERY VERY liberal and we used to rib each other a lot good naturedly. I think a lot will go by how you handle the situation and what you expectations are.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:44 PM

Lol I figured! Now, like you said, the search for a job is on! :/

Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
I am both financially and socially conservative but work in an industry that is completely the other direction. I just do my job and keep quiet. Wonderful thing about the USA is everyone is allowed to have their own opinion though I find as the liberal opinion gets more popular it is not really possible to have one opposite it without scorn. I am tough skinned though, and easy to get along with so I tend to laugh off a lot of what is said and get on with life. There are subjects I tell people I will not discuss because we will never agree and usually they are respectful of that. I also had friends who were VERY VERY liberal and we used to rib each other a lot good naturedly. I think a lot will go by how you handle the situation and what you expectations are.
Yes, I understand and agree completely! I go to art school, so I'm familiar with keeping my mouth shut and just not letting people know my opinions!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Honestly? No, it does not seem unreasonable. Especially considering you have a dog and the odds are if you even do find a place that accept dogs, you might have to pay pet rent. Better to open up your areas to increase your odds of finding a place.

I also hope you realize Seattle has a high rate of car burglary-- so it's not that wise to keep valuables in the car. Especially if you're in DT or other trendy Seattle neighborhoods.

True for some, not so much for others. Better not to be so mindful like that, just appreciate each day for what it is.

Could be a good fit. Seattle has such a beauty that everyone wants to move here. If you're not sure, why not do multiple visits in different season?

I'm assuming you mean 'no that does not seem reasonable'? Are you referring to rent or bills.. I have found places in that rent price range, but if I need and can expand the price and location, I will.
I'm wondering more about bills, and yes I do assume I'll have to pay pet rent. By bills I mean electricity, sewage, gas, water. It is different than in San Antonio, as we pay a ton for electricity because of a/c and almost nothing in gas. Just trying to gauge those bills in a 400ish sqft place.
As for weather, I'm just looking forward to it not being 100+ with 75% humidity.. I'll take rain! I'll make as many trips as I can before moving, but I'm really hoping to find a job when I graduate in 5 months, so don't know how many trips I'll be able to make!! Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,049 times
Hi Lindsay. I'm hoping you won't run into any problems with your dog but I'm thinking that you may find it difficult to line up a studio apartment in the areas you mention in that price range that will allow large dogs. Some places that small will allow cats and/or small lap dogs but if your dog grows much more than its current 20 lbs., I'm wondering if that may narrow your choices a bit.

And as you've probably heard before, some think they'll be okay with rain especially coming from warmer climates but you have to remember that western Washington has a "cold" rain that makes it uncomfortable for some to tolerate. Sure, the summers are great but "real" summer only lasts a short time. So just as San Antonio having long summers with 90º+ with 75% humidity, Seattle has long winters with drizzly overcast and 35-45º. Both have the tendency to get old after awhile. I spent over 50 winters in Seattle and am glad now to spend the winters in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada and come back up to Washington for the short summer.

But, I'm not trying to discourage you at all from moving to Seattle. It does sound like you'd fit in perfectly. Best of luck with your plans to move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: