Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:26 PM

299 posts, read 666,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
seattlecoming - I agree completely with you about Seattle and the alleged suicide/depression link. It's all in the heads of the usual suspects. Now, understand, I was born in Seattle and raised in Edmonds and am a resident of Moses Lake, WA, now. But I am part of and raised in this watery, liquid kind of western Washington kind of thing. I am used to living liquid, living large in watery liquid with cloudy skies. I have web feet and that is all there is to it. I can tell you that the watery vapor of western Washington is what I am a part of and what is me, depression doesn't even enter into this in any way, whatsoever.

All praise goes to you Jehovah God the Creator of the universe!
LOL, good post. I moved here in 2011 and also consider myself to be a duck with webbed feet- I have grown accustomed to the weather and it doesn't bother me at all. I look at it this way - we don't get snowed in like they do in many parts of the nation, especially Boston. We don't have tornadoes like they do in the fly-over region of the central plains. We don't have searing heat and drought like they do in the desert south-worst. Our climate is pretty mild in comparison. Many cities have much worse weather than Seattle does. If SAD really does exist, it hasn't affected me at all here. For the most part I am very happy to be a Seattle resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
I agree completely, seattlecoming! Water is Seattle and Seattle is water. If it ain't you, hit the road Jackson. Get out! Not being rude just being real! More power to drizzly water and water it is and that it most certainly will be forever.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 PM

731 posts, read 935,576 times
I wish you guys would be more considerate about people's feelings about the weather here, rather than just attacking and defending (the rain). I understand that SO many people on city data Seattle feel like the weather here is spectacular, but for those who are affected by SADS, it can be a nightmare. The bummer is that most people don't know it will affect them until they get here and experience it. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

On top of it, the poor OP is desperate to leave and feeling horribly trapped, which I'm sure is making him feel worse. The true message here is that some people love it and some hate it. Some thrive in our weather and some fall apart. So if you're thinking of moving, make sure you have an exit plan just in case and don't buy a super expensive house until you know it rocks your world here.

And to those who love the weather... Really!!?? You really, really want to encourage everyone to move here?? Those parking spots you were looking for just became even slimmer pickings. Oh wait, I just found hundreds more - it's called I-5

Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
He was miserable and stoned-out, and his music was just as miserable. Good riddance to grunge- I don't miss it at all.
I am see you have poor taste in music and manners.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
I wish you guys would be more considerate about people's feelings about the weather here, rather than just attacking and defending (the rain). I understand that SO many people on city data Seattle feel like the weather here is spectacular, but for those who are affected by SADS, it can be a nightmare. The bummer is that most people don't know it will affect them until they get here and experience it. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.
I didn't see any inconsiderate comments directed toward the OP or about SAD. You're right that what works for 1 person might not work for another. Where I used to live didn't work for me, and you could say I experienced something like SAD so I did something about it and sought a better location- for me the better location is the Seattle area. The folks who are affected that much by the weather, seasonal disorder, depression, suicidal thoughts, et al should try to do something about improving their lives. If that means moving out of state, what has to be has to be.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am see you have poor taste in music and manners.
I am see you have poor taste in music and grammar.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Some people absolutely LOVE the weather in Seattle..............other people just cannot take it.

Summers in Seattle are probably some of the nicest I have experienced...but they are kinda short.

I grew up in Seattle, lived there for over 30 years.......the long periods of grey/gloomy/drizzly really did not agree with me.

I now live in Spokane, much more sun. We just went through period of weather that gave me flashbacks of Seattle..............yikes, I was starting to feel gloooooooomy!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 8,096 times
Hahahahahahaha!! Man, I grew up in the Midwest and Northeastern part (East Coast) of the country. You haven't seen a bad winter until you lived someplace where the temperature is negative 20 degrees (that's almost as cold as Mars), the wind hurts your face for 6 mos straight and the snow and ice is so bad that your pipes burst in your house, your car doors freeze shut and your legs are soak and wet from climbing through 3 feet of snow to get to work. You Cali people warning people about the terrible Seattle weather are so cute. I can't wait to move to Seattle because it'll be like heaven compared to all this awful snow and freezing weather on the East Coast. And on top of freezing weather and snow we have short days where its dark until 6:00am and gets dark again at 4:00pm and most of the winter is grey, dark and gloomy. Its not for 9 months but its definitely for about 5-6 mos straight which is too long if you ask me!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:28 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
What August86 sez! Seattle has mild weather, get to it and get used to it.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:36 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
I'd sooner take a guided tour of Dante's Ninth Circle of Hell than spend any winter in Boston. Probably both are same temperature. Just getting worse, as of today at-least (per forecast). Boston, not Hell.

Seattle has been exceptionally mild this past winter. Rode the motorcycle to work yet again, which was brisk at 39 degrees but not awful. Dry and fifteen miles, about twenty minutes. Really enjoyable, actually.

So, to OP's problem: I've lived in sunny places (NorCal), sunni-er places (SoCal, briefly), stormy and wacky places (Detroit), hot and dry to 21" of snow semi-arid (northern NV), and this place: Seattle. Can't please all of the people all of the time. If depressed due to weather, then yes I'd seek mitigation (help of some kind), then flee for greener (rather, sunnier) pastures. San Diego really impressed me, the one time I've been there as an adult. What else can you do? Wouldn't minimize the guy's problems. I mostly like it in Seattle, but wouldn't mind more sun. If it bothers me enough, I'll flee post-retirement. Life is a series of trade-offs, must-dos, and can't-change so must-deal-with's. The economic climate here is phenomenal for those with certain skills, which overrides all-else in my world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area