Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 PM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times

Advertisements

I am moving to seattle in a couple months and am curious about the logistics behind the Washington state law that essentially made marijuana legal. I know there are medical dispensaries in the area and am fairly familiar with the policies behind that but id like to know more about what the plans are (if any) for legitimate legal cannabis stores. Will one be opening any time soon? I heard there's one planned to come out in Georgetown next year but its not confirmed. Also, what's the deal with public smoking laws? If you're outside, can you just light one up in the street without worrying? I imagine there are some areas where it might be restricted. Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
I-502 Implementation | Washington State Liquor Control Board

Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 PM

83 posts, read 231,745 times
BUMP!!
Lol. What is the culture like?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I walk through the heavily congested Pike Place market area daily about 3pm, and often see (and smell) people smoking a joint in public while police officers ride by on horses or bikes and ignore them. It may be a while longer before any details of regulations for sale and taxing are set up, but meanwhile it is definitely a hands-off policy for the police unless someone is found with a large quantity. The same cannot be said for the smaller cities, such as on the eastside where it may be a low priority but most use is younger people (illegal age) and they are busted regularly. They also do enforce the "no smoking within 25' of a building entrance" state law, whether it be pot or tobacco.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:54 PM

195 posts, read 335,756 times
The Seattle PD blog post was pretty informative (if dated), and hilarious

Marijwhatnow? A Guide to Legal Marijuana Use In Seattle

Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
The law passed by the voters does not allow for the public consumption of marijuana. But the voters of the city of Seattle a number of years ago directed the Seattle police to regard marijuana as lowest priority, so if you discretely light up I don't think you're taking much of a risk, but it's not technically legal. Don't light up at an elementary school, or in front of the offices of the Lung Association.
I think the group tasked with implementing the law isn't quite done with their task, but I think stores are scheduled to open sometime in 2014. It's also very possible that the federal government will intervene, preventing the stores from opening.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekniskagal View Post
bump!!
Lol. What is the culture like?
same...as...it...ever...was

Old 12-22-2013, 11:17 AM

60 posts, read 128,449 times
Sorry to wake this old thread up, but I'm a bit confused by the system here. I went to the dispensary in my neighborhood and they told me I'd have to go to a clinic first, get registered and get an ID. Makes sense. But, do they really need a fully documented medical condition or is it more of a joke/formality? How likely are you to get refused registration?

Old 12-22-2013, 11:32 AM

588 posts, read 1,014,597 times
I've heard they are stricter than other states like California, but regardless I'm sure it can be done fairly easily. Having said that, it will cost you some cash, couple hundred bucks I think, so may as well just wait a few months and you'll be able to buy in stores without the medical hassle. Last I heard, non-medical stores should be opening by June 2014.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianmoon View Post
Sorry to wake this old thread up, but I'm a bit confused by the system here. I went to the dispensary in my neighborhood and they told me I'd have to go to a clinic first, get registered and get an ID. Makes sense. But, do they really need a fully documented medical condition or is it more of a joke/formality? How likely are you to get refused registration?
It is more of a joke/formality. There are "doctors" who have offices "coincidentally" right next door to the dispensaries. I don't think you can walk into the clinic and say " Nothing's wrong with me, write me a prescription, beeyatch.", but you can probably say " I get headaches", or " My back hurts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area