Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,855 times

Advertisements

We are strongly considering a move to Seattle from Cincinnati, OH where my 8 year old son is currently enrolled in an amazing public Montessori Elementary school (it's actually our neighborhood school.) I would love to find another quality Montessori school for him, but I know that we will definitely not have the funds for a private school. I had heard that SPS has two charter Montessori Elementary schools, so I went to the SPS website, but it didn't have the schools listed by method and didn't seem to have anything about "alternative" schools.
So...
How are the Montessori schools in the Seattle Public system?
Is it difficult to get your child enrolled? (Will I have to tent out for 3 days to get on the wait list?)
Are they exclusive to any neighborhoods in the city?
If anyone can answer this question, I'd be super grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,121 times
Daniel Bagley - near Greenlake - is one of the Montessori schools. We're about to start our kid in the program... check back in a few weeks and I'll give you more detail on how good it is/isn't.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,115 times
I don't know how the public schools do Montessori here, but the school websites refer parents to AMS and AMI for more info and state that most teachers are AMS certified. All of the Montessori classrooms use Montessori materials yet still incorporate standard SPS curricula (ie. Everyday Math, NSF science curriculum with Foss science kits, Balanced Literacy, Writer's Workshop), so it must be some kind of blended curriculum. One program called itself a "cosmic education" per Montessori terminology -- maybe a web search will shed light on what that means in an elementary classroom. In addition to using CD, I would call the school directly to gather info.

Cosmic education at Graham Hill (which apparently is still enrolling Montessori):

http://grahamhilles.seattleschools.o...ssori%2010.pdf

It will be VERY difficult to get into a public Montessori program, for admission is based on lottery & choice applications must be submitted in March. The Montessori spaces in particular are very limited, so enrollment is competitive (ie. more applicants than spaces). You can't increase your chances by camping, begging, or calling the school. The lottery is prioritized for Montessori by these categories: 1) attendance area, 2) sibling, 3) distance, and lastly, 4) general lottery. Thus, your best chance of getting into any given school is to live within the school's actual attendance area & as close to the school as possible. I imagine it is even more difficult getting in for an 8 year old since this would require someone to drop out of a program, in order to open up a space.

The 3 schools are Leshi, Graham, and Daniel Bagley. Montessori is a type of "option" program in SPS. The word "option" is used instead of "alternative" here.

Resources:

(see page 10 for Montessori lottery tiebrakers):
http://www.seattleschools.org/module...b658387011f216

(choice application):
http://www.seattleschools.org/module...b658387011f216

(school directory):
Seattle Public Schools - School Directory

(address check for assignment/attendance school):
Seattle Public Schools - Search for Attendance Area Schools

(district map):
http://www.seattleschools.org/module...strict-Map.pdf

(attendance map -- elementary schools):
http://www.seattleschools.org/module...593cd61cbc5833

(district scorecards):
http://www.seattleschools.org/module...strict-Map.pdf

(search scorecard each school individually):
Washington State Report Card

Last edited by west seattle gal; 08-15-2013 at 12:36 AM..

Old 01-27-2017, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
Default Montessori Program in Daniel Bagley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Daniel Bagley - near Greenlake - is one of the Montessori schools. We're about to start our kid in the program... check back in a few weeks and I'll give you more detail on how good it is/isn't.
Hi,

My kid is attending a Montessori school in West Seattle now. I am interested in Montessori Program in Daniel Bagley. So glad to find somebody has been attending this program. Does your kid like there? How's the teacher? Do you know the overall academic achievement of the program?

Thank you very much in advance,

Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Have you considered Waldorf schools in Seattle? Our 12 year old daughter has been there since 1st grade and we like it very much.

Bright Water Waldorf: Private Waldorf School in Seattle, WA | Bright Water School
Seattle Waldorf: Seattle Waldorf School

Old 01-27-2017, 07:20 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,748 times
The other thing to consider living anywhere in Seattle is your housing budget. Seattle will cost a bit more than Cincinnati (go Reds!). For example, I live a few blocks from Graham Hill in the Seward Park neighborhood - median home is probably round $700-$800K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area