Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This will give you a good idea of what goes on in Tukwila. Not life threatening, but definitely not what you want for neighbors. From today's news.

Feds raid Tukwila motels in drug investigation - seattlepi.com
For some people being able to walk to the drugstore is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,826,582 times
Like Pork is the other white meat, Tukwila is the other T-Town of the Puget Sound.. In case you didn't know, T-Town is a term given to the benevolent town of Tacoma, also known to a few as Ta-Compton.

In all honesty, neither Tacoma or Tukwila are horrible, but both have some rough spots.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Like Pork is the other white meat, Tukwila is the other T-Town of the Puget Sound.. In case you didn't know, T-Town is a term given to the benevolent town of Tacoma, also known to a few as Ta-Compton.

In all honesty, neither Tacoma or Tukwila are horrible, but both have some rough spots.
But Tacoma has some great neighborhoods, has some really beautiful spots. Tukwila? I'm not aware of any cool neighborhoods within Tukwila, although there are some weird rural parts by the river.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But Tacoma has some great neighborhoods, has some really beautiful spots. Tukwila? I'm not aware of any cool neighborhoods within Tukwila, although there are some weird rural parts by the river.
It has a few nice condos near the mall, but no neighborhoods, per se.

Here is some news today, fresh from the other T-Town:
Feds raid Tukwila motels in drug investigation - seattlepi.com
http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...wila-motels%2F

Quite a lovely town.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 PM

427 posts, read 430,639 times
Tukwila is only good for 2 things:

1) Proximity to SeaTac Airport and Freeways I-5/I-405/SR518/SR599

2) SHOPPING: It's retail district along Southcenter Parkway (which is one of the largest retail areas in the State). Not a good place to live.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
I admit I was charmed by the shopping options of Tukwila especially Southcenter mall, but Renton is just basically down the road right? I went to Ikea which was 10min away and that was in Renton, so I may point my attention toward Renton as a potential place to live.
Yes, you're correct about the proximity to Renton. That's where I live. We're out in Tukwila three or four times a week, usually picking up stuff for the kiddo at Babies R Us or grabbing a quick dinner at one of the many restaurants. The main drag in Tukwila is about 15 minutes from our front door.

I know Tukwila has a reputation for property crime (cars getting broken into at the mall, in particular), but it's not a ratty slum, either. But I think many, if not most, people around here think of Tuwkila as the place they go to shop, and not really to live.

I would most definitely recommend Burien or Renton. I know Renton better, but Burien is fine from what I've seen. Both are working-class towns. Nothing flashy or pretentious. Some sketchy areas here and there, but on the whole, nice places. Cost of living is much cheaper than in Seattle proper or the east side of Lake Washington. If you're looking to buy a house, you'll get more house for the money in Renton or Burien than you would in those other places.

Renton has a quaint and fairly quiet downtown with some nice mom-and-pop restaurants, plus it has its own shopping center, The Landing. Nowhere near as big as Southcenter Mall, but there are quite a few chain stores (Target, World Market, Michael's, Pier One, Petsmart, Staples) and restaurants (Red Robin, Panera, Five Guys, Jimmy John's), plus a multiplex movie theater.

And we also have the area's only Ikea!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM

681 posts, read 1,044,785 times
Renton does seem really nice by what i'm hearing, I also went to that Ikea and it was huge! the area seems what i'm looking for with Seattle being only a little drive away based on traffic. I'm going to put my focus on Renton for my place to live, now how are they with apartments and townhouses? as i'll need something semi-short term until i'm ready to buy a house in the area. Also any lakes, trails or parks in Renton?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
Renton does seem really nice by what i'm hearing, I also went to that Ikea and it was huge! the area seems what i'm looking for with Seattle being only a little drive away based on traffic. I'm going to put my focus on Renton for my place to live, now how are they with apartments and townhouses? as i'll need something semi-short term until i'm ready to buy a house in the area. Also any lakes, trails or parks in Renton?
Renton has Lake Washington, and the Cedar River. It has the Cedar River Trail, which starts in Renton and is 17 miles long. It has the May Creek Trail, and the Honey Creek trail. Echo Mountain is outside the city limits but with a Renton address, and you can climb to the top and back down in less than an hour, and enjoy a great view of Mt. Rainier from the top. Renton has all kinds of parks.
Renton also has all kinds of apartments, pretty much spread out throughout the city. Not a ton of townhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area