Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 PM

15 posts, read 19,638 times

Advertisements

For years and years I have wanted to live in Seattle. Maybe it was because of my misplaced love for the Mariners. Or the look of the city and the surroundings. I don't know. Anyway, I currently live in the UK having moved here from Ohio to get a Masters Degree. I would be moving to Seattle without a job lined up because its near impossible to land work outside of your own state let alone country, but I do have close to $30,000 in the bank and a family that is very supportive. I work in marketing and am very well educated with two years experience and the wife has eight years retail experience.

Could some Seattle folk please enlighten me on the cost of living for a couple that only needs a studio or one bedroom apartment. And how is the job market at the moment? Any advice?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 06:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Our job market is better than most areas of the country, but it's mainly in high tech (Amazon, for example, is hiring thousands) and retail/restaurants. Our minimum wage is now $9.19, and no state income tax, but rent is high with the average 1 BR at $1,100. If you can deal with a less desirable but still pretty safe area (don't leave valuables in the car) you might find a studio for $700. With your savings and frugality you could last a year, but you should find work in less time than that, just maybe not in your chosen career. Marketing jobs took a big hit with the economy and plenty of experienced people are still here competing for every job.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 PM

60 posts, read 128,525 times
Depends on the type of marketing. If you've got a even a shred of SQL experience and you can show your willingness to learn new technical skills, marketing is pretty big amongst the tech giants in Seattle.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 AM

SQL. I could always learn it. We are paying close to $750 - 800 here in Leeds so jumping to $1,000 really is not a big deal. I'm sure the wife can find something in retail before I will to help support us. My masters was on International Marketing and Research, so SPSS, strategic planning, logistics and that stuff. Digital marketing as well, like SEO.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,393 times
I have been in love with Seattle for years now, I'm finally making my move in the next few months. I was there last week on my days off just scouting it out a little more.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM

60 posts, read 128,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury53 View Post
SQL. I could always learn it. We are paying close to $750 - 800 here in Leeds so jumping to $1,000 really is not a big deal. I'm sure the wife can find something in retail before I will to help support us. My masters was on International Marketing and Research, so SPSS, strategic planning, logistics and that stuff. Digital marketing as well, like SEO.
Be sure to make your SPSS/statistics skills prominent on your résumé. Any experience with large data sets in general in really important as well. For someone with those skills, marketing is still in demand.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations on looking for work before a possible arrival. Recruiters and so on? I don't really have any connections in that area that I'm aware of.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations on looking for work before a possible arrival. Recruiters and so on? I don't really have any connections in that area that I'm aware of.
try staffing agencies and temp places to start with. Myself recommend Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com

Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM

I have used indeed many times. Great site. The only problem is being so far away. Would a recruiter be able to help and can you recommend any?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I have used indeed many times. Great site. The only problem is being so far away. Would a recruiter be able to help and can you recommend any?
that does make it more challenging, unless a company offer's relocation assistance which most don't you may need to really enforce in a cover letter or something that you are willing to relocate on your own once offered a position, being far away also makes interviews a little tough to schedule.

I moved to central oregon as a stepping stone and am now close enough (5.5hr drive) to seattle to make interviews and more seriously apply for work.

Good luck to you as Seattle is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: