Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 PM

309 posts, read 756,117 times

Advertisements

As someone who grew up in Seattle, Bellevue will always be a suburb to me. I live in Downtown Seattle and whenever I go to Bellevue I always feel like I am in Suburbia surrounded by a bunch of soccer moms and stepford wives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM

872 posts, read 2,022,735 times
Though Bellevue' population is ~130,000, it is definitely suburbia. The crime rate is extremely low, everything is new and in a Cul-de-sac. People don't say "oh Im going to Bellevue next month", they will always say, "oh Im going to Seattle next month". Seattle IS the city and it doesn't look like Bellevue will be anywhere near that title for 100 years, if ever.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 PM

426 posts, read 426,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Seattle IS the city and it doesn't look like Bellevue will be anywhere near that title for 100 years, if ever.
wlw2009.....have you seen pictures of Seattle in 1940? Less than a 75 years ago. Look at today. I think Bellevue might need more time to get to that "big city" status, but look how far Bellevue has gone just in 30 years. So I think you are way off base with your 100 year statement on Bellevue.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:00 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,510,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
wlw2009.....have you seen pictures of Seattle in 1940? Less than a 75 years ago. Look at today. I think Bellevue might need more time to get to that "big city" status, but look how far Bellevue has gone just in 30 years. So I think you are way off base with your 100 year statement on Bellevue.
It's radically different from even 15 years ago. And it's about to start another huge round of development. Look for more cranes popping up.

People realize there is such a thing as a small city, right? It doesn't have to be large city or suburb. To compare Bellevue to a suburb like Sammamish is ridiculous. Bellevue has a sizable business downtown core in addition to its numerous residential areas.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:48 AM

29,841 posts, read 18,685,324 times
To me it seems like its own city (safe and affluent city) with all the corporate jobs and downtown area. There are more people working in Bellevue than there are people living there...certainly not the norm for a suburb.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:42 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,619,579 times
I don't know how close Bellevue is to full city status yet but if you saw Bellevue just twenty years ago, you would not believe how different it is now. If it grows at the same rate for the next twenty years, I could see sister city.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM

688 posts, read 966,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007jamesbond View Post
As someone who grew up in Seattle, Bellevue will always be a suburb to me. I live in Downtown Seattle and whenever I go to Bellevue I always feel like I am in Suburbia surrounded by a bunch of soccer moms and stepford wives.
I don't know how much time you're actually spending in Bellevue but your assumptions are absolutely ridiculous and completely untrue. This is a very diverse, multicultural community comprised of people from all walks of life. Yes, some of our children play soccer and we do need to transport them, just as mothers do throughout the city of Seattle. Believe it or not, we actually have brains in our heads, advanced college degrees and rewarding careers. Why, we even read the newspaper!

Last edited by LaylaM; 09-08-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 PM

30 years ago, Bellevue was like the Federal Way of today for the most part. Bellevue stands on it's own like Tacoma and Spokane. I can only imagine what Bellevue will look like in 20 years. It will probably look like Denver.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,245,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
30 years ago, Bellevue was like the Federal Way of today for the most part. Bellevue stands on it's own like Tacoma and Spokane. I can only imagine what Bellevue will look like in 20 years. It will probably look like Denver.
But 30 years ago Bellevue was cool in a different way. It wasn't fancy at all, didn't have skyscrapers, and had the Dairy Queen and the John Danz Theatre. It's really transformed, and that's not good or bad. But it's very much more of a city. I wouldn't call it a sister city of Seattle unless we're talking about siblings who don't get along.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But 30 years ago Bellevue was cool in a different way. It wasn't fancy at all, didn't have skyscrapers, and had the Dairy Queen and the John Danz Theatre. It's really transformed, and that's not good or bad. But it's very much more of a city. I wouldn't call it a sister city of Seattle unless we're talking about siblings who don't get along.
I remember that Dairy Queen....the one where The Bravern is now.

I think Bellevue and Seattle are starting to compete in commerce etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area