Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 03:39 PM

265 posts, read 722,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
You make Midwestern men sound like cattle. Beefy, hunky braindead men, fattened and ready for slaughter.

My husband is Midwest born and bred. He hates football, likes books, and can hold an intelligent conversation. Maybe I just got lucky.
No one ever said Midwest men were brain-dead, it is quite the opposite. But we do tend to get more of the physical than brainy type. And I am not meaning they don't read or care about what is going on in the world, I am talking about the sensitive, vegetarian, if-I-whine-enough-I-will-make-the-world-a-better-place type. Those we do not see many of in the Midwest unless they are transplants. I think the mentality is more you work for what you want and work for what you need, I think it makes a huge difference. Physically though they are superior, in my opinion. A lot probably has to do with genetics. Certain ethnicity tended to live together for varied reasons so I would say that has much to do with it as well. Particularly in Michigan most people are from Eastern European decent and they are big and beefy.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Nobody said you have to be tall to be masculine, so I don't know why you are jumping to that conclusion. She was just mentioning her husband's height as an extra descriptor. Yes, most women like tall men but it is merely a plus not a sole factor in making a man look like a man.

Also, I think the conversation earlier threw around the acronym PNW when we were all really just referring to the Seattle area and Portland area. And yes, you are right that it probably is more of a metropolitan, big city thing. The further away in WA state I go from Seattle, the more the people start to look and think like Midwesterners.
Very much so. I would say out here we see a lot less of the feminine man. I think I mentioned that, and about the time you get to Port Townsend is when it really starts.

And yes, short men can be attractive too, I was just stating a fact. My twin sons are actually pretty short and very good-looking and masculine as my ex-husband was short as well. My present husband who I have been with now going on 19 years is very tall so OUR son is as well. Not quite that tall yet, and I hope he won't be. Being that big comes with a lot of stress on your back, legs and feet. Right now our 16 year old is 6'1" and I am hoping he doesn't get a whole lot taller.

I will say though I have spent time in NYC and Chicago, and I think Seattle really does have the most feminine men. I think when you see some of these traits on the men in NYC they are usually gay or bi-sexual where here they are straight. And generally men who are metro-sexual in these other cities mean men who dress nice, like theater and art, and get manicures, often because they work in things like the banking industry where they are expected to look really good.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Even more so.. You gotta be tough to survive out in some the rugged terrain in these parts.. Come to the Oregon Coast, where I use to live if you want to see some people who are as tough as nails.

People in Montana are probably some of the toughest I ever seen.. They are not much different in looks, personality and mindset than people in rural Oregon where I lived for many years.
I agree with the Montana statement, though I notice most of them tend to be a lot leaner. Tough as hell though. Oregon, not sure about that one

Old 10-20-2013, 03:50 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
No. In Japan, women equate relationships and sex with losing their careers. The culture is completely behind the times, and young people don't want to buy into that. In America, you can get married AND keep your job.

Plus, if I had to take a shower before and after sex, I'd probably have a lot less of it too.
That attitude is not restricted to Japan:

Third of women remove wedding rings 'to enhance career prospects' - Telegraph

With that having been said, I will note that I have heard a similar complaint among men and women ... that dating is a chore. It's somewhere in between doing the laundry, changing the oil in your car, and paying your bills. As such, I have heard a lot of resentment expressed towards the idea of dating, let alone marriage.

Methinks Japan is just on the leading edge of a first-world phenomenon.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
I agree with the Montana statement, though I notice most of them tend to be a lot leaner. Tough as hell though. Oregon, not sure about that one
Trust me.. Oregon is the toughest of the toughest in this country.. It is the land of lumberjacks.. And, if you go to the coast you have a mixture of both lumberjack and rugged seamen who survive the harsh climate of the Oregon coast. Men just don't get any tougher.. I ought to know .. Even Portland, once upon a time, was a city full of tough and rugged men.. I know I grew up there before all the transplants moved in. Portland was a very tough town for a long period of time, both in the white and black ghettos. You had a mix of lumberjacks, country people, blue collar industrial types and then all the homeboys/gangsters who lived in the NE part of Portland, which at the time was the "black ghetto". Even in a town like Eugene, full of what you think are left-wing hippies, you will have a share of good ol boy hippy types who like to fight, hunt and are well trained in survival skills and firearms. They co-exist with all the redneck and logger types.

I find your posts rather interesting.. IT is true Seattle definitely attracts the most feminine and emasculated of men. Actually, the mentality of people in Seattle is driving me crazy and I would love to get the heck out of the Seattle area. As nice it is to be around more conservative people here in the South Puget Sound, I find the area caters to older people and married couples with families.. A single, mid 30 something guy who didn't grow up here doesn't really have any means of meeting people. Since I am not Christian or work in the factory, there is not much of a way for me to network myself. Going to Seattle is the only option for socializing, but the ultra left-wing and effeminate/feminist nature of the city drives me mad..

And, even though some may accuse me of being homophobic or gay bashing, which is not true, I will say I am very wary of the large number of gay/bi-sexual men in Seattle and have been hit on multiple times and have had men try to make passes on me , which I find grotesque.. These guys knew I was straight , but felt protected by the political correct police and knew if I dare challenged their behavior I would be accused of a hate crime. Had these guys tried what they did in Oregon (at least back in the day), they would have had their behinds handed to them. Nobody will harm a gay person, but if he starts hitting or trying to pick up on straight guys he will without a doubt get his butt kicked hard. Not so in Seattle, Olympia or Bellingham.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
So basically the OP suffered the "grass is greener" syndrome.

Personally I've lived in a number of places and still rate Seattle women quite high on my list of attractive women.

And the OP is obviously male. Of course; any woman will tell you the rain and humidity do wreck much of many styling that is attempted on hair. It turns most women's hair into frizz pretty quickly. And same thing with makeup; you don't want anything that will get too moisturized by the humidity in the air lest it turns into gobs or worse, smudges. Finally, with the cloud cover we usually get, even modest makeup sometimes looks like the mid-80s gaudy overdone look.

And sexy clothing begets the need and ability to wear it. The need stems from having a roughly even pool of females and males. Seattle is more skewed towards males, hence less need to prim up. The ability isn't there either - 70s and sunny begets shorts and t-shirts, not bikini or short shorts that high 80s and 90s other places see in the summer. Heck the OP knows you don't swim in the water here! At least not without a wetsuit ... friggin cold!

Give the girls some slack. In addition to the environmental points above I made, remember most Seattle men are introverted, shy, nerdly, and generally unapproachable without incoherent babbling or, as is often the default, strained conversation followed by awkward silence until you part. Even fit, outdoorsmen types of men I've noticed act this way. What's a girl to do? Put a big sign on her that says "JUST **** ME ALREADY!" No because they're shy too and don't want to be seen as sluts.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
So basically the OP suffered the "grass is greener" syndrome.

Personally I've lived in a number of places and still rate Seattle women quite high on my list of attractive women.

And the OP is obviously male. Of course; any woman will tell you the rain and humidity do wreck much of many styling that is attempted on hair. It turns most women's hair into frizz pretty quickly. And same thing with makeup; you don't want anything that will get too moisturized by the humidity in the air lest it turns into gobs or worse, smudges. Finally, with the cloud cover we usually get, even modest makeup sometimes looks like the mid-80s gaudy overdone look.

And sexy clothing begets the need and ability to wear it. The need stems from having a roughly even pool of females and males. Seattle is more skewed towards males, hence less need to prim up. The ability isn't there either - 70s and sunny begets shorts and t-shirts, not bikini or short shorts that high 80s and 90s other places see in the summer. Heck the OP knows you don't swim in the water here! At least not without a wetsuit ... friggin cold!

Give the girls some slack. In addition to the environmental points above I made, remember most Seattle men are introverted, shy, nerdly, and generally unapproachable without incoherent babbling or, as is often the default, strained conversation followed by awkward silence until you part. Even fit, outdoorsmen types of men I've noticed act this way. What's a girl to do? Put a big sign on her that says "JUST **** ME ALREADY!" No because they're shy too and don't want to be seen as sluts.
So true about hair and makeup. Portland too. There are products to help the hair although trust me, none of them work as they claim to and the makers of makeup just don't get it that their often stuff does not work well in damp climates. It kind of makes me think that maybe what men are seeing as attractiveness in other climates better suited to women being able to successfully use these things may be looking more at superficially made up attractiveness than real beauty. Just a thought Maybe it really does give credibility that "beauty is only skin deep

Old 10-20-2013, 11:43 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So true about hair and makeup. Portland too. There are products to help the hair although trust me, none of them work as they claim to and the makers of makeup just don't get it that their often stuff does not work well in damp climates. It kind of makes me think that maybe what men are seeing as attractiveness in other climates better suited to women being able to successfully use these things may be looking more at superficially made up attractiveness than real beauty. Just a thought Maybe it really does give credibility that "beauty is only skin deep
Well besides all that, Seattle's just not the kind of city that attracts even naturally good-looking men & women from around the country. Those types tend to go to warmer cities, especially LA or Miami if they're trying to be models. Those people want to be seen, and the winters in Seattle do not allow for that.

And who knows, it could be that we are all saying everyone in Seattle is ugly because we're just in the wrong places at the wrong times. Every once in a while, I see a hot guy riding his bike on the street and I almost want to run after him and ask him where he hangs out. I have no idea where these guys come from. They can't all be tourists. It's like finding a four leaf clover.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Well besides all that, Seattle's just not the kind of city that attracts even naturally good-looking men & women from around the country. Those types tend to go to warmer cities, especially LA or Miami if they're trying to be models. Those people want to be seen, and the winters in Seattle do not allow for that.

And who knows, it could be that we are all saying everyone in Seattle is ugly because we're just in the wrong places at the wrong times. Every once in a while, I see a hot guy riding his bike on the street and I almost want to run after him and ask him where he hangs out. I have no idea where these guys come from. They can't all be tourists. It's like finding a four leaf clover.

You're out of luck. I just moved to California a few months ago.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:

You've never seen a hot guy here, because you haven't seen me.. I'm not just hot, but downright and dangerously sexy..

But then, I am from Oregon..

P.S. Seattle has a lot of decent looking girls, they just don't act sexy.. They try to be like men to fulfill their feminist societal requirements.. In the end, they just end up being deranged, mental cases not sure who they are.. Many of the men here are told its bad to be a man, so many end up acting girl like or become gay to fulfill this liberal/ultra left-wing fascist society's demands of the anti-male male which also abides by the feminist creed that dominates the city of Seattle and its proxy cities, Olympia and Bellingham.

What ticks me off is women griping and complaining about how men are misogynists for being men, then they whine and complain when the men all go femme and give up on being a man..

Actually this thread has been somewhat enlightening for me.. Maybe there is some women in Seattle who want a real man and are tired of all the emasculated types of men here.. I do see some potential here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area