Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:57 PM

413 posts, read 789,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Oddly enough, the Bay area does not get nearly as hot or humid as Seattle does in the Summer. So, I wonder how someone who couldn't stand Bay area heat could stand Seattle's summers, which can be muggy sometimes and much warmer.

Also, if you live near the ocean in Southern California, in general, the weather is much cooler than the Puget Sound area of Washington.. It is when you go inland you get the heat, but the same can be said for Washington, which easily his the 90s every year, like in Wenatchee.

OP, it is against the law to criticize Seattle in any way and by doing so you risk banishment to the realm of dirty looks, hostile jabs and eternal condemnation for doing so. People in Seattle do not take criticism or any critical discourse or discussion very well.
You routinely post scathing criticisms of Seattle. I'm curious why you continue to live here? It seems like you'd be much happier somewhere else.

Pleas note that I'm not criticizing your criticisms. I think Seattle has more problems than most Seattle-ites would like to admit, particularly the skyrocketing cost of living. Personally, I no longer want to live in Seattle and plan on moving withing the next couple of years. Perhaps you should consider doing the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 04:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Oddly enough, the Bay area does not get nearly as hot or humid as Seattle does in the Summer. So, I wonder how someone who couldn't stand Bay area heat could stand Seattle's summers, which can be muggy sometimes and much warmer.
Not true. I grew up In Lafayette and went to high school in Concord and the first week of school it was always at least 105 even in early September. I have seen 100 here maybe twice in 20 years. This is the first year I experienced any real humidity in the summer, and that only lasted about a week.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:48 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
It's a trendy hipster/hippy/liberal city.....many people absolutely love it.

I grew up in Seattle and would NEVER move back...cost of living is one of the biggest factors. Throw in the mostly cray weather and vile/close-minded libs........nope, you can have it.

It used to be a place where people with moderate incomes could live a really decent life. But, just like any other trendy city.....it is getting way overpriced. I suspect that in the future, if you are not of significant means, and you live in Seattle........you will live a rat-like life, much like lower income folks do now in SF or NYC.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
what's the Seattle attraction...?

...[being the imaginary LaLa land for some type of people...]

poor dopes.

But keep on coming. Local landlords and real estate agents appreciate it.
Gum Wall. I could look at that thing all day. So many gum wads!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Gum Wall. I could look at that thing all day. So many gum wads!
Yeh, but for me it's the Troll. I always get surprised when I pass by even though I know it's there.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:22 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
You routinely post scathing criticisms of Seattle. I'm curious why you continue to live here? It seems like you'd be much happier somewhere else.

Pleas note that I'm not criticizing your criticisms. I think Seattle has more problems than most Seattle-ites would like to admit, particularly the skyrocketing cost of living. Personally, I no longer want to live in Seattle and plan on moving withing the next couple of years. Perhaps you should consider doing the same?
Why keep asking such a ridiculous question.. The answer is money.. It's what brought me here and what may force me to stay.. Money, money, money , money..

If you want to donate to my cause of leaving, I'd love to follow your footsteps.. So where are you planning on escaping to?

Old 10-13-2013, 08:26 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not true. I grew up In Lafayette and went to high school in Concord and the first week of school it was always at least 105 even in early September. I have seen 100 here maybe twice in 20 years. This is the first year I experienced any real humidity in the summer, and that only lasted about a week.
Concord reaches 105?? Wow.. Must be quite unusual .. Even LA rarely reaches the 100s.. As a matter of fact I have seen more 100+ days living in Oregon most of my life than when I lived in Southern California.. Although I spent many years in Southern and Central Oregon.. I remember digging ditches for a church out in 105F heat in Cottage Grove, OR and almost collapsing from heat stroke..

Anyhow, Concord is just a small part of the bay area.. A majority of the cities in the Bay area, San Fran, San Jose and Oakland rarely see temps above 80. That is where as majority of the population lives, not out in the desert area to the east.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:25 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,137 times
Lets see here...
LA is arguably the most materialistic and and image oriented city in the US. To me, it has an almost entirely unpleasant social climate because of the self absorbed career types who live there. I would hate living somewhere where I feel like almost every time I talk to someone they are trying to one up me and/or trying to find out what I have going for me that is useful to them. It is also spread out over a million miles and public transit is barely adequate. It's dirty, desertous, and if you took it off the coastline there would be literally no reason to go out there unless you fancy yourself as the next Kim Kardashian, in which case you can hop in like with the other hundreds of thousands of people with that same aspiration.

San Franciso is the most overrated city I've ever been to in my life. The houses are pretty bland looking and are literally stacked on top of another, not to mentioned you have the privilege of spending your life savings on rent. There are sanctimonious elitists everywhere who for whatever reason think that are living in the cultural capital of the world. It also doesn't help that the city is also filthy dirty and you have to worry about homeless people hassling you relentlessly even in the downtown area. No thanks.

To sum in up, I don't have much care for California outside a select few towns. I could almost see myself making a thread like this in reverse, asking people why the hell they were deciding to move to California instead of Washington or oregon, which are much more livable states.

To each their own, but at least I don't go around trolling on the sf or la form. Come to think of it, I wouldn't care for seattle to become infested by California types anyway.

What does seattle have going for it? Lets see, beautiful scenery, vibrant arts scene, low unemployment rate, relatively affordable. Need I say more?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 PM

399 posts, read 882,625 times
I think im starting to understand this forum. If I have a bad experience living or visiting somewhere, just make a thread about it.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Seattle has warmer summers than San Francisco where it rarely reaches 75 in July and August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area