Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 05:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,221 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've been reading thru pages of posts, and found many answers and many more questions. We are contemplating a move to Seattle, and I was hoping to get some feedback on where to concentrate my research. Here's what we are looking for:

1. Great schools -- but I'm not basing that on having a 10 on GreatSchools.com, or what the standardized test scores are. I want a school that will educate my kids, prepare them for college (not necessarily Ivy League), and will be a kind and warm place for them to learn and explore and just be kids. My son is heading to middle school next year, and my daughter is two years behind him. They are artsy kids, not so sporty.

2. Some space, not too much -- I'm a midwestern farm girl currently living in the suburbs of Boston. I long for some space, but I know that the amount of work involved in keeping up a large space would end up being too much. So maybe a half-acre, give or take, with a place I can grow some food (you can grow food in Seattle, right?). I just don't want to look out my windows and see what my neighbor is watching on TV or fixing for dinner. We would be more apt to pile into the car to go camping or for a hike than head into the city... but we like that too.

3. Commutable to MS... we would like to see Dad now and again.

I've been looking at Woodinville, Sammamish, Issaquah, Duvall... it's hard to get a feel for a place thru Trulia. So I'm asking the experts!

Many thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The cities you are considering all have what you are looking for, same with Redmond and Kirkland. They all also have the big house/small lot cookie cutter homes, so anything with 1/2 acre is going to be harder to find and more expensive. Older areas of Sammamish, for example have 1/3 acre lots, with 2,500-3,000 sf homes while newer ones may be 3,500 sf on minimum lots of 5,000 sf. Watch out also for big trees. Yes, despite the short growing season here we can do gardens, but finding a large enough area free of shade is difficult. I have several 100' firs and had to position a greenhouse where it gets 2 hours of morning sun and 4 hours afternoon, and that's the best we can do.
Duvall is a little far out to commute with nasty traffic to Redmond, but not bad enough to stop you if you find the ideal home there.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumztheword View Post

I've been looking at Woodinville, Sammamish, Issaquah, Duvall... it's hard to get a feel for a place thru Trulia. So I'm asking the experts!

Many thanks...
It looks like you are focused in the correct areas. The eastern part of Redmond has larger lots that could work for you too. Maple Valley would work too, but the commute is longer.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 AM

458 posts, read 957,685 times
If you want to be fairly close to MS, with very good schools and large lots then Woodinville or the eastern part of Redmond would be good areas to focus on. Both have parts that actually seem semi rural and the access to trails and the great outdoors would be wonderful in both.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:15 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
The big question as always is your housing budget ... none of the places mentioned are necessarily cheap, guessing easily high 6 figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area