Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 AM

55 posts, read 47,801 times

Advertisements

After renting for 5 years in Seattle, I feel in need of a change. The crowding and noise levels seem to be increasing. What can you tell me about living in Des Moines, in and around the Highline Community College area.

I do contract work, mainly in Seattle. My priorities are safety, quiet and cleanliness.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 11:22 AM

368 posts, read 695,335 times
Des Moines is nice, and I think being on the water could gentrify eventually like West Seattle has done. There is some crime issues with Pac HWY area. Highline is close to a bad part of Des Moines, the NE corner. Had a Des Moines cop tell me much of their calls are along that area. Also, you will encounter Seatac noise as you are under the flight path. Des Moines has several areas to check out as it curves south with it's Redondo area that is 3 miles from highline, and you should also take a look at Normandy Park.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,941 times
I was born and raised in Des Moines. My parents lived there for 35 years. In my 20's, I owned a house about a mile from the college. Do you have any specific questions?

Des Moines overall is nice. Up by Pac Hwy, there are some crime issues. Downtown Des Moines is nice and there are lots of really nice pockets. It is a very convenient location. Just a few minutes commute to I5. You can be in Seattle or Tacoma in about 25-30 minutes. The waterfront is great. There are several parks. There is an off leash dog park. Lots of shopping. Good restaurants. As far as quiet, you will have airplane noise as most of Des Moines is under the flight path of Seatac Airport. Most of the houses have been specially insulated with a "Port Package" that includes quad-pane windows, extra insulation, solid wood front doors.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:51 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,287,553 times
As a general ruly, the closer to Puget Sound and father away from Pac Hwy you can get, the better. In fact, Des Moines Sound waterfront (in my opinion) is one of the best values in the region.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:01 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
The noise in Seattle (Belltown) was getting to me too a few years ago. So I got a place on the alley side on a block with no bars. It's reeeeally quiet. I'd worry about the noise in the average suburban neighborhood, like the ones I grew up in...what if there's a barking dog nearby? What about lawn mowers?

Old 05-17-2016, 01:12 AM

55 posts, read 47,801 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. Due to possible job change, I've decided to stay in the city a bit longer. I very much appreciate the mention about the air flights path and proximity overhead to Des Moines. Back east, I lived in a similar pattern and found it to be disruptive to sleep. (I know, I'm high maintenance )

Seriously, your feedback has been very helpful - Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area