Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 14,411 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Southern California to the Seattle area (Boeing Everett) within the next few months and are trying to settle on an area. We have 3 kids (2 elementary school, 1 Junior High) and are looking for the usual- great schools, friendly community, etc. We've narrowed it down to Woodinville (either Hollywood Hill or Wellington schools), Bothell (Northshore District) and possibly the Harbor Pointe area of Mukilteo. I've searched through "Great Schools" and what I can find on the internet, but wondered if anyone had any "insider" thoughts on the benefits and drawbacks of these areas/schools. Also considering that we will be there for the long haul, we want to include the High Schools in our figuring. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
We live in Woodinville and love it but for Boeing Everett I would recommend Mukilteo Harbor Point.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 14,411 times
Thanks, Seacove. Because of the commute? Do you know of any disadvantages of living at Harbor Pointe?

Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,353 times
Mukilteo. It's gorgeous and the commute will be cake. The schools are good, too.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:45 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,094 times
My husband is an engineer at Boeing, so when we moved up here to the north end we were choosing between Mukilteo (we didn't limit ourselves to Harbour Point, though...Goat Trail loop has nice homes with killer views, too) and Mill Creek. Both towns are very popular with Boeing employees, both have access to convenient shopping (though Mill Creek has more in the way of restaurants), both have good schools. I know you didn't ask about Mill Creek, but I would recommend it. It's where we chose.

Bothell and Woodinville are nice, too. Woodinville definitely has more of a country feel, large lots, septic systems. Bothell is going through a bit of a transformation right now in its old downtown, the part that is considered a little more desirable. It is a very spread out city with many parts actually unincorporated. Woodinville will soon begin some major development projects in its downtown and also in the Hollywood wine area, so traffic is going to get a little hairy.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:14 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,432,609 times
I'm in Woodinville (Hollywood Hill) and it's nice. It's pretty different from where I used to live in SoCal but I like it...large lots so neighbors aren't right up against your house, schools are good, etc.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
Woodinville would be great for the age of your family. My wife and I are in Cottage Lake and we've found most families in the area are a bit older than us: young kids rather than young couples just starting out. It's likely because there's pricy houses in some areas here so the concentration of people just starting out in life is relatively small.

We're a good 10 minutes from the town center so can't really help you there, but we love our neighborhood!

Old 02-12-2015, 11:05 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Mukilteo. It's gorgeous and the commute will be cake. The schools are good, too.
But what is the OP doesn't like cake? If somebody told me the commute would be "cake" I'd say " eww" and flee.
But of course I agree with you. Mukilteo is pretty. The schools are good. And the commute to Boeing Everett will be easy as pie.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But what is the OP doesn't like cake? If somebody told me the commute would be "cake" I'd say " eww" and flee.
But of course I agree with you. Mukilteo is pretty. The schools are good. And the commute to Boeing Everett will be easy as pie.
I'd definitely prefer a pie-based commute to a cake-based one. I'm with you Ira.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,094 times
I think MUK is a no-brainer, but it can be challenging when it comes to inventory. So, OP, I think any of these options are good ones and would give your husband a good commute in addition to other amenities. They are *very* different when it comes to neighborhood styles. Your pull to Harbour Point is what made me suggest Mill Creek, also, as those communities were built by the same builders. Although Mill Creek is in the Everett SD, which can be hit or miss, the Mill Creek schools are very good (including at least one elem. school that is one of the highest performing in the state).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area