Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,442 times

Advertisements

I live in Los Angeles, which means I have access to a huge talent pool and infrastructure if I want to shoot an indie film. Lots of highly trained yet unemployed (i.e., they work cheaply) actors and technicians. Lots of businesses serving the film biz (camera and prop rentals, studio space, etc.).

If I moved to Seattle, as I'm considering, what's the indie film scene like? Would I have a large pool of TRAINED actors and technicians to hire cheaply?

One Seattle filmmaker (shot one low-budget feature, and some shorts) told me that Vancouver, Canada drains a lot of talent and production dollars from Seattle. Companies that want to locate a story in Seattle, or anywhere in the Northwest, often shoot in Vancouver. And many talented people move up there for the work -- or come to L.A.

When I think Seattle, I think IT. I'm sure I can find great CGI workers in Seattle, but what about actors, cinematographers, and sound technicians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 PM

217 posts, read 411,448 times
my impression is no. There seems to be very little that actually films here. My SO is a producer, but hasn't filmed anything here yet. Just been kinda watching the scene. They just shot a feature in Armenia last month -didn't have a ton of luck with resources here, so pulled everything domestic from NYC. hopefully I'm wrong on this but that's been our impression so far

Old 11-02-2013, 07:14 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,035 times
There are definitely a lot of independent movie Theatres around, but I couldn't tell you that much about seattle based production.

Northwest Film Forum :: Cinemas

Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
Large pool maybe not, but there are actors and technicians around Seattle. There's an always expanding school, the Seattle Film Institute. And a lot of screenwriters. But it's not LA or Vancouver. Seattle Film Festival is still one of the best in the country. They have their own movie theatre. The industry was a larger scene when there were more state subsidies. But I'd say do it. LA gets old, doesn't it?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 PM

458 posts, read 957,946 times
I know this genre is a bit different, but our neighbor, a documentary filmmaker who left Brooklyn for a more affordable and greener place to raise his children, now finds himself back in NYC all the time because the resources just aren't here to get the movies finished! He is frustrated and surprised that Seattle doesn't have what he needs to get it done!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulseattlehomes View Post
I know this genre is a bit different, but our neighbor, a documentary filmmaker who left Brooklyn for a more affordable and greener place to raise his children, now finds himself back in NYC all the time because the resources just aren't here to get the movies finished! He is frustrated and surprised that Seattle doesn't have what he needs to get it done!
agreed. SO just returned from NYC yesterday for that exact reason. They're moving much of the post-production to LA so he does less cross-country flying. His opinion is that they don't shoot any of the book-based movies that are set here, in Seattle bc of the lack of an industry and people to hire. Everything goes to Vancouver

Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,442 times
I'm surprised Seattle doesn't have more of a film production scene. It does have some film schools, I know that.

But I'm also surprised that people would travel to New York or Los Angeles to get what they need. Wouldn't it make more sense to go to Vancouver, Canada?

I know it's another country, but I hear Canada is aggressive in attracting American film production dollars. Thus, I'd think it'd be easier (and perhaps cheaper) to go to Vancouver to spend money.

Probably not as easy if an American wanted to work in Canada, but easy if an American wanted to hire Canadians.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM

I can only speak for SO but he's from NY, we went to school there and his director is there. The post house is the same they've been using for a decade, their crew on this feature was pulled from prior shoots and school connections, etc. They plan to move post to LA for the next film, but for the past year it was just easier to not start from scratch. Hiring from Canada would have added another layer of complexity to a really tricky shoot in Armenia where they were already dealing with all the customs and permitting issues there.

in general I think that's why all "local" production ends up in Vancouver. 50 Shades of Grey will shoot there, Twilight was shot on the Island, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area