Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,744,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Isn't a bidet wasteful of water and energy? I assume that you don't just air dry? I've used leaves while backpacking; rocks have also been an option (yup - Leave No Trace). I prefer TP.
Nope. Nice try though.

Wipe or Wash? Do Bidets Save Forest and Water Resources?: Scientific American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 AM

30 posts, read 81,145 times
Since someone who brought up this topic, I'll have to say this. Me and my roommate has got into a big argument over this taking off the shoes ****. Ok see here's the thing...our smoking area is inside the garage, and I wear my shoes walking toward the garage to smoke, and he saw me with my shoes on and he was drunk. He was mad at me for wearing shoes inside the garage while I don't want to take off my shoes inside the garage as it was kinda disgusting. Then he made an awkward and rather racist comment: "I thought you Asian people always take off your shoes inside your house. You do it with your family too, right? Well same here.".

The above comment is just...****ed up.
1. Not all of us taking off the shoes.
2. Even if I take off the shoes, which I do for many parts as I want my feet to breath after all the walks in the shoes, I don't go bare feet inside garage. It's just disgusting.

I used to be comfortable with my shoes off, now...not so much after what happened with me and my roommate.

Last edited by chlee007; 10-31-2013 at 12:43 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 01:29 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,791,632 times
This whole thread has really brought back an old song I use to love back into my mind.. Maybe this can answer the OP's question:

Megadeth These Boots Original - YouTube

Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM

983 posts, read 1,047,443 times
Sure. If it's rainy/muddy out, people normally *volunteer* to take their shoes off, or to at least clean them off. Also, I now have something called "Shoe ins" (available from places like Plow and Hearth and Gardeners.com. They are like giant plastic (?) sandals that you pull over your shoes to keep from tracking mud in the house. But I wouldn't want to require people to take off their shoes. Let them do so voluntarily. And - not all people have mud on their shoes. It isn't necessarily a given, even in the rainy NW.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 AM

279 posts, read 477,889 times
Wow this conversation got a bit heated! lol. sorry! that wasn't my intentions. But it is kinda funny how people get upset over shoes vs. no shoes.

I personally don't like shoes in the house. You walk on the streets and your shoes pick up all sorts of stuff. I have kids that are always playing on the floors and I don't want them to get unnecessary bacteria on the hands. But that's me!

If guests come over I don't ask them to take the shoes off. But I do have a bunch of shoes at the front door showing that we leave our shoes off at this house. So most everyone gets the idea very clearly.

If I go to someones house and I see that they have shoes on... I don't say anything and leave my shoes on. If they are not wearing any shoes... I ask if they would prefer if I take my shoes off. it's usually that simple!

Now that I think about it. If we as people just "asked" questions we would probably have an easier time in life and not make others uncomfortable by not knowing what they expect or want.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 AM

279 posts, read 477,889 times
Now for my next post: "Pants on Pants off"..

haha.. just kidding!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM

983 posts, read 1,047,443 times
Mostly I get annoyed (not upset - that's a strong word!) when people put their *floors* of all things, ahead of their guests. To me, that's just wrong, especially when people don't normally track in mud anyway (and then there's a vacuum and/or a mop). If you don't eat directly on your floor, any stray pesticides/tar/bug poop aren't likely to impact you. You can't go through life sanitized from all that stuff. Wash your hands often

I have serious orthopedic problems. My mother didn't feel decent, I think, when she was barefoot. And since she wore nylons (even with pants), she didn't want to risk getting snags/runners in her stockings. Whatever. She was uncomfortable for personal (not medical) reasons being barefoot. My elderly relatives have problems walking and remaining upright; going barefoot wouldn't help with that, and could also be slippery (anyone for a broken hip on an 85 year old?).

I agree with you who have said - if you want to be shoes off in your own home, with your own family, that's great. But don't insist that people take off their shoes if they don't do so willingly.

My other stray observation is that someone earlier commented that shoes off homes tend to be neat freaks. I wonder if that's because people who are finicky about their floors are more likely to be finicky about other aspects of their homes. But do you really want to live in a hands off show room?

Last edited by Gabbythecat; 10-31-2013 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM

323 posts, read 445,998 times
Default Taking shoes off - a waste of effort

To me, no big deal if my floors get wet or dirty. I have remedies for that. I would never ask someone to remove their shoes unless there's major mud or some crap on them. Then I'd clean them and let them put them back on.

I've always lived in WA, and only one person has ever asked me to take my shoes off. He's a clean and neat freak. To the degree that he keeps towels on his car's floor mats and washes them after having a rider.

Growing up on a farm with cows, we did remove our manure covered rubber boots outside with a thing like this:

Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 PM

399 posts, read 714,841 times
What if your self conscious about taking off your shoes? Like shoe odor. Wet socks. If someone wanted to keep their shoes on than it would be ok with me. I had a couple bad experiences in the past. Once I took off my shoes and as I walked through the the kitchen area I stepped on a puddle of something..well the odor was not good. That was just one experience.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,744,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post

My other stray observation is that someone earlier commented that shoes off homes tend to be neat freaks. I wonder if that's because people who are finicky about their floors are more likely to be finicky about other aspects of their homes. But do you really want to live in a hands off show room?

And actually a lot of us are the opposite. We hate housework. We think vacuuming and mopping is really boring, which is why it's great that we don't have to do it often. Which is why the 2 seconds it takes to take your shoes off at the door is a really good investment for us.

You've already won: you don't have to take your shoes off when you go to people's houses. Why are you still being so judgey about this? Your hosts are being accommodating, yet you're still calling them horribly rude for even asking and judging them for being neat freaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area