Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 AM

74 posts, read 131,542 times

Advertisements

So this is your typical "Where can I live with my family of 4, within reasonable commute to Amazon" post The slight twist is that I'm nervous about the infamous "Seattle Freeze" and want to find an area with a bit more thaw. I work from home and I need social outlets! We are currently in Charlotte NC, and while NC is definitely not perfect, folks are definitely friendly. We live in a community with a lot of family activities, good schools, neighborhood pool etc. In Seattle, we want good schools (my daughter will be starting K, son is in preschool), lots of young social families, house with a yard (doesn't have to be huge, but must allow for 2 children and a dog and their outdoor play things). All within a 40 minute commute (bonus points if by public transportation) to Amazon and under 700K (3-4 bedrooms).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 09:06 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
I like the "40 minute commute" very interesting choice of number! The Seattle Freeze exists if you let it exist. -that would be the least of my worries. With your wishes, guessing most people will point you to the Eastside - but the public commute in 40 minutes wouldn't work.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 AM

415 posts, read 490,715 times
I'm moving to North Beacon Hill. I hear good things about the primary school there. Housing is affordable. Walk to the light rail... Be at work in 30 minutes.

By the time your kids get to high school, which I guess isn't bad now, it will probably be a whole different world.

Though for 600K you could get into an even posher neighborhood relatively close to work.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 AM

Ha, we're flexible on the commute- less than an hour..more willing to deal with a longer commute if he can sit on a bus. I'm worried because we're on the introverted side so I'm not going to start conversations with everyone I meet, have parties at my house, etc More established venues for meeting other families are more in my comfort zone. So if everyone keeps to themselves and we have to break into already established "cliques", I'm going to have a hard time. I know that is a gross over generalization, but here in Charlotte, there are neighborhoods with reputations for being very social and family oriented. Just want to know if these types of neighborhoods exist in the Seattle area and where they are. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 AM

Also- we have a choice in locations for this job. Seattle or Boston area. So we are researching and visiting both and trying to decide which is the best fit for us. (For the record, we both grew up in FL and have lived in NC for the past 10 years, so either location is going to be a BIG change!).

Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Wallingford, Queen Anne, Wedgwood, Ravenna, Bryant, Magnolia, Phinney Ridge. All fit the bill. Lots of families, strong supportive communities, easily in your commuting time requirement.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Check out Loyal Heights, Whittier Heights and Sunset Hill - those tend to be fairly family friendly

Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Cheers SF Kane, Welcome (almost to Seattle)!

As a born/raised Floridian, who has lived near Boston, with a brother in Boone, NC and 24 year resident of Seattle, perhaps my voice will resonate with you.

First, if you are looking for "neighborhoodiness", "connection" and proximity to Amazon, choose Seattle rather than the Eastside. My clients ask me what the good neighborhoods are: I can think of 20 great ones in Seattle. I am (living there) partial to the areas just north of town: Phinney Ridge, Green Lake, Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, Ravenna, Maple Leaf, Wedgwood. Your $700K budget will create options in these areas, not too big but a great home in a nice area that fits your needs.

And BTW, I like the people of Seattle better than those in Boston (find them snarly). Yeah, it might take a little work to get to know them (no NC lipsticky smiles and apple pies on the first day), but ultimately they are authentic, honest and ethical.

So this is your typical "Where can I live with my family of 4, within reasonable commute to Amazon" post The slight twist is that I'm nervous about the infamous "Seattle Freeze" and want to find an area with a bit more thaw. I work from home and I need social outlets! We are currently in Charlotte NC, and while NC is definitely not perfect, folks are definitely friendly. We live in a community with a lot of family activities, good schools, neighborhood pool etc. In Seattle, we want good schools (my daughter will be starting K, son is in preschool), lots of young social families, house with a yard (doesn't have to be huge, but must allow for 2 children and a dog and their outdoor play things). All within a 40 minute commute (bonus points if by public transportation) to Amazon and under 700K (3-4 bedrooms).

Last edited by homesinseattle; 12-10-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 01:36 PM

458 posts, read 958,302 times
I would echo above poster and also keep in mind that so much of your connection will come from your childrens school. My closest friends in Seattle are the ones I made at my childrens schools and being involved but not in an extreme way!

What will be immediately evident about Seattle vs. Boston is that Seattle is a much more laid back and relaxed town and the people are really easy going which I personally prefer! Neither will have the warmth and welcome of the south but there are plenty of southern transplants and you will find your people! Just give it time....also the breathtaking beauty of the PNW will do much for the soul and spirit! It is such a beautiful place to live!

Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Your toughest task at the moment might be finding a decent house - believe it or not your price range is very popular and houses go quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: