Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,302 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Asheville, North Carolina! I am single, 36 and just finishing my bachelor's degree in Psychology. I've been in North Carolina for 11 years now and am really feeling motivated to leave. Asheville has the perfect weather, in my opinion, and I know I'd be letting go of that in Seattle, but I also love to spend time outdoors and trek mountains, so Washington really appeals to me. I used to live on the ocean in Florida, some time before I ended up in NC, and I miss being so close to the water. I'm from Wisconsin originally, so I've had 21 years of cold, dark weather and I know how to keep myself busy and do like my solitude.

But I'm concerned about a couple things... so many people rap about the "freeze," and I keep having a hard time believing that a city with so many people should be stereotyped as having a certain personality. Everybody is different. Maybe the weather brings about the introversion. At any rate, I'd be moving to Seattle all alone with only two connections there that I don't know all that well. Also, I have extensive experience in hospitality work and my resume is impressive in that regard, but I am trying to figure out how to come out there with my cat and stay somewhere to find a job / then apartment search? Are there any services that offer temporary housing for say, 3 months or so?

I guess I'm seeking advice/words of wisdom on how to make it happen (of course I know I need to have a nice savings set aside) and as someone who is newly single and 36, I'm a little afraid of being alone out there. Any suggestions on legitimate groups to meet up with that do something that doesn't involve rounds and rounds of drinking? I'm also trying to move past that in my life ... A good portion of Asheville has a sort of "never never land" feel to it, and people spend a hefty amount of time getting very drunk here, without doing much else on top of it ... plus, this place is being extensively exploited... I crave a larger city with more options. I would love some feedback. Thanks for your time! MMK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 01:42 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,283 times
As somone who just enter through the same thing as you 4 months ago, including a cat, find yourself work BEFORE heading out here. I had to work my ass off to find an IT job that was will on guard to take a chance on a out of state and the UW welcomed me with open arms in the end bit it took a lot of work and job searching and applying online and failed phone interviews. My move wasn't as nearly as far away, but the basics are same for you.

Seeings how in need the medical field is and a shortage of workers vs IT, and if you experience backs up your claims, I see no reason why you couldn't land work before before coming out here. I did a phone and a Skype interview, that is the new way of doing business in this age.

Doing it that way vs moving AND finding work will be A HELLUVA a lot easier on your mind, stress and wallet. So sign up on the major job websites, make a profile on linked and buckle down for some serious resume and cover letter work. UW has a HUGE medical center, facilities and presence in this area, so look on website and start applying as it took 3 months to hear back from my application

Oh yeah, the Seattle freeze exists, I was gung ho just like you 4 months ago but the experience has been.... Sombering. Get ready to meet a lot flakes and fakes out here, make a profile on meetup.com and be prepared to make your skin thicker.

And it's not rain, it's a drizzle thst everyone pissez and moans about out here. Being from Montana, it don't bother me and you from Wisconsin, even less. Say by by to your long sunny days though, but no humidity and huge bugs either

Last edited by AT-AT28; 12-27-2013 at 01:50 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 07:01 AM

104 posts, read 196,931 times
I 2nd on the previous comment about the Freeze. It exists. Sure it's a city with many people but there is a general vibe here that permeates. It's that "nice" but on a very superficial level and it can be very difficult to break past that.

The weather here is really not as bad as it is made out to be. Heavy rain and thunderstorms are very rare. It's just constant light drizzle and if not, just overcast. Although lately I've noticed quite a few sunny days surprisingly for this time of year.

I would recommend finding a job before you move here. Otherwise if you have enough money saved up to live off of while you're searching for a job, then find an apartment, get a local address, and start throwing your resume everywhere.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:35 PM

17 posts, read 19,346 times
Hi there!

Hi there!

Hotels in Seattle area are always looking for good workers. What area do you have experience in? Operations or Sales?

You can start over again here. You would definitely have to join groups or find other transplants to get your friendships started. It just takes a little while to get to know people here.

Downtown Seattle is very expensive - so most of us commute.

If you love nature - this is the place. There are tons of things to do in and around the Seattle area.

I love that you have the gumption to make such a huge jump. Worst case scenario - you don't like it. You can always move again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: