Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,331 times

Advertisements

We have an English Bulldog that over the last year (shes 2years old right now) has been breaking out in a rash that she scratches at under her neck/throat area. She has also been gettting ear infection after ear infection. We have spent so much money taking her to the vet to only be told that she has "seasonal" allergies and that we need to give her benedryl. The vet will also prescribe her an antibiotic which seems to help, but never fully heals her issues. They have also prescribed her a medicated shampoo.

We have had her on expensive dog food of which we have now switched over to a "Raw food type diet." She has been on the new diet for the last 2 weeks and I am having a hard time telling if it is working.

Instead of going RAW I cook up Organic, Free Range Chicken Thighs, Boil organic, free range eggs with the shells and put organic carrots into my food processer so the carrots are all processed then mix everything together in the kitchen aid.

Please provide your experience and thoughts to help us out. Our vet seems as though they are only good to take our money and honestly, I can barely stand the smell our English Bulldog puts off from her skin/ears.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,372 times
Are you new to the area? Just wondering why this is in the Seattle section? Anyway, ear infections in dogs are much more common here than in other places; due to the constant moisture. I have known of several dogs that needed to be on a constant cleaning cycle, meaning as soon as they come in and each time, they get their special eardrops which dry the ear. Any vet should be able to prescribe this. I am more concerned that it sounds like your dog has been suffering and your vet doesn't see the problem? Repeat ear infections are very painful for some dogs and do require a vet visit. With proper medicine he should see improvement in 24 hours.

As for the food and body rash, I personally think that they are separate issue than the ears. It sounds like an allergy and specifically soy? is it possible that there is soy in his diet? many dogs are allergic to soy and it is very ubiquitous.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
Consider posting your questions on the "Pets" forum, you may get more help there. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:28 PM

17 posts, read 25,788 times
My french bulldog had skin issues...found out she was allergic to grains and now she eats grain free dog food...no more skin issues...as for the ears, same thing...our vet gave us an anti-fungal ointment and an ear wash..after 2 weeks of treatment no more ear issues...that being said these kind of issues are very common in these breeds....I really don't think it's seasonal and can be taken care of with the right kind of medication and diet.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:56 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,799 times
Have you gotten her allergy tested? It cost about $400-$600 but its worth it in the long run as much as you're taking her to the vet. I have an EBD that was having similar issues, we got her allergy tested, and now our vet office makes a special anitgen formulated just for her so I give her a shot every 3 weeks. We haven't had any allergy/skin issues since.

Look up Bulldog Club of America, they'll have a list of bulldog recommended vets in your city/state. We take ours to one and it really is a special breed that needs a vet that is experienced in dealing with them.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:36 PM

24 posts, read 129,666 times
I have had numerous problems like that with my dog too. Tried the benedril and prescription ear drops along with anything else recommended. What finally worked is called Dr Dogs Ear Oil, we use it regularly and the dog ear problem is finally under control - after YEARS of battling the ever present ear infections. Along with that, we give a tablespoon of unflavored yogurt into the daily food and this helps keep the internal yeast down. Maybe it's the solution you need too Good luck - you can find the ear treatment online from Amazon or drdogs247.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: