Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 04:52 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,240,877 times

Advertisements

Seattle doesn't really have "the beach" in the sense that Santa Monica or Asbury Park does. It's mostly rocky beaches or lake "beaches". Golden Gardens in Ballard is pretty fabulous, a combination of rocky and sandy, but it's too cold to swim, even in August( though people do it.) Buses go there, as well as Greenlake, and the popular Lake Washington beaches like Madison Park, Madrona, Mount Baker, etc.
Alki in West Seattle has the most beachlike feel. Buses go there too. Walking along the beach in West Seattle is fun. Magnificent views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:14 PM

5 posts, read 7,383 times
I'm excited at the prospect of multiple beach options. Not to worry, I wasn't picturing a Los Angeles-esque beach so rocky or lake beaches sound appealing. I like the idea of the beach for walking and water for the view.

We would want to live in the city itself. I imagine there are a lot of tech jobs downtown and in the central city neighborhoods so we'd most likely be working in one of those areas. The closer to work, the better. Ideally, we'd both work downtown and live close by. If we absolutely had to get a car, we could do it, but we'd rather spend our money on experiencing in the city.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,766,471 times
Quote:
We would want to live in the city itself. I imagine there are a lot of tech jobs downtown and in the central city neighborhoods so we'd most likely be working in one of those areas. The closer to work, the better. Ideally, we'd both work downtown and live close by. If we absolutely had to get a car, we could do it, but we'd rather spend our money on experiencing in the city.
Strongly consider not moving here til at least one of you has a job. Yes - hiring is strong, but so is the local talent base.

Also - many of the jobs are not downtown. Amazon is nearby, and there are some startups near Pioneer square, but as someone who also works in tech - I've always found far more employers on the eastside or north or south. Seattle doesn't have a traditional core where everyone drives into the city in the morning and out in the afternoon - employers are much more distributed here. As a result, you'll find very few reverse commutes. Traffic just plain sucks for everyone. Where you live may depend on where you find jobs, and that job is just as likely to be in Bellevue, Redmond or Kent as Seattle.

If you are set on a dense, urban neighborhood, and don't know where you're going to work - I'll make one recommendation, and that would be Cap Hill. It is central to practically the entire metro area. It's (really) not cheap, but it is uber-walkable, full of things to do, has great transit (2nd only to DT), and has that kind of density and proximity to DT, that you seem to be looking for. It's one of the few neighborhoods where it can be easier to live without a car than with one.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,795,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Strongly consider not moving here til at least one of you has a job. Yes - hiring is strong, but so is the local talent base.
So many people overlook that when coming to Seattle. There is a surplus of manpower, but not a surplus of jobs paying an adequate salary to cover the ever skyrocketing living costs. After doing some calculations and looking for a new place to live, I can say from looking around the Seattle area, including the Eastside, that the rents have risen on average $200-400/mo since I moved here a year and a half ago. Somehow, I do not believe the average salaries of jobs have gotten any higher to compensate for the increase in housing costs, which are a killer around here.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 PM

510 posts, read 606,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Also - many of the jobs are not downtown. Amazon is nearby, and there are some startups near Pioneer square, but as someone who also works in tech - I've always found far more employers on the eastside or north or south. Seattle doesn't have a traditional core where everyone drives into the city in the morning and out in the afternoon - employers are much more distributed here. As a result, you'll find very few reverse commutes. Traffic just plain sucks for everyone. Where you live may depend on where you find jobs, and that job is just as likely to be in Bellevue, Redmond or Kent as Seattle.
There are quite a few tech companies in (near) downtown. Google, Adobe, Tableau are all in Fremont. Large casual game companies Popcap and Bigfish are in Seattle. Amazon & Real Networks. All those real estate sites like zillow, redfin, and walkscore. Of course east side and other burbs have a lot too--I'd say the tech jobs are pretty well distributed throughout the area.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 PM

492 posts, read 1,037,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betweenthebars View Post
When you say housing is old, do you mean single family homes are old/not great location? I imagine there are condos all over though right? We'd be fine with a condo, but we'd like something in the 800-1000 sq ft range. ... I am aware of the overcast. Coming from a city with 300+ days of sunshine, this is really my biggest concern, but something I'd have to experience for myself.
I concur with Kayela. If you'll be working on the east side of Lake Washington you'll have a tough time without a car. To be carless you'd you want to focus on Seattle proper, and I agree that Capitol Hill is one of the best places for that. Get the jobs, then look for a place to buy, otherwise your commute could be nasty.

We don't have the super selection of condos at affordable prices that Denver has. A decent but small condo on Capitol Hill or the east side will be $300K+. I recommend browsing Trulia to see what you can stomach. Much of our close-in single-family housing below $500K is in disrepair. For example in Bellevue, $450K might be a 1950s house that needs $50K for updated plumbing and other repairs. With 2 tech jobs you'll still survive.

It's good to be concerned about the overcast. Over half of your daytime hours here would be spent in a dim gray light. This time of year you need typically lights on at noon.

You live in a beautiful state (my favorite, and yes because of the mountains)! You could live here for a few years to get it out of your system and then return to your land of low COL and sun.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:51 PM

238 posts, read 694,203 times
Have either of you looked into Portland? If Seattle attracts you, Portland may be up your alley also although I'm not sure about the tech employment there.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 PM

413 posts, read 786,407 times
Quote:
Boyfriend and I are planning to visit this summer.
That's great, but if I could provide one piece of advice, it would be not to move to Seattle before visiting for 5 days or so in December or January.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 AM

70 posts, read 123,667 times
I personally wouldn't move out to Seattle because of the urban culture. Seattle's a pretty decentralized city, "a city of neighborhoods", and it's not known for its nightlife. The food and drink scene is getting better, but still not great.

The tech sector is strong and prices in desirable neighborhoods prices reflect that. Much of Seattle's appeal is similar to Denver's - proximity to outdoor activities.

Just be advised that the snow (affectionately known as "Cascade concrete") isn't as nice for skiing as what you get in Colorado, and you're trading sunny days for three months of sun plus nine months of gray dreariness There's plenty of nice terrain though.

Like others have suggested, spend a couple weeks here during the winter/spring to see what it's really like.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 PM

710 posts, read 1,393,884 times
Quote:
Agree, many of the tech jobs are not downtown and even the ones that are are SUPER competitive. You can increase your chances of getting hired by applying to the outlying suburbs sometimes, as many seem to focus just on downtown for a job. Of course, nowadays, people are just looking for a job period.

I had the same dilemma between Seattle and Denver for my move from Houston - had friends in both cities, but Seattle won out as it had pretty much everything I could imagine wanting to do outside within a three hour radius and the temperature is more consistent with no big extremes.

I've been here almost two years and absolutely love it.

Housing is the biggest cost increase if you are going to buy, but honestly rents are pretty similar overall - just usually older places are more expensive here than they would be elsewhere. I feel the newer construction is just as outrageously expensive as in the cores of many other cities. Also, it's more expensive in the dt core, capitol hill, belltown, etc. I guess per sq ft it is more expensive overall. I have a small "one bedroom" (500 sq ft) on Queen Anne hill in an older (later 80's) building for $875 (incl. w/s/g and parking). I love it. Perfect location with great views nearby and walkable to dt core. Also have a bonus roof deck with view of the city, sound and mountains and is great for New Year's fireworks watching (although this year = fog!). For 800+ sq foot, you are probably looking at $1200 or more I'm guessing? Sometimes I do think about upgrading to a newer apartment as I can afford it, but really can't justify the extra cost and feel my current location just trumps the upgrade ha.

Otherwise everything is actually pretty similar in cost - some slightly more, some slightly less. However, biggest difference for me was actually electricity - it is SUPER cheap. I don't think my highest bill (usually Jan-Feb) has gone over $80 for two months and I keep it warm at about 72-74 degrees! It's usually $20-$30 for two months! It is weird not having central AC when you've been used to it, but it really doesn't get hot enough to use it most of the time and it's so nice to open the windows and get fresh air. Last year I bought a portable unit for my bedroom for those days it does get into the 90's and doesn't cool off enough before bedtime so I can sleep.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area