Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:22 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand the Union's logic. Who in their right mind would rather not work at all than get a different kind of retirement program? (401(k) vs pension)

The more I think about it, the more I think most modern unions suck. Workers should be free to work for whoever they want, for whatever they want, whenever and however they want.

Unions have gone from being about advancing worker's rights as they did in the old days to being about limiting worker's rights, which is what they're doing now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:38 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,426 times
I'll be glad to be in an A380, instead of a fire-trap, when I'm flying down Kamchatka next month.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:29 PM

634 posts, read 897,310 times
I've been a non-union machinist throughout my years in the trade and IAM workers do not realize how good they have it. The average starting wage is $10-15 per hour for non-union workers. In my last position I got $13 with a 2% increase after the first year; standard benefits of which I paid 25% of the premium, a 401K with no match, and certainly no bonuses. Lower and middle class skilled tradesmen are lucky to get bonuses in the hundreds, let alone 4 and 5 figures.

There are thousands of well-trained machinists such as myself that never apprenticed with a union, but we do work that is just as difficult, and even more so since our shops never have inflated payrolls, but operate as efficient as possible; we're trained as mechanics, technicians, operators, and material handlers. So do not believe for a second that Boeing won't be able to locate good workers with a compensation package far less than that of current IAM members; they will not have any problems I assure you; in addition to an established non-union pool, there are countless foreign born machinists arriving from Asia and Central/South America every day with a skill-set suitable for fabrication, which is the majority of Boeing production work.

Edit: The biggest surprise in all this was when my own brother, a union carpenter in Bremerton, told me that the IAM lost the support of his own union; it's not being spoken about publicly, but there is quite a bit of anger at the greed from these giant super unions such as the UAW and IAM, they are dragging other unions down with them and it's not appreciated.

Last edited by Garethe; 01-04-2014 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Text Added

Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
I understand why some wanted to keep the older style pensions but I think it is becoming increasingly difficult for companies to maintain those with people living longer lives. It just puts a much greater cost on pension plans than in the old days when a retired worker got a modest pension and died a few years after they retired.
I think the 51% majority did the right thing and I would have voted for it myself not because I am happy about it but because a job with lower benefits is better than a job someone else has 3000 miles away.
There is also the possibility of living to fight another day. Maybe some future contract can get a little bit better benefits in some other areas if the jobs stay here.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:10 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
I'm hearing rumors that there is a de-certification effort going on now. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Personally, Boeing played their hand masterfully. There's a LOT going on in the next ten years:

1) Launch, Design, Assembly, and flight test of 777X
2) Flight test & delivery of the 737MAX
3) Design and deliver the 787-10 (made in Charleston most likely)
4) Launch a New Airplane Program that will likely be in detailed design phases by 2024

Meanwhile, the company played the management game masterfully too. In an era when companies are global and unions remain Local, the unions will ALWAYS lose.

Another thing I noticed is: some of those union losers really think they're God's gift to aerospace. Give me a f------ break. They're high school educated with some training. Almost anyone could do their job given the time.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM

30 posts, read 61,345 times
Where is Boeing building the new 777X? In Everett? Does this mean Everett real estate and surrounding area such as Mill Creek, Bothell are going up?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:54 PM

30 posts, read 61,345 times
Any idea how much the union members have to pay their union in terms of membership dues?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
I'll be glad to be in an A380, instead of a fire-trap, when I'm flying down Kamchatka next month.
Wow look at this guy, hes going to Kamchatka. What a life. We all wish we were you.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuscher View Post
Where is Boeing building the new 777X? In Everett? Does this mean Everett real estate and surrounding area such as Mill Creek, Bothell are going up?
Well, they're certainly not going down now.

I see MC at least being steady. Bothell prices are going to up anyway, because the time, location and everything that it offers (like great schools, revitalizing/rebuilding DT core, water access) is situated just right. It's going to boom if it hasn't already.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:29 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
You obviously don't know much about that aircraft. I'll be flying on one in a few months and I'm a bit nervous considering what I know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area