Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 03:54 PM

33 posts, read 51,219 times

Advertisements

Hi I was wondering if there are any companies in Seattle that will fly someone in for a interview? Provide relocation cost if possible and any temp agencies that will let you work to earn income til can find permanent job position? I currently live in Kentucky and I have a bacholer's degree in Communications Marketing and I'm looking for a job in a marketing firm as a account manager or anything. Just as long as I can pay rent, food and car and other expensives. Any info will be helpful thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 04:41 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,191,446 times
Seattle isn't going to be a great fit, I know there is a stereotype that this is a tech town and some will say there are plenty of jobs in various fields, but the stereotype is true and it REALLY is a tech town. Even the average salary for CPAs is lower here than many other parts of the country, places where cost of living is substantially lower (Denver, Minneapolis, Phoenix for example), but if you're a computer engineer you can do well. Still, there is a ton of competition and the job market truly isn't as good as the Seattle Defense Squad zealots say, I know many people in the tech industry who work as "contractors" with zero benefits, low pay, and horrible hours (not to mention the stress of possibly being let go at any moment). It's pricey to live here, and it's really not a great town for recent grads, although I can't imagine it being worse than a lot of other places for them either.

I'd just check the usuals, ineed, monster, craigslist, etc. I think the only way a company would fly you in for an interview would be if you had some skill that was highly in demand or excellent credentials. Of course it helps to know someone also. If you want to get into an account manager position, check accounttemps.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:45 PM

337 posts, read 493,602 times
Big companies such as Microsoft (and probably Amazon?) offer re-location and will fly you over to Seattle for interviews, however in my experience those companies are seeking skills which are in demand (such as programming skills) OR people that have master's degrees and lots of management experience or proven skills in marketing. Not saying you can't find interest for your skill set from one of those companies, however unless you have a graduate degree that probably isn't going to happen. If you had majored in computer science then that might be a different story.

I'm a tech person, I'm never without work and I'm also a contractor. I have benefits and get vacation, it just really depends on the agency you work for, they are all different. Oh, and I work normal hours because most companies don't want to pay the overtime, by contrast in my experience full-time employees end up working the horrible hours. At the end of the day, you get to leave while the FTE's are left holding the ball. A lot of full-timers end up going the contract route after a while in my experience. I've been on both sides of the fence, can't say which one I prefer over the other however contractors don't usually have mandatory corporate meetings and crazy performance reviews. I've been re-org'd and ended up with managers I didn't like after corporate re-shuffling and in one case my team was shown the door after a re-org so there went my supposedly more secure full-time job.

It's a myth, there is no such thing as security just because you have a full-time job.

Contracting is a good way to get experience in the market here, however my experience is that agencies won't really give you the time of day until you actually move here. A way around that is to put a Seattle address on your resume, if you know someone here then i'd use their address.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:42 AM

24 posts, read 33,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
Big companies such as Microsoft (and probably Amazon?) offer re-location and will fly you over to Seattle for interviews, however in my experience those companies are seeking skills which are in demand (such as programming skills) OR people that have master's degrees and lots of management experience or proven skills in marketing. Not saying you can't find interest for your skill set from one of those companies, however unless you have a graduate degree that probably isn't going to happen. If you had majored in computer science then that might be a different story.

I'm a tech person, I'm never without work and I'm also a contractor. I have benefits and get vacation, it just really depends on the agency you work for, they are all different. Oh, and I work normal hours because most companies don't want to pay the overtime, by contrast in my experience full-time employees end up working the horrible hours. At the end of the day, you get to leave while the FTE's are left holding the ball. A lot of full-timers end up going the contract route after a while in my experience. I've been on both sides of the fence, can't say which one I prefer over the other however contractors don't usually have mandatory corporate meetings and crazy performance reviews. I've been re-org'd and ended up with managers I didn't like after corporate re-shuffling and in one case my team was shown the door after a re-org so there went my supposedly more secure full-time job.

It's a myth, there is no such thing as security just because you have a full-time job.

Contracting is a good way to get experience in the market here, however my experience is that agencies won't really give you the time of day until you actually move here. A way around that is to put a Seattle address on your resume, if you know someone here then i'd use their address.
Very true. Take the defense sector for example, many people used to think it's solid as a rock, only downside was everything's seniority-based rather than merit-based, not true anymore, and when things start going down hill, defense companies fall harder than everyone else with their typical good ol' boy system and ultra top-heavy management dead weight.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 PM

644 posts, read 1,184,820 times
I'm a recent college graduate currently job hunting in Seattle. I'd say that the job market for non-computer science graduates is very weak here. The tech sector is very strong, and that does spill over into jobs that don't require programming knowledge, but there are several other cities in the US with much better job availability for someone with a business degree. The only reason you should be considering Seattle is if you want an okay job market and are attracted to the city for some other reason, like friends and family, outdoor activities, etc. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and stick with NYC, SF, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, and Houston. Those areas all have robust and diverse job markets that fit better with your skills.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 PM

337 posts, read 493,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
The tech sector is very strong, and that does spill over into jobs that don't require programming knowledge
I think this is definitely true. There is always a need for program/project managers. Some of these positions require some IT or programming knowledge while others allow you to learn as you go on the job. If you have any interest in programming at all and want to spend just a little time getting familiar with it then there are very good opportunities in program management. Data analysis is also a huge field very much in demand and that is more closely-related to business in most cases. I have plenty of friends who are not in the IT field and they do just fine around Microsoft and Amazon. At the end of the day, this is a big city so there are jobs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area