Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
You sound bitter. The Seahawks are great for the people of the region. Brings out civic pride in the community, brings happiness to millions. The fact that it made you late to work doesn't matter. You're a self described nerd who doesn't like sports, OK why should we care? I played football for 9 years growing up helping my team go to the wiaa semis. I love football and the Seahawks, been a season ticket holder since I was little. That crowd today though inconvient made me proud of my team and the region, it showed me how great this city is as the city for rallying around them through thick and thin.

Actually, it is the opposite: where were those crowds when the Seahawks didn't win? If they were all about "civic pride", why didn't they come out then?

More people were at this stupid parade than were at Kurt Cobain's funeral...A LOT MORE.

What was more important for Seattle: the Seahawks or Cobain? Which will be remembered for longer and which did more to put Seattle on the map?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
Couldn't get past the first few lines of your lame rant. To let something so stupid bother you says more about you than the bandwagon jumpers.

And of course you're not the only one DOESN'T give a %^$# about the Seahawks. Self important, needlessly dramatic thread title.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm not a football fan, either, but there are an awful lot of happy campers around the Pacific Northwest right now and I'm happy for them. I'm about 120 miles from Seattle and today I went to a small town to the east of me to run an errand and I can't tell you the number of Seahawks sweatshirts I saw, as well as the flags on the cars.
Yes, they're happy...Austria was also happy when Hitler rolled in.

As a general rule, whenever the unwashed mobs are happy and dancing in the streets, it's usually nothing worth celebrating.

I have in my life rarely seen anything as depressing as large mobs of people all happy together.

Quote:
Rather than be annoyed, to be honest, it made me happy to see other people have something to be so excited about. I actually found it to be a little contagious.
I must be immune to that contagion. It was a walking argument for Eugenics on display.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,597 times
the only reason it was more annoying than it should have been is that they picked the wrong city to do it. Yes, I know they are the "Seattle" Seahawks. Pick a different part than downtown. Pick Ballard. Or Capitol Hill. Or anywhere else. Not the worst designed, least efficient part of the city.

As seen with the president's motorcade where it jacked up traffic for hours, the same thing happened here. Plus, since some of these nuts have no clue how to drive in the first place, there were tons of accidents all over the place both in the morning and in the evening.

Frankly, I'm not sure why such events are not done on Saturday, when most people don't need to work. But remember OP, to the majority of people in Western Washington, focusing on work isn't a priority. It's weed, then Seahawks, then protesting whatever (i. e. Proper freeway construction), THEN maybe work, begrudgingly.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,782 times

Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Actually, it is the opposite: where were those crowds when the Seahawks didn't win? If they were all about "civic pride", why didn't they come out then?

More people were at this stupid parade than were at Kurt Cobain's funeral...A LOT MORE.

What was more important for Seattle: the Seahawks or Cobain? Which will be remembered for longer and which did more to put Seattle on the map?
Are you for real?

Quote:
Yes, they're happy...Austria was also happy when Hitler rolled in.

As a general rule, whenever the unwashed mobs are happy and dancing in the streets, it's usually nothing worth celebrating.
Are you really equating a parade to celebrate a sports victory to Hitler? Seriously?

Quote:
I have in my life rarely seen anything as depressing as large mobs of people all happy together.
Then you must really be one miserable s.o.b.
Quote:
I must be immune to that contagion. It was a walking argument for Eugenics on display.
You must be a real joy to be around.

Ok - I'm done.

I never utilize the "ignore" feature, but I will most certainly avoid any future posts by you - like the plague. Life is too short and too precious to waste it by reading your posts..

Have a nice life.

455 posts, read 771,454 times
Quote:
today, i had the pleasure of leaving for work an hour early, only to still be late after walking from the space needle all the way to spring street. And why? Because a few hundred thousand mindless lemmings on the band wagon had to stand out in the blistering cold to cheer on as the local crew of overpaid steroid addicts who probably beat their wives drove past, making it impossible for me to get to my job without walking all the way around.

Really people, what baring does any of this have on your day to day lives? Answer: None!

So a bunch of fat guys in tight pants, none of whom give a damn whether you live or die, managed to defeat another group of fat guys in tight pants. How is that going to effect you in anyway? Why don't you just admit it: Sports are just another form of entertainment. Simple as that. Why make such a massive deal out of entertainment?

And do you really think that all these people actually watch football on a regular basis? No way! 80% of them had to be just drones jumping on the bandwagon.

I can respect people who like football, but the band wagon idiots? I have nothing but contempt for those poor excuses for humans and would have very little objection to seeing them sterilized so that they can't pass their mindless follower genes onto the next generation.

Really, would you watch the season finale of a show you never watch all season? Probably not. But so many people watch to superbowl. If a show you never watched had a series finale and the cast had a parade, would you stand there in the cold, dragging your kids to see it too? Probably not.

But replace "show" with "football" and there you have the buffoonery i was forced to witness today.

I may well be one of the few heterosexual men who have no real interest in sports. Sorry, but the idea of watching sweaty men playing with balls just doesn't appeal to me. There are so many more things i could invest my time in than following the career of a jock, whom, i might add, where the exact kind of people i hated growing up.

Let me put it this way: What if they made a "call of cthulhu" movie and filmed a part of it in seattle. What if you couldn't walk ten feet in any direction for a month without hearing "dagon" this and "azathoth" that and "necronomicon" and blah blah? What if in celebration of the film being released, everyone hit the streets, blocking traffic and making it hard for you to get to work and making a huge mess, and everyone was screaming "cthulhu fhtagn!" and dressing up like cultists, and you knew that 80% of them weren't even fans of h.p lovecraft before the movie came out?

Could you imagine, being surrounded by people so obsessed with something you never did care for (assuming you aren't lovecraft nerds) screaming at the top of their idiot lungs about something you don't know about and don't care about and that was all everyone was talking about?

Welcome to the world of someone in seattle who doesn't give a damn about football.

Just happy it's over and hopefully next year some other team will do more steroids and beat them earlier to this doesn't happen again.

Yawn....worthless post and I don't buy into any of it. I really cannot imagine anyone would waste another second on you after reading that complete and utter rambling nonsense. BTW - GO SEAHAWKS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Frankly, I'm not sure why such events are not done on Saturday, when most people don't need to work. But remember OP, to the majority of people in Western Washington, focusing on work isn't a priority. It's weed, then Seahawks, then protesting whatever (i. e. Proper freeway construction), THEN maybe work, begrudgingly.
EXACTLY!

Why not just do it on Saturday? I mean the whether would have been nicer and kids wouldn't have had to skip school and less people work on Saturdays.

People make fun of all the nerdy crap that goes on in Seattle (Sakura-Con, PAX, Comic Con etc) but at least they do that stuff on Fridays through Sundays, not in the MIDDLE OF THE WEEK like they do for the football nerds (and yes, dressing as your favorite American football player is just as nerdy as me dressing like a Klingon. At least I'm willing to admit I'm a nerd)

And Seattle has the work ethic of a sloth on opium, I agree.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
But sports nerds never call out fake fans so they feel welcome.
It's just something to do. A hobby. An interest. Something to talk about. A common bond.

Fans want to experience a championship. The Seahawks had never won a championship before.

Yes, some bandwagon fans can be annoying. Where are all the Mariners fans from the late 90's/early 2000s? Don't tell me they're going to games. But, when they win again, they'll return, because simply, the fans don't want to watch, or pay to see, a shoddy product.

The Seahawks are shining right now, so people are throwing their money and fandom at them. When Russell Wilson leaves to go play baseball, and Richard Sherman leaves to go run for office, the Seahawks will return to being less relevant than they were today.

I'm certain most Seahawks fans (even the dreaded bandwagon jumpers) you saw today have followed the team to some extent throughout their lives, or at least for a long period. Or even if they're new, it doesn't matter. A playoff race and eventual (or hoped for) championship is a very fun thing to participate in.

My wife jumped on a baseball bandwagon in 2007 (wasn't a fan of it before), and has been a diehard for the team ever since. I love it, the interest in it we can share together.

That's what sports is all about. It brings people together.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,075 times
I just ignore it, man. I've simply distanced myself from it all. The level of bandwagoning is unreal. I consider myself a casual fan of the sport, and no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, I do like talking about the X's and the o's, the history of the game, how teams match up, etc... and, talking to a lot of these Hawks "fans" is like talking to a brick wall with conversations like "Yayyyy, go Hawks, we are the best, yayyy". Seattle is a VERY different sports city than say, Chicago, or NYC, or Boston, or Philly where fans are engaged in the SPORT and not the sole pleasure "fitting in" with a big group of like minded sheepies. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just isnt the aspect of sports that I'm personally drawn to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area