Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times

Advertisements

Admittedly, I only looked at the username before replying - then read the profile and realized how that comment wasnt' quite right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I know this is going to be taken the wrong way, so I'm not even going to say "don't take this the wrong way":

So Seattleites, what's with the "how about anywhere but here?" recommendations many of you have been giving lately?

Is it the OP's, or are we profiling because they don't fit a mold?
And I know this is going to be taken the wrong way, so I'm not even going to say "don't take this the wrong way" either... but Dave, my friend, it took me 27 freaking years to get out of TEXAS and away from all that fire and brimstone hogwash that was lambasted by all the patronizing, condescending, patriarchal religious zealot organizations that more than permeates our southern states and I just simply don't want those cultural characteristics to find their way up here. I love living in a community that celebrates Chinese New Year and Diwali and Chanukah and Earth Day and World Naked Bike Rides. So am I profiling??? Guilty. Or should I forget the time I went with my friend to visit her dad (who my parents had never met) in Norman, OK for a week when I was 14 and was given nightly "sermons" featuring graphic pictures of aborted fetuses, affirmations of a "virtuous" woman and the glaring disapproval of Jews (my parents still don't know... it was too humiliating to tell them, especially my Jewish father...).... or being 15 and at marching band practice and having another player tell me flat out I'm going to straight to hell with blood on my hands because I thought science and evolution was really cool. If I learned to profile people, it's probably because I grew up in the South.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
And I know this is going to be taken the wrong way, so I'm not even going to say "don't take this the wrong way" either... but Dave, my friend, it took me 27 freaking years to get out of TEXAS and away from all that fire and brimstone hogwash that was lambasted by all the patronizing, condescending, patriarchal religious zealot organizations that more than permeates our southern states and I just simply don't want those cultural characteristics to find their way up here. I love living in a community that celebrates Chinese New Year and Diwali and Chanukah and Earth Day and World Naked Bike Rides. So am I profiling??? Guilty. Or should I forget the time I went with my friend to visit her dad (who my parents had never met) in Norman, OK for a week when I was 14 and was given nightly "sermons" featuring graphic pictures of aborted fetuses, affirmations of a "virtuous" woman and the glaring disapproval of Jews (my parents still don't know... it was too humiliating to tell them, especially my Jewish father...).... or being 15 and at marching band practice and having another player tell me flat out I'm going to straight to hell with blood on my hands because I thought science and evolution was really cool. If I learned to profile people, it's probably because I grew up in the South.
Awesome post. And not taken the wrong way at all.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:07 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times
Quote:
I'm going to straight to hell with blood on my hands because I thought science and evolution was really cool. If I learned to profile people, it's probably because I grew up in the South.
Your profiling is off. Many Christians think "science and evolution was really cool."

I, for one, think that evolution CONFIRMS the Bible. The Bible's creation story parallels current evolutionary theory -- that life first evolved in the waters, and only later made its way onto land. And that plants evolved before animals, and animals before before humans.

As best I know, the Bible's creation story is the ONLY ONE that so closely parallels evolutionary science. No pagan mythology does so. That may frustrate atheists -- that the Bible teaches what no ancient writer could possibly have known without divine revelation -- but it is so.

Yes, fundamentalist Christians think the Bible contradicts evolution. So do ultra-Orthodox Jews (I've met them). And, I'm sure, so do some fundamentalist Muslims.

But nowhere in the Bible does it say the Earth is only a few thousand years old. That's one interpretation of certain passages. The Bible can as easily be interpreted to read that the Earth is billions of years old.

I think that many atheists LOVE Christian fundamentalists, because, though they comprise only a small minority of world Christendom (despite their vocal presence on American TV), they reflect an atheist's caricature of Christianity.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Your profiling is off. Many Christians think "science and evolution was really cool."
Yes, there are over 41,000 denominations of Christianity out there.. it's an extremely diverse faith and as a result, it's virtually impossible that I wouldn't incorrectly profile many, if not most.
Quote:
I, for one, think that evolution CONFIRMS the Bible. The Bible's creation story parallels current evolutionary theory -- that life first evolved in the waters, and only later made its way onto land. And that plants evolved before animals, and animals before before humans.

As best I know, the Bible's creation story is the ONLY ONE that so closely parallels evolutionary science. No pagan mythology does so. That may frustrate atheists -- that the Bible teaches what no ancient writer could possibly have known without divine revelation -- but it is so.

Yes, fundamentalist Christians think the Bible contradicts evolution. So do ultra-Orthodox Jews (I've met them). And, I'm sure, so do some fundamentalist Muslims.

But nowhere in the Bible does it say the Earth is only a few thousand years old. That's one interpretation of certain passages. The Bible can as easily be interpreted to read that the Earth is billions of years old.

I think that many atheists LOVE Christian fundamentalists, because, though they comprise only a small minority of world Christendom (despite their vocal presence on American TV), they reflect an atheist's caricature of Christianity.
The direction you are taking the conversation really isn't appropriate for this thread (might I suggest another city-data forum?). David simply asked if we were profiling based on someone not fitting the normative cultural characteristics most reflective of this region. And the answer is "Yes". Just for the sake of clarity I offered an explanation as to why I would engage in such a disdainful behavior.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:53 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times
Quote:
The direction you are taking the conversation really isn't appropriate for this thread ... Just for the sake of clarity I offered an explanation as to why I would engage in such a disdainful behavior.
No, you already took this conversation in, what you now say, was as inappropriate direction. I merely responded.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
No, you already took this conversation in, what you now say, was as inappropriate direction. I merely responded.
I pushed it for sure... but I actually didn't tell you the faith of creepy dad... nor did I mention, by name, the kinds of religious zealot organizations. And that was totally intentional.. why? Because throughout my life I've been, at one time or another, a regular member of many congregations... specifically Methodist, non-denomination, and Unitarian.More so, I've gifted my musical talents to an even broader selection of organizations (especially the Southern Baptist, but only because my music teachers were members of the congregation) since my parents didn't require me to attend one institution over another... I could choose freely, or not choose at all. So no, in case you had profiled me, I'm not an atheist: I'm just a liberal. I think the point you're missing is that I don't like extremism, I don't like religious and cultural limitation. Religion is a component of culture and there are a LOT of cultural characteristics that you don't see up here as much as you do down there. As a woman, I enjoy freedom of choice and intellectual and economic empowerment... (ain't nobody here calling me "little lady" for example... and I don't care how enduring it was meant... I'm really not little in stature or character). I enjoy living in an environment where the overriding conversation is not as suspicious or divisive. In the South, gez.. it was always the Iraqis were out to get us.. the Iranians... the Cubans (LOL), North Koreans... all the illegal Mexicans were ruining the economy (nope, just your corrupted corporate CEO's) and if you were a liberal?.. well, there ain't anything less American than being a liberal.

I finally arrived at a state and region where I feel totally "free to be me" and I'm protective of it. I don't want people to come up here and bring all that insidious cultural baggage that I tried to leave (on the other side of Snoqualmie Pass).

Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 AM

312 posts, read 732,694 times
I understand what everyone is saying....I think that going from Oklahoma to Seattle is definitely going to be a shock...no matter what....heck moving from Pennsylvania to South Carolina blew my freaking mind 10 years ago....my hubby tried to tell me about how the south still is but I wouldn't listen to him..... Anyway, my thoughts are just this.....You really really really have to visit somewhere before making the commitment to move there permanently......my hubby is there now interviewing..... whew....I am nervous....wish him luck all!!!!!!!! We did our research and decided that Seattle "fits" us and that is what makes the world go 'round......but it just may be a hard fit for you gmoney...I am just saying....maybe a city in the Midwest may be more suitable...just sayin....at least you will be going in the right direction! Best of luck.....

Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM

96 posts, read 135,979 times
I have lived in King County and can say Seattle is a beautiful city, though you will run into quite a few stereotypical people...as Mkcarch just demonstrated.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:45 PM

11 posts, read 26,465 times
Everyone thank you so much for your input. I see this thread might have ruffled some feathers which wasnt my intentions at all. Maybe I could have been a bit more creative with my name. Maybe I could have asked questions another way or just simply asked about Seattle with nothing further to say. I have researched alot about Seattle but had no idea just how different it may be especially for a Single African American man like myself. I will continue to evaluate and of course I plan on visiting multiple times before I give myself the green light to make plans to move. Again thank you everyone for your input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area