Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,998,610 times

Advertisements

We are looking at retirement in the Seattle area. We've been there before and have relatives living in the area. However we don't know anyone who has lived on the shoreline or an island.

What are the things we should be aware of if we are interested in buying a home right on the water?

Just to give an example of where we live now, in Denver, many people moving here see pretty pictures and want to live in the trees/foothills/mountains where homes can be cheaper. What they often don't know is that we get alot of wildfires in any area with natural trees (recent pine beetle infestations have left a lot of dry fuel), you can't get high speed internet access in many rural properties, and you can be stranded at your property due to winter storms. The majority last a couple of years and then move back down to the flat lands.

I'm on-line seeing these gorgeous water front properties for not much money, with lower property tax and wondering what things I should take into consideration. Please enlighten me.

We also have a decommissioned nuclear weapons plant that is heavily kept under wraps right in the metro area. In fact many people know nothing about it but there was alot of contamination, spills, fires etc which contaminated the area. They are putting new housing and a beltway right on the contaminated land. Many locals and new comers know nothing about it until those of us on city-data let them know it is something to look at. I would appreciate a heads up of things of this nature in the Seattle metro area and which towns/neighborhoods are affected. If you don't want to post it on-line please send me a direct message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 PM

8,154 posts, read 8,198,114 times
Hi Mic, We do indeed have some lovely spots on the water, quite reasonably priced compared to some parts of the country. Tell me the areas you are looking and I can help answer a bit better. For starters, it is a good idea that you not buy a place beneath a bluff as we do have infrequent landslides in this area. Western Washington doesn't really have an issue with fires, most of the places you might be looking wouldn't be affected by any superfund sites. Common sense would tell you the farther you get from the Seattle core, the more affordable it would be. Sometimes spending a bit more money is worth it for location, aesthetics.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:36 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,228,180 times
It does depend on what kind of water. Riverfront property can flood. Even some properties in West Seattle on Beach Drive flooded last year. A friend of mine lives there and they had to pump out their basement, so maybe if you get a place on the water don't get a basement? Like homesinseattle said, below a bluff can have problems, as we get mudslides.
So...if you're going to buy riverfront, make sure the house is higher than the river. And if the place is on the sound or the ocean, don't have a basement. Lakefront, I'm not aware of problems.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 PM

Agreed IRA, good point. Riverfront places often necessitate carrying pricey flood insurance policies as well. I just don't think they are worth the risk or the expense.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:47 PM

Thanks homesinseattle and Ira500.

Were still casting a wide net so please don't put too much weight on these areas. We are skating around on zillow, clicking on water front properties, and oohing and ahhing over the views. It seems we can afford just north of the city in the Edmonds area and south of the city in the Tacoma area. I'm also open to living across the way on the islands or further north and south, we just don't know what we don't know, hence the question.

We put the following criteria to relatives:
1) Larger lot, at least a half acre, acre preferred.
2) Able to hike from the house without driving for daily dog walks
- prefer an area/town that enforces the dog leash law
3) Proximity to natural food market like PCC and restaurants that provide gluten free meals
4) Reasonable property taxes on $400-$500K home. (around $4K-$5K per year, not $12K per year)

The areas suggested to us so far are:
Issaquah
Sammamish
Fall City

No on-water areas came up but I think that is because they aren't that familiar with them so I thought I'd ask here to educate myself about whether I should be considering the water front properties.

We walk at least 3 miles a day with our dogs, on-leash, so trail proximity is really important.

Since I have to eat gluten free I've been trying to find out the best resources out there and the PCC market came up on the radar so access to that may be a consideration. However the mainstream grocery stores out here have gotten to where they provide pretty much all the gluten free things you need. When we are next out there I will be visiting the chains to see what the situation is.

Home price is in interesting question. I would like to downsize into a smaller home, something in the 1700 sqr ft range with no stairs. Were seeing homes we like in the $250K and up range so were not set on buying something big and fancy. I prefer to spend extra $s on getting a better location.

Really appreciate the advice on riverfront and bluff homes. That is good information to know.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 PM

$250K doesn't get you much out here, if you could stretch to $350K you might do better. Some areas that have a good vibe, proximity to health food stores and some room to stretch out: North Edmonds, Burien, perhaps Snoqualmie. The trick is to get far enough away from the urban core (hence more affordable) without getting too far. There certainly are reasonable prices on the other side of the ferry, places like Port Orchard. Please message me if I can help with any detailed questions.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,118,318 times
There are great homes with a half acre or more on lakes in the areas you mentioned, such as Ames Lake in Redmond, Beaver and Pine Lakes in Sammamish. The problem is the cost, they will be over 1 million on the water. You might find something for $700,000 with a lake view and withing walking distance, but the combination of acreage and water runs it up even on older, smaller homes. We are not on the water and on our house valued at about $600k the taxes are about $5,500, so it does sound lower than your rates. For your price I would consider Gig Harbor, Port Townsend, Bremerton, Seabeck, Silverdale, Poulsbo and Port Orchard.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
$250K doesn't get you much out here, if you could stretch to $350K you might do better. Some areas that have a good vibe, proximity to health food stores and some room to stretch out: North Edmonds, Burien, perhaps Snoqualmie. The trick is to get far enough away from the urban core (hence more affordable) without getting too far. There certainly are reasonable prices on the other side of the ferry, places like Port Orchard. Please message me if I can help with any detailed questions.
Thanks! Were thinking of spending $400-$500K. We could go to $600K but I don't think that is necessary for what we want. I gave the $250K example to say were not set on a fancy home but rather focused more on the location.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 PM

I think the lot size in Edmonds, combined with access to Puget Sound and ferries, excellent health food store (PCC), fun, vibrant and cultured town core and good access to all that is good about Seattle, might be a good fit for you. $500K would get you something I think that would make you very happy. Maybe I'm projecting, I like those things too, and am gluten free . http://www.ci.edmonds.wa.us/

If you are open to island living, you may want to take a look at Vashon Island, only a 15 minute ferry ride from West Seattle, very health food and organic conscious, reasonable home prices, beautiful and peaceful, almost a throwback to a different time. The lots could be decent sized there, too. Here are a couple links you may like: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/tr...back.html?_r=0,

Other places that come to mind are South Whidbey Island, Mukilteo, Gig Harbor, perhaps West Seattle and Burien.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 02-25-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

homesin Seattle, would love to hear your opinion on which mainstream stores have the best gluten free selection or if any of them are far enough along that they can be your only grocery store. That will open up our areas quite a bit. So far I've been using the PCC store locator function and concentrating on those area.

In terms of island living that does appear to be where the deals are right on the water. I've been to Vashon (big fan of Betty MacDonald's books) and it is so pretty. The thing I was worried about with the islands was the gluten free restaurant availability. Do you know if any of the islands has more options?

We are not so much into the quaint downtown or access to the city. We'd much rather have hiking (with some elevation gain) from our door step. Does that change your recommendations or bring an area to mind?

Last edited by mic111; 02-25-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area