Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 AM

719 posts, read 986,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
It needs to be nipped in the bud. Ours is a diverse area, but we totally lack African-Americans and the result IS racism.
???

Quick! Quick! Let's import some black people! That will end racism!

Quote:
Sadly I am starting to see it in BOTH my kids, especially the 7 year old. He likes to be a bit of a show off and when he's got a crowd he'll try to talk "rap".
"Talk rap?" What the hell does that even mean? Not to mention the fact that the boy is seven years old -- I doubt he even appreciates that what he's doing is offensive (but I don't doubt for a second that he's picking up on the fact that it makes you angry. More ammunition for later!).

Quote:
Before I would tell him to stop just because he's not black and it annoys the heck out of me (I was a white minority in a black majority high school), but then I thought about it some more and I was like, "whoa... this is offensive.. you HAVE to stop".
Translation: black people talk a certain 'way,' but if white folks do it, that's racist. Hoo boy. Now, if you can't see the problem with that sentiment, I don't think there's any helping the matter.

Quote:
It's frustrating because it's not coming from my home. It IS coming from one of their friends (who I really do adore otherwise) who's parents (with less education than us) allow him to watch all sorts of junky movies (like Jackass) and the full range of violent video games.
This part actually made me laugh out loud. "Movies and video games are turning my kid racist!" Aside from the obvious fact that unless you're planning on locking your boy up in a steel cage for the next ten years, they're going to be exposed to that kind of stuff, how about you stop helicopter parenting for half a minute? This son is seven years old and you're only just now objecting to his "offensive" behavior? Where were you for the past half decade? And why in God's name did it require an internet forum post to spurn you to abruptly take action?

You need to come to terms with a few things:

1) You're a closet racist.
2) Your son probably isn't racist.
3) It's really late in the game for you to start getting involved.

Congratulations! You fail parenting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 05:59 AM

217 posts, read 411,324 times
PP, that's really a bit much. you sound like you don't have kids.

I think it's really a bit of a stretch to say "Issaquah High School is failing its students!" based on this story alone. I grew up in a wildly racist place where I wasn't allowed to go to certain kids houses or bday parties, ever, bc their parents were members of the Klan. You don't get to high school and suddenly become racist. That's an intrinsic, cultural thing that starts young and isn't that different from bias against women. Often it's not even a parent going out of their way to make their kid so. It's far more subtle than that. But you make it all sound so simple.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
???

Quick! Quick! Let's import some black people! That will end racism!

"Talk rap?" What the hell does that even mean? Not to mention the fact that the boy is seven years old -- I doubt he even appreciates that what he's doing is offensive (but I don't doubt for a second that he's picking up on the fact that it makes you angry. More ammunition for later!).

Translation: black people talk a certain 'way,' but if white folks do it, that's racist. Hoo boy. Now, if you can't see the problem with that sentiment, I don't think there's any helping the matter.

This part actually made me laugh out loud. "Movies and video games are turning my kid racist!" Aside from the obvious fact that unless you're planning on locking your boy up in a steel cage for the next ten years, they're going to be exposed to that kind of stuff, how about you stop helicopter parenting for half a minute? This son is seven years old and you're only just now objecting to his "offensive" behavior? Where were you for the past half decade? And why in God's name did it require an internet forum post to spurn you to abruptly take action?

You need to come to terms with a few things:

1) You're a closet racist.
2) Your son probably isn't racist.
3) It's really late in the game for you to start getting involved.

Congratulations! You fail parenting!
Wow,"princess", thanks for the encouragement and support. You sound like such a warm, empathetic and nurturing individual.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM

603 posts, read 877,142 times
I graduated from IHS a few years ago. Students there were mostly the children of educated Microsoft employees. The school and local communities are overwhelmingly white and asian. I never saw overt racism in my time there. Haven't experienced any in Issaquah either (I'm a minority).

I think this is just a case of a few stupid 15 year old kids who don't understand the consequences associated with misuse of social media.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 PM

603 posts, read 877,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
It needs to be nipped in the bud. Ours is a diverse area, but we totally lack African-Americans and the result IS racism.

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at with this so I won't yell at you like some other poster did. But yes Issaquah is a diverse area. And by "diverse" I mean White, Asian, and Indian. There are very few latinos and black folks. I don't know if the "lack of black people" is the cause of racism in Issaquah. I live here and don't see any overt racism.

Fact of the matter is that black people are free to live here if they can afford the homes, property taxes, and overall cost of living. We shouldn't have some "social engineering" crap that brings black people into the community for the sake of having more black people. I don't know if that's what you were getting at or not, just my two cents.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at with this so I won't yell at you like some other poster did. But yes Issaquah is a diverse area. And by "diverse" I mean White, Asian, and Indian. There are very few latinos and black folks. I don't know if the "lack of black people" is the cause of racism in Issaquah. I live here and don't see any overt racism.

Fact of the matter is that black people are free to live here if they can afford the homes, property taxes, and overall cost of living. We shouldn't have some "social engineering" crap that brings black people into the community for the sake of having more black people. I don't know if that's what you were getting at or not, just my two cents.
Oh course they are, and no, I'm not suggesting we try some sort of social engineering project and import a bunch of African-Americans into Issaquah. In my experience, the more exposure and dialogue I've had with someone different than myself (in whatever capacity) the easier it is for me understand their unique perspective and empathize with their life experiences. If a cultural demographic is largely absent from an environment then dialogue and experience is limited. Isolation can breed alienation and more.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 PM

133 posts, read 253,011 times
Default It Is Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalex View Post
PP, that's really a bit much. you sound like you don't have kids.

I think it's really a bit of a stretch to say "Issaquah High School is failing its students!" based on this story alone. I grew up in a wildly racist place where I wasn't allowed to go to certain kids houses or bday parties, ever, bc their parents were members of the Klan. You don't get to high school and suddenly become racist. That's an intrinsic, cultural thing that starts young and isn't that different from bias against women. Often it's not even a parent going out of their way to make their kid so. It's far more subtle than that. But you make it all sound so simple.
Those retard racists compared Negro Garfield students to animals. That's supremacism. That's hate. That should be corrected in a learning environment (public high school). It was not corrected ergo Issaquah High failed. I'm not a parent but was a teenager once. In 2014, the only excuse I can give for this incredible ignorance is that those white boys are stuck on stupid.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 PM

Default Really, kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
The irony of you being upset about racism shouldn't be lost on anyone, considering you are obviously a racist yourself. 'White boys?' Good lord. Go away, cretin.
When did 'white boys' become derogatory? Sorry if I disappointed you in any way.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:48 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,094 times
Everyone's a Little Bit Racist

Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 AM

Default Cute Skit

Fair enough but where's the Everyone's A Little Bit Sexist skit? I had a public erection and an approaching woman started walking horizontally from me. Why so much disgust for a natural phenomenon?

Random but relevant-->Me and my white woman date who was recovering from chemo treatments got laughed by elitists (Urbane customers) while checking in at Olive 8 on my bday. Yup, adult women actually left their table seats to get a look at us as if they had never seen a mature white woman and a young Negro together. Seattle shuns The Negro when he's alone in public but then makes fun of him when he has a lady alongside. Folks, the immaturity in this region doesn't end at high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area