Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 AM

111 posts, read 539,208 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies.

The place I found is in Redmond, about 5 miles from work, so I wouldn't be using the corridor after all, although it's nice to see it's underway for future use.

I'll probably be mainly on streets like 80th St., and google streetview looks like there are a lot of bike lanes on most of the streets I'd be taking. Bus line is 245.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM

64 posts, read 82,917 times
You will be arriving at a nice time of the year in my opinion. The weather can still be a bit unstable but everything is flowering and looking nice I hope you enjoy the area!!

Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G. View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The place I found is in Redmond, about 5 miles from work, so I wouldn't be using the corridor after all, although it's nice to see it's underway for future use.

I'll probably be mainly on streets like 80th St., and google streetview looks like there are a lot of bike lanes on most of the streets I'd be taking. Bus line is 245.
There are, in that area (bike lanes). Season is here, today for example is a very typical and gorgeous Seattle metro spring day (half sun, half rain, mild temps on the Eastside).

The Burke Gilman and Slough trails are enjoyable, too, depending on destination.

I like Metro 245, I've taken it from Kirkland TC to Factoria and back a few times. Toyota dealer in Eastgate is adjacent to one of the stops, too, the infrequent times I've had dropoff repairs done.

There is a convenient bike rack on the front of most (all?) buses, as you may know, if relevant (haven't read other replies).

Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM

111 posts, read 539,208 times
Thanks for the replies. Well, I'm here in Kirkland now!

I've been out riding a bit and it seems like most of the streets are pretty nice, and there are a lot of bike lanes.
The place I ended up renting a room is near the main Microsoft campus at 51st St and 156th Ave.
Since I work near Kirkland Way and 6th St., I'll mainly be going East/West.

Looks like Old Redmond Road/70th St. for the most part. Wish it wasn't so hilly! At least it looks like it's got a bike lane for most of it though. Which raises the question: Can you ride on sidewalks here? There are a couple streets (like 148th Ave.) that have no bike lane, but have nice wide sidewalks.

Also, I checked out the Bridle Crest Trail, it cuts through for a few blocks, but it's kinda muddy.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G. View Post
Looks like Old Redmond Road/70th St. for the most part. Wish it wasn't so hilly! At least it looks like it's got a bike lane for most of it though. Which raises the question: Can you ride on sidewalks here? There are a couple streets (like 148th Ave.) that have no bike lane, but have nice wide sidewalks.

Also, I checked out the Bridle Crest Trail, it cuts through for a few blocks, but it's kinda muddy.
That's literally the King County Metro 245 route, in-part. Taken it many a time, opposite going/coming directions. In the summer, bike is much better exercise indeed and most of those side roads are more than tolerable. Lots of bikes out. Not being on any freeways: priceless.

The Bridle Crest Trail is enjoyable and challenging, but yes does get slick in the rain.

May wish to look up WA codes on bikes and sidewalks. I believe section WAC 308-330-555 covers it.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 AM

365 posts, read 257,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
Kirkland is nice. The Kirkland Corridor is useable as a bike path but it's rocky gravel right now so you need a mountain bike. It's also not really all that pleasant to bike on at the moment.
Or a hybrid bike. Just don't have a bike with very skinny tires meant for racing on concrete tracks.

Lots of hills so you might want to consider one of the electric bikes if you are going to commute often and don't want to get to work sweating and soaked (with perspiration not rain).

Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 AM

811 posts, read 1,060,403 times
Old thread alert!
I am guessing the OP has it figured out one way or another by now.

There seems to be a lot of old threads being revived lately.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:59 PM

Perhaps (old threads being revised).

Too, one update 2014-2017: good to note that the Cross Kirkland is now done and paved. Any bike will do at this point. Quite popular and usually quite pretty. I've walked miles of it, east end of Crestwoods Park is not even half a mile from my house. I believe it separates NorKirk vs. Highlands neighborhoods.

Haven't been where it reverts to rail bed in about two years, to the north, which (is, used to be) about the point it enters Woodinville. I find walking on old railbed tiring for more than a few miles. Biking would be well-night impossible though maybe someone will come along and mention how do-able it is with (x) type of bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area