U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:18 PM

108 posts, read 478,879 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've accepted a one-year contract with a company in Kirkland, and will be moving there 5/1.

Wanted to get some info on bicycling around Kirkland, especially the Kirkland Corridor. I ask because when I enter addresses for some of the places I'm considering renting, it lists the corridor as a bike route. But when I do a google street view, all I see on the corridor is railroad tracks. Is this a valid bike trail now?

Also, how is Kirkland for bicycling, aside from the rain? I lived in San Diego for a year, and bicycled there, you would think with that great weather that everybody would be riding bikes there, but that wasn't the case at all.

Also, how are the buses there?

Any info appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 01:28 PM

64 posts, read 62,342 times
I live in Kirkland, right next to the corridor. The corridor is a new project for the town, they have removed the tracks already but the trail is not properly finished yet. In June they will start adding all-weather crushed gravel to it. You can take a look at the project master plan here: http://www.kirklandwa.gov/Assets/Cro...b+27+Forum.pdf

I think it is really nice Can't wait to see this finished!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:32 PM

64 posts, read 62,342 times
About cycling and buses: you will see a lot of people cycling on summer when the weather gets better and the town burst with energy. Kirkland has flat areas and some hills... parts of it can be a good exercise for cycling.

The Kirkland Corridor takes you to the South Kirkland Park and Ride, where you can take a variety of buses from there. The buses are really nice, clean, reliable. I take it everyday to commute to Seattle. I am planning to start cycling to the park and ride on summer.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:04 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,702,080 times
Congrats on your move! I love, love Kirkland. And it's close to Redmond, the "Bicycle Capital of the Northwest."

Lots of cycling in these parts. Also lots of hills!

Old 04-04-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
About cycling and buses: you will see a lot of people cycling on summer when the weather gets better and the town burst with energy. Kirkland has flat areas and some hills... parts of it can be a good exercise for cycling.

The Kirkland Corridor takes you to the South Kirkland Park and Ride, where you can take a variety of buses from there. The buses are really nice, clean, reliable. I take it everyday to commute to Seattle. I am planning to start cycling to the park and ride on summer.
Thanks pinkcatwood, good to hear about the buses. The place I'll be working at gives employees an ORCA pass, so I'll probably be taking advantage of that.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Congrats on your move! I love, love Kirkland. And it's close to Redmond, the "Bicycle Capital of the Northwest."

Lots of cycling in these parts. Also lots of hills!
Awesome! Looking forward to it

Old 04-05-2014, 02:44 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,331,387 times
Having lived and biked in both areas, bicycling in the Seattle area is much safer and much more enjoyable than San Diego.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Having lived and biked in both areas, bicycling in the Seattle area is much safer and much more enjoyable than San Diego.
Good news, thanks!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:08 PM

2,064 posts, read 3,705,900 times
Kirkland is nice. The Kirkland Corridor is useable as a bike path but it's rocky gravel right now so you need a mountain bike. It's also not really all that pleasant to bike on at the moment.

The buses are decent. There are a few buses that will go wherever you need to go. The 255 seems to go wherever I want to go although it is a little slow because there are so many stops.

With all that said, if you can find a place where you can just bike or walk to work, you'll probably be much happier. There are a lot of rentals in Kirkland so it shouldn't be that hard to find.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,054,409 times
Pinkcatwood is right. I too live right next to the corridor and it's not finished. I ran it the other day and the rocks on the path are pretty large. I found it difficult to run without a great deal of concentration. Biking on the terrain would be mighty unpleasant as it is right now. When it's finished it'll be much nicer.

I did see lots of people out walking it though. Glad to see it's already getting a bit of use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area