Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 PM

279 posts, read 480,048 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience or thoughts on Washington Middle School?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:41 PM

456 posts, read 774,695 times
For gen -ed or something else?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:53 PM

279 posts, read 480,048 times
for gen ed and app as well as music department and language. Overall experiences!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 AM

318 posts, read 950,719 times
Historically, Washington MS has had one of the best middle school jazz bands in the country, but their director retired a few years back. Not sure how they're doing now, but most of those kids would feed into Garfield HS, which is renouned for budding young jazz musicians.

Not sure about orchestra, but I'd imagine it must be half decent, since the Garfield orchestra director, Marcus Tsutakawa, is also highly regarded in the music ed world.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
Historically, Washington MS has had one of the best middle school jazz bands in the country, but their director retired a few years back. Not sure how they're doing now, but most of those kids would feed into Garfield HS, which is renouned for budding young jazz musicians.

Not sure about orchestra, but I'd imagine it must be half decent, since the Garfield orchestra director, Marcus Tsutakawa, is also highly regarded in the music ed world.
The orchestra at Garfield is considered to be one of the best in the country if not the best. Marcus Tsutakawa is also a conductor one of the Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestras. My daughter chose to go to Garfield because he is the conductor.

I can't speak for Washington but we have a child in app at Hamilton. It's a good program, rigorous at times. Heavy homework load. Many field trips and enrichment stuff. Some years have been easier than others. This year they worked hard to try and keep the curriculum as similar to Washington as possible. I guess in years past this wasn't the case. Both feed into Garfield but you can also chose to do the accelerated IB program (IBX) at Ingraham. From parents I know who kids have come out of it(both Wash and Hamilton) and gone on to Garfield, they have been extremely successful academically. My guess is they are more than prepared. One parent told me recently her son and all of his friends got into every single college they applied for (he is a freshman in college (Ivy) now and he went to Washington for middle school).

Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
I commented on the parallel Madrona thread that I have heard positive reviews of Washington Middle. My neighbors' child who currently attends is on regular academic track I think, not AP, but also doing orchestra etc. Their younger child is currently at an option school (we are zoned to Bailey Gatzert elementary) but will be starting at Washington next year.

Here is a nice feature article on "Mr. Tsut" the Garfield orchestra director since he's mentioned above. I'm worried he will retire before my oldest starts high school in three years, boo! But, such a renowned orchestra program is sure to attract top talent.

UpClose: Marcus Tsutakawa - SBO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: