Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 PM

20 posts, read 17,527 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I am considering a job transfer which would move my husband. baby girl, and I from N. Virginia out to Seattle. I would be working downtown near the Westlake Center, so I am trying to figure out the best commuting options.

Am I better off driving into work or taking public transportation? Is there parking available? Is the public transport system nice? Is it safe to walk a couple blocks from Westlake up to 8th ave?

It sounds like the east side and north side are both good options. I am seeing love for Edmonds, but I don't know about the commute. I don't want to commute more than 45 min and I would prefer less than 30 m so I can spend my time with my little one. We would like to rent for a year and our budget is 2500-3500. We want a 2 car garage, a safe place for pets to go outside, and enough space for our stuff (2000 sq ft +). We prefer new or renovated, and I would love to have access to good walking trails.

I visited Queen Anne last year, and I really like the area, but I think it's outside our budget to get everything we want. I also visited Bainbridge Island, which was lovely, but I am apprehensive about ferrying every day with a young child. What areas should we be looking at?

We are really excited to move West, and I hope we can find a nice place.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:42 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
My wifey is from Frederick MD and we live out here. You will love it, we even have OLD BAY! I think Edmonds would be a good option, maybe also Kenmore/Bothell. Both would put you about the right commuting distance and close to good hiking. Seattle is pretty safe, certainly compared to crazy DC which you are used to. You are right to be apprehensive about Bainbridge, can be weary (not to mention expensive) to have to commute.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 AM

20 posts, read 17,527 times
Thanks for the response!

Well, it is now official and we are heading out at the end of the month.

Right now, we are looking at Issaquah, Sammamish, Bellevue, Kirkland, Bothell, Woodinville and Edmonds. I am also keeping an eye on Queen Anne and Greenlake, but my husband prefers the suburbs.

Are all of these places within a 45 min drive on average during rush hour? Are any of them with 30 min? Is it usually faster to drive or take public transport? We are leaning toward buying instead of renting at this point.

I am trying to figure out where the big traffic issues tend to fall - any advice on which interstates/ directions are better or worse for heading into the city?

Cheers!

Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 AM

486 posts, read 842,689 times
I live in Maple Valley, and I commute via the Metro to downtown near Westlake. It takes an hour each way, and it is an easy commute. I usually sit on my phone and read the news or take naps while on the bus. It is expensive to park downtown!

Old 08-03-2014, 10:26 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
It might be a couple of minutes faster to drive as opposed to taking the bus, but the bus is a whole lot less stressful, and the bus is sometimes faster.
If the shortest commute is a factor, somewhere in Bellevue within a few minutes of the Eastgate park and Ride makes sense. It's a 26 minute bus ride. Issaquah would work too, buses from the Issaquah Transit Center are only a few minutes longer. Woodinville is closer to 45. Sammamish is 35ish?( hemlock140, you reading this?)
Edmonds is absolutely lovely. Very nice downtown, with views of Puget Sound. If you can take the Sounder Train, it's only half an hour. Kirkland is also very nice, and buses from the south Kirkland Park and Ride are quick.
Of all the choices you listed, Edmonds would be my first choice, just because it's just so danged pleasant and walkable. Bellevue will be more expensive, unless you're interested in something that needs updating or renovating.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:46 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Another option would be the N. Seattle/Northgate area - it's less than a 20-minute express bus ride from the Park-n-Ride to the Westlake Center area.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
It's generally about 30 minutes from the Overlake Transit center (near Microsoft- NE Bellevue/SE Redmond) to downtown on the bus during peak hours (shorter during non-peak hours). It drops off right near Westlake Center.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:28 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
I second the area around the Overlake Transit Center. The 545 Express bus will get you straight from point A to point B, with no worries about DT parking (which is not plentiful and quite expensive). I do the opposite and take it from DT Seattle to work (I work in Redmond), and it's a very doable commute. It's right up the hill from Redmond, a straight shot to all the stuff around Crossroads, and a quick trip to Bellevue or Kirkland.

Another area you might check out is Magnolia. Very suburban feeling and quiet, yet a decent commute to DT. Some really jaw-dropping views of the Sound, a cute little 'village', and convenient to Ballard and Queen Anne as well.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:43 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
If you like living in NoVa, Bellevue is the closest you'll find to an area like Reston or Tysons Corner. Issaquah and Sammamish are a lot like the Loudoun County suburbs and further out parts of Fairfax County, though somewhat more convenient to downtown.

I'll add though that NoVa, especially along the Orange Line, is quite a bit more dense and urban than most of the City of Seattle aside from a few parts like Capitol Hill, SLU and lower Queen Anne. You can find some pretty suburban feeling neighborhoods within the city limits and close to downtown - Magnolia being one of the better examples and roughly comparable to McLean and Langley but with smaller lot sizes. Madison park would be another one that feels a bit like parts of suburban Arlington.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:00 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
If you like living in NoVa, Bellevue is the closest you'll find to an area like Reston or Tysons Corner. Issaquah and Sammamish are a lot like the Loudoun County suburbs and further out parts of Fairfax County, though somewhat more convenient to downtown.

I'll add though that NoVa, especially along the Orange Line, is quite a bit more dense and urban than most of the City of Seattle aside from a few parts like Capitol Hill, SLU and lower Queen Anne. You can find some pretty suburban feeling neighborhoods within the city limits and close to downtown - Magnolia being one of the better examples and roughly comparable to McLean and Langley but with smaller lot sizes. Madison park would be another one that feels a bit like parts of suburban Arlington.
Wedgwood would be a good in city choice as well. It has a bit more of a suburban feel. I'd second Magnolia too. A small town vibe in the city...really mayberryesque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area