Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 PM

36 posts, read 99,339 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been considering a move to Seattle and have been reading the comments on the weather. Seems you either like it or don't but my question is does the winter weather stop anyone from enjoying the outdoors? For example, is it just too wet outside to go hiking?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,188,095 times
Though the majority of precipitation falls in the winter people hike, jog, walk and run 365 days a year around here.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,027,486 times
I think you are going to get an answer pretty much like you have already said...

Quote:
Seems you either like it or don't
For some it is, for some it isn't.

There are those who will hike through anything, and then there are those who won't.

There are weeks when it drizzles constantly all day, in 45 degrees. I am not hiking in that, but there are probably people who do.

I love to be out when it's sunny. Or at least dry.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:01 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,664,864 times
I adore camping and hiking (I volunteer with the Washington Trails Assoc)

I used to ride a bike to work, or around my old town every other day

I moved to Seattle and I don't do any of it anymore (except during July or August)

I think it depends on the person. If you are like me - from California - and not used to being cold all year long or in the moist air, you don't do outdoor activities anymore

But most people who enjoy the weather here do not change their lifestyles.

It depresses me how much I used to do and no longer do since moving here. I'm not comfortable being in the cold that much - all. year. long

Old 12-12-2007, 10:39 AM

474 posts, read 1,451,996 times
Default Doesn't stop most folks.

Here's the reality:

Folks who suffer from SAD or are from warm climates tend to bunker themselves inside when the temperature gets below about 55 degrees, which sort of creates a vicious cycle of SAD.

I'm a native, and I walk my dog 3 times a day, regardless of weather. I jog & ride my bike regularly.

It's all about preparation. It was cold this morning, so I put on a poly base layer covered by fleece, gloves, and running shorts. 5 minutes into the jog, I felt fine. And the ground was dry. End result? I saw the sun come up (well, saw light begin at least), feel great, and don't feel trapped inside.

Bigger problem for me is the air quality when we get into dry, cold stretches in the winter. Not great for athsma. Lack of light is indeed significant for many folks. Never bothered me, but it is an issue for many. That would seem to be harder to deal with than weather, which is changeable and something that anybody can deal with with preparation.

Take up winter sports - skiing, jogging (in correct gear), hiking, whatever. Makes a huge difference in dealing with the light issues. There is nothing like standing at the top of Crystal mountain and seeing Mt. Rainier poke through the clouds and inhaling the amazing air....

Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,582,176 times
You also have to realize that what is percieved as "cold" is highly subjective. To someone from Texas or California where it rarely dips below 50 degrees, I can see how you could say Seattle was cold. But to someone from the northeast or midwest, our winters are very mild in comparison. I can't understand some of these people like CityGirl who complain when it's 65 degrees out...To me that's tee-shirt weather. But again, if you are used to dealing with oppressive heat and that is what you grew up with, then your body is more comfortable with that.

I also don't think its a "love it or hate it" environment. I don't particularly enjoy every single long, damp, dark winter day, but I don't get depressed about it and I certainly don't complain about it year after year after year. You just learn to deal with it or you don't, and it makes the nice weather that much more enjoyable.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:32 PM

1,663 posts, read 2,676,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post

Bigger problem for me is the air quality when we get into dry, cold stretches in the winter. Not great for athsma.
This is bad. Many people ignore the burn bans around here during the winter inversions and I have to stay in the house to breathe. That's my pet peeve.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:54 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,188,095 times
For me who has asthma moving to Seattle was a blessing. It was hard to breath back east in oppressive heat and humidity and extreme cold. Here in Seattle I don't even use an inhaler anymore.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,178,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
This is bad. Many people ignore the burn bans around here during the winter inversions and I have to stay in the house to breathe. That's my pet peeve.
Huh! Besides the smoke from burning wood how does your asthma fair?

Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,178,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
For me who has asthma moving to Seattle was a blessing. It was hard to breath back east in oppressive heat and humidity and extreme cold. Here in Seattle I don't even use an inhaler anymore.
The best spot in the USA for asthma is PDX. So I assumed Seattle would be pretty much the same. I hope I follow in your foot steps with losing the asthma symtoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area