U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 PM

58 posts, read 71,584 times

Advertisements

I usually have time to exercise after work in the early evening and would like to get outside to enjoy the nice weather. I've been walking/jogging around a neighborhood park, but that's getting rather boring, so I'd like to veture out to the places I haven't explored on the Eastside.

If anybody has a suggestion for parks/trails/promenades where I can walk/jog/hike for 1-2 hours, that would be awesome. I prefer open areas where fellow walkers/joggers are always within my sight as I get a little spooked out walking alone in a secluded, woodsy area. I'm pretty new to the area and so far my favorite place to exercise in all of Seattle is Green Lake, but unfortunately it's too far. Is there a place similar on the Eastside?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 07:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,751 posts, read 54,390,602 times
There are many places, all safe even when alone. The East Lake Sammamish Trail goes along the lake from Issaquah all the way into Redmond, though part in the middle is now closed for paving. It's almost always occupied.

Sammamish has several, the woodsy Beaver Lake Preserve trails & Soaring Eagle Park, and a bunch of more open trails in Klahanie (not quite in Sammamish yet). In Redmond, try the Redmond Watershed Preserve, near Redmond Ridge. Then for a steeper woodsy hike, in Issaquah there are many trails off of High Point Road/I90. Then one of our favorites is the Preston-Snoqualmie trail, starting at a parking area on Lake Alice Road off of Preston-Fall City Road. It does have the occasional bear.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,092,052 times
The stretch of lake front south of DT Kirkland is excellent - you can keep going to DT Bellevue if you like. Almost always people and few cross streets. The Burke-Gilman trail north of Marymore park is also a good place for this.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I went to Luther Burbank Park in Mercer Island today hoping that it might be a good park to jog along the waterfront, but it was not what I expected at all. The tall trees were blocking the water view and the place was quite deserted at 7:30 PM, so I left after a few minutes and ended up coming back to my neighborhood park to jog.

Kayela, I was wondering about the waterfront area near DT Kirkland. On the map I see a park called Houghton Beach Park. Is that a good place to start a run?

Thank you, Hemlock140. Your suggestions have been noted. I think I'll avoid the Preston-Snoqualmie trail, though, because I'll probably pass out if I face a bear!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,045,562 times
Start in Downtown Kirkland and head South. It's sidewalk jogging but it's still jogging. You might be dodging people on a nice day though!

I live in DT Kirkland to I run the waterfront on nice days. It's a great run. The only concern would be finding parking. You can also run north from DT Kirkland along Market into Juanita. It's a big uphill battle but there are a few great views. If you run through the neighborhoods on the hill you get to see some interesting houses.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:25 PM

I walked along the lake front south of DT Kirkland this evening. The view was amazing and many people were out, so I felt perfectly safe even though it was becoming dark. The sunset over Lake Washington was simply stunning and I had to stop several times to take the beautiful scenery all in. It was a perfect way to spend a summer evening. Thanks, Kayela and Garfunkle!

Oh, I was able to find parking in a little public park next to the Beach House restaurant and walked north toward downtown and then back, which worked out great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or