Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times

Advertisements

But Vinylly if you read through the thread on about page 5 there is a link to statistics. WA State is ranked 35 out of states for depression and 36 for suicide. That is not a high rate relatively speaking.

And honestly, I would take PNW weather over the Midwest in the dead of winter any day. They have similar short days and deathly wind chills. I far prefer winters here to there. At least I can ski!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
@Bill Loney - who mentioned fairy tales? What fairy tale are your referring to?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
@Bill Loney - who mentioned fairy tales? What fairy tale are your referring to?
Let's start with the Bible.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Ah, so you must think all history books are full of fairy tales. LOL

Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Ah, so you must think all history books are full of fairy tales. LOL
No. And the Bible is hardly a history book. It's an old book of stories whose accounts often include significant exaggerations. Many of which are nothing short of fairy tales. That you or others choose to believe in those fairy tales is your prerogative and your right. When you attempt to blame the ills of society on others who choose not to believe solely on empirical evidence, it reeks of the common judgmental thinking arising from the indoctrination of organized religion. That you want to believe it's true as if somehow it validates the practice of your beliefs, doesn't make it so.

Frankly it is precisely what makes me ill about organized religion. That's just my humble opinion.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 PM

I respect your opinion Bill and even though I don't agree with - I think we can get along and simply give opposing views. Quite frankly, the only fairy tale I have read since - say about age 6 - has been the theory of evolution. Anyone who chooses to believe in this fairy tale - it is their right. Just to get the topic back to the original track, perhaps suicides are up in all places due to the propagation of the evolution myth and the effect it has on people who see in it no true purpose for their own existance. I know we won't agree and that is fine - I've already been slammed for suggesting lack of faith as a reason for self destruction. But it is good to chew on intellectual food different then the usual. I welcome any rebuttals to what I have said and will definitely consider them in the interest of edification.

Peace.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM

@texastrigirl -

I too think that the Seattle "weather" is overrated - so many locales in the midwest or east coast are more gloomy. Boston and New York get more precipitation annually then Seattle. Seattle just gets more constant precipitation - and much of it is light rainfall. Shoot, I've lived in Seattle and LA and I more impressed by LA rainstorms that last a few days then Seattle rain that "lightly" sprinkles for a few hours over a period of a week or longer.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
I respect your opinion Bill and even though I don't agree with - I think we can get along and simply give opposing views. Quite frankly, the only fairy tale I have read since - say about age 6 - has been the theory of evolution. Anyone who chooses to believe in this fairy tale - it is their right. Just to get the topic back to the original track, perhaps suicides are up in all places due to the propagation of the evolution myth and the effect it has on people who see in it no true purpose for their own existance. I know we won't agree and that is fine - I've already been slammed for suggesting lack of faith as a reason for self destruction. But it is good to chew on intellectual food different then the usual. I welcome any rebuttals to what I have said and will definitely consider them in the interest of edification.

Peace.
If you look at the places with the lowest church attendance and you look at the places with the highest suicide rates, there doesn't seem to be a correlation. Seattle has very low church attendance, and is not one of the higher suicide rates in the country. Mississippi has high church attendance rates and a high suicide rate. It doesn't strike me that weather plays a big part in suicide, nor church attendance. Maybe economics does. And some of the places with the lowest suicide rates have the highest murder rates.
Seattle does not have a high suicide rate. But when people in Seattle commit suicide, they don't do it quietly taking pills. They've jumped off the Space Needle and the Aurora Bridge, and shot themselves in the head ala Kurt Cobain.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Quote:

Peace.
Wow. Someone doesn't understand the central tenets of science. Yes evolution is a theory, but so is controls engineering, relativity, etc. My point here is just because it is a theory doesn't make it wrong. It is simply the best explanation we have and is supported by an overwhelming body of evidence.

So, while you may want to believe in absolutes because of your inherent inability to be comfortable with the notion that life and a lot of what we do is a series of accidents and physical laws, I choose to think that science can teach us about the world and doesn't have to be perfectly right. I choose to live life and not be held hostage by some omnipotent being who just so happens to demand sacrifice, worship, and hold to a set of rules. Sounds too ... dictatorial to me.

But anyway, that is besides the point to the thread.

Lack of faith doesn't have any correlation to a "high" suicide rate, as Ira mentioned.

One thing I do know IS correlated with lack of faith in a higher being is a higher education. And Seattle has a very high education rate.

I personally don't know why so many people here think that this area has a high suicide rate. Maybe because people jump to conclusions that just because we have gloomy skies in the winter means we have high suicide?

To be honest even though Seattleites are hard to approach from a Midwesterner's perspective, they're hardly depressed. Introverted yes. Depressed, no.

Or maybe we're so awesome that people want to foist make-believe fairy tails or false assumptions on us to make them feel better about where they live.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Yes - Ira - I agree that Seattle's suicide rate is overrated - or at least it's reputation for gloominess or it's reputation. I think that none of can really determine the reason why someone chooses to destroy themselves. The reasons are in there own mind and experience - we can't penetrate there. I think Seattle area is a beautiful place and certainly would not discourage anyone from locating here on the assumption that the metro area contributes to suicide. Many posters here have demonstrated that other - not so trendy places actually have higher suicide rates. However my Christian world view prompts me to say what I said - and maybe it is true. I knew four people who have contemplated suicide - three of those did it - and one I knew well and still cry when his "death anniversary" comes around - and he was living in South Seattle as was I when this occurred. Maybe lack of faith is not the issue, but we will never know what has gone through these unfortunate souls when they take the final step off the edge. May my friend and all others who have taken their life RIP - my friend - you are forever in our hearts and prayers - we miss you. May God bless you. Peace.

Last edited by Harrier; 11-09-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area