Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,291 times

Advertisements

First of it is not a coincidence since it isn't correlated in the first place. Washington as a state is tied at 21st for suicides, several states that rank higher include Oklahoma Arkansas west virgina Florida tennassee all are with in the bible belt and have large devout communities. I have several relatives who suffer from depression and mental problems who have also and they are or where all devout Christians.

I don't even know why evolution has been brought up on this forum but let me help out here also, there is no impirical evidence against evolution, and there is no impirical evidence that god exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttuutt View Post
Washington as a state is tied at 21st for suicides
It would be far more interesting and relevant to compare western Washington (just the part west of the cascades) to the other 49 states. The ranking would look very different.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:55 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
It would be far more interesting and relevant to compare western Washington (just the part west of the cascades) to the other 49 states. The ranking would look very different.
I haven't seen that, but there is suicide rate by city table here:
http://health-equity.pitt.edu/933/1/..._Inventory.pdf
Scroll down to table 1.17.
Most of the highest suicide rates are in cities that are very sunny. Seattle is somewhere in the middle. The cities with the lowest suicide rates are also places with a high homicide rate. "I'm not going to kill myself. I'm gonna kill you?"

Old 11-11-2011, 03:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
places that have lots of overcast got depression issues. i was there 4 months and i was depressed didnt know why. stopped when i left.
but that could have been all those giant banana slugs i ran over with the bicycle.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
lol - the first is a REVIEW of a book and the Stanford and Harvard links simply attempt to support evolutionary "proof" that several creationist and intelligent design sites have successfully debunked. I shall post links to them here in the next couple days.
Go ahead and laugh all you want. Meanwhile I suggest you illustrate a credible resource for creation. Good luck with that.

Fossil evidence
Homologies
Distribution in time and space
Evidence by example

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: the Scientific Case for Common Descent
The Evolution Evidence Page
Actionbioscience | Evolution: Fact and Theory

Now of course I'm quite certain you'll try to blow all of these off.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
No - I will read all of them throughly and if they have validity (and credibility - since that is the standard you require from me), perhaps I will be persuaded to your point of view. You are very presumptious. Do you not know how to think critically? Anyways - if I find that your links are not supportive of your claim, rest assured I will tell you why and provide links to back up my stance.

Thanks for the info.

Peace.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No - I will read all of them throughly and if they have validity (and credibility - since that is the standard you require from me), perhaps I will be persuaded to your point of view. You are very presumptious. Do you not know how to think critically? .
Do I know how to think critically? From the guy who suggests that stories in the Bible are something other than fairy tales? Really?

I see you have ignored my request for your own credible resources.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:44 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
I haven't ignored your request I am busy going over the stuff you directed me to. Patience. I'm not sure you would take the time to read what I give you anyway, since you dismiss me as believing in fairy tales. if you would open your mind - I might be inclined to not think I am wasting my time. Anyways, your links are rather interesting, from what I've read so far.

Let's continue our discussion concerning evolution in another thread. I won't talk about it here anymore - relevancy to the topic ends at lack of faith contributing to suicide.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
places that have lots of overcast got depression issues. i was there 4 months and i was depressed didnt know why. stopped when i left.
but that could have been all those giant banana slugs i ran over with the bicycle.
You'll never get a local Seattle person to admit it. Why they're the happiest bunch on earth. LOL

Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 PM

9 posts, read 13,541 times
Here's an interesting new study out that seeks to draw correlation between religious character and lower depression risk (which could certainly affect suicidal ideations). However, as all of us in academia know, "correlation does not prove causation," but this is still interesting.

Attending Religious Services Lowers Depression Risk And Raises Optimism

(Full disclosure - I'm a 40 year old medical student and life-long Christian. My wife and I are in the process of converting to Catholicism currently. That said, both science and faith are immensely important to me. As such I no trouble with evolution or the fact that Christ's blood is the propitiation for my sins. Figured I'd throw that out since this thread feels very much like an "us vs. them" debate and I tend to see myself in terms of both.)

Anyway, interesting study and in light of the debate here regarding suicide and religious character I thought it germane to the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area