U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Status: " All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well" (set 11 days ago)

6,820 posts, read 6,538,843 times

Advertisements

Oddly enough, I remember looking at both suicide (official) and self-reported depression rates (polls) by state at one time, and they were not all that closely correlated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 7,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaMedStudent View Post
Here's an interesting new study out that seeks to draw correlation between religious character and lower depression risk (which could certainly affect suicidal ideations). However, as all of us in academia know, "correlation does not prove causation," but this is still interesting.

Attending Religious Services Lowers Depression Risk And Raises Optimism

(Full disclosure - I'm a 40 year old medical student and life-long Christian. My wife and I are in the process of converting to Catholicism currently. That said, both science and faith are immensely important to me. As such I no trouble with evolution or the fact that Christ's blood is the propitiation for my sins. Figured I'd throw that out since this thread feels very much like an "us vs. them" debate and I tend to see myself in terms of both.)

Anyway, interesting study and in light of the debate here regarding suicide and religious character I thought it germane to the conversation.
I've gotten some interesting replies via private messages regarding this post. I would encourage those people to post your responses here as they're quite valid.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 PM

29,010 posts, read 10,266,662 times
I'd like to read them.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 643 times
Default Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Blazer View Post
Geez, what an upbeat kind of guy huh?

You must be one of those "glass is half empty" type of people. Now go open another bottle and fill your glass.
I live in US for more than 20 years, east cost. I needed a change and I decided to move to Seattle, good jobs, hiking, camping. Two months here, what a disappointment, miserable, angry people live in Seattle, they do not look straight in your eyes. It's like going back in time 150 years back, England, provincial people that moved to cities during the industrialization time. I can not wait to go back to east coast, where tolerant, beautiful, open people of Italian, Jewish, South American and other civilized origin live.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 PM

948 posts, read 853,355 times
Not true: The 15 Most Suicidal Cities In America - Business Insider

10 Myths About US Cities and States Debunked - Forbes

Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,229,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedobro63 View Post
I live in US for more than 20 years, east cost. I needed a change and I decided to move to Seattle, good jobs, hiking, camping. Two months here, what a disappointment, miserable, angry people live in Seattle, they do not look straight in your eyes. It's like going back in time 150 years back, England, provincial people that moved to cities during the industrialization time. I can not wait to go back to east coast, where tolerant, beautiful, open people of Italian, Jewish, South American and other civilized origin live.
You must always be in the wrong places, I have lived here for 3 years now and don't encounter much of what you described. People I work with or see in public seem to be pretty normal, just as they were anywhere else I lived.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM

8,331 posts, read 14,847,588 times
Quote:
Tolerant ,beautiful, open people from the East Coast of Jewish, Italian, S.American, and other civilized origin?
I'm from New Jersey. I don't hate the place. It's got some absolutely gorgeous areas, and awesome food.
But civilized? New Jersey? That's not the New Jersey I grew up in. A lot of parts of New Jersey are much higher in crime than in Seattle, and are much more run down. The New Jersey I grew up in had it's share of uneducated morons acting out. Tolerant? As long as you didn't go into the wrong neighborhood. And beautiful? Some, but there's a lot of good food to eat in New Jersey, and restaurants often serve ridiculously large portions of good food in New Jersey. There's also less of a focus in NJ on exercise and fitness, hence there's also a higher proportion of obese folks.
But I get it. People are less reserved in New Jersey. You know where they stand right away

Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Status: " All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well" (set 11 days ago)

6,820 posts, read 6,538,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
That's very interesting, most of those cities are notable for having abundant sunshine!

I do notice that too many sunny days in a row make me irritable ....... not depressed, but also not feeling great. I really do like some gloom and rain every now and then ..... maybe not to the extreme of Seattle, but oddly enough I felt better living there than in San Diego. Something in the middle would be good.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM

5,148 posts, read 3,169,028 times
I used to move around. Then one day long ago I realized whatever problems I found in one place followed me to the next. So I stopped moving (it is such a stressful thing) and began studying the problems. Asian philosophers say you can only understand problems by self-knowledge. I might move for better weather, but never for better people.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 PM

142 posts, read 286,311 times
Quote:
LOL - Serious?
I've spent a considerable amount of time on the East Coast. I have also spent time out West (though not as much) and I would say the folks out West were so much nicer. I was not impressed with folks from the East Coast in general. Tolerant? I wonder what you are describing here? Tolerant in which way? They just assume run you off the road if you are driving or push you out of the way if you are walking. I'd take Seattle any day over any East Coast city! Can't wait to be in Seattle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area