U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-23-2008, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 22,589 times

Advertisements

Despite the fact that 'seasonal depression' is common in rainy areas...and we all know Seattle gets it's fair share.

Alaska is the number one state for suicide, Nevada being 2nd.. New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and West Virginia... Washington state actually ranks 16th for suicide rates.. with only 830 on average (most recent available statistics from the Vital Statistics and Mental Health America.net
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 32,509 times
Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.) is a real condition and is treatable. Please educate yourself.

Seattle would rate higher on the National Suicide Index if the unemployment rate, in addition to numerous other social factors, were at play.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 22,093 times
The idea that Seattle has a high suicide rate is an urban myth. Also the suggestion that it's caused by the weather is another myth to embellish what's already a myth, making the whole thing a sort of "urban myth squared". In fact, Seattle's suicide rate is somewhat below average for US cities at 12.2 per year out of 100,000 (compared to 12.8 average). As for the weather hypothesis, you need only compare the city with the highest suicide rate, sunny Las Vegas, at 34.5 or sunny Tucson, which is number 3, at 25.0. These statistics are for 2004, the latest year tabulated in a report "Big Cities Health Inventory 2007" by the National Association of County and City Health Officials.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:01 PM

576 posts, read 1,276,239 times
I wish it did; it would validate that Seattle is depressing. Same with the holiday season.

But, unfortunately Seattle is in limbo when it comes to a lot of things. It simply can't go big on anything whether it be weather, public transport, or suicide.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:21 PM

4,248 posts, read 5,181,835 times
If it makes you feel better, tada, Christmas day is the #1 day for heart attacks.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 PM

576 posts, read 1,276,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
If it makes you feel better, tada, Christmas day is the #1 day for heart attacks.
Not Thanksgiving? O_o

Old 03-17-2010, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 19,951 times
hm. I find this thread really odd.
i've lived in Tacoma, which is 30miles south of seattle my whole life. and from what i've observed, there's a lot of depression. i think seattle as a whole is a lot more happier than the tacoma area.
also, those who say they've not met anyone in seattle who has depression...wow. i know so so many people who are depressed, so...idk who you talk to. :|

Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 PM

35 posts, read 61,665 times
Seattle is definitely known for its incidence of depression. Here's a link that shows that WA does have a fairly high suicide rate (35th out of 50; meaning that 35 states have lower suicide rates than Washington).

Mental Health America: Ranking America's Mental Health: An Analysis of Depression Across the States

One known fact is that because of the lack of sun, people here tend to be Vitamin D deficient, and vitamin D deficiency is linked to depression.

I worked as a social worker in an emergency department. Anecdotally, I have definitely seen tons of depressed people in the Seattle area.

I don't have stats to prove this, but I've also heard that MS is higher in the Pacific Northwest than in other parts of the country.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 AM

4,248 posts, read 5,181,835 times
So, its cloudy in Nevada and Utah, which have higher rates of depression and suicide?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 AM

121 posts, read 221,455 times
I've always thought the high suicide rate thing was a myth. It's always struck me how differently Vancouver BC is perceived (cosmopolitan, lively, fast-paced, etc.) vs. Seattle, even though they share identical climates. I think a lot of it is simply perception.

That's not to discount that Seattle does have a higher proportion of cloudy days than just about anywhere else. Maybe we should erect a giant billboard on I-5 at the city limits: "Seattle: Only the (Mentally) Tough Survive!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area