U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:21 PM

299 posts, read 829,493 times

Advertisements

The Cities That Will Bring You Down

Depression and suicide rates state by state - USATODAY.com

No, it might not have a low suicide rate, but it's just an urban myth that Seattle's "bad" weather leads people to suicide. Just look at the list with the suicide rates by state. Washington state certainly isn't in a great spot on the list. But look at the states that are higher on the list. Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Etc. All those states have plenty of sun. It's a similar deal with depression, only Washington moves up a spot.

Just because Seattle is cloudy a good part of the year doesn't mean its suicide rate is high. Cloudiness or even rain does not = depression or suicide. People need to stop associating cloudy weather with depression. Just come to Seattle, and you'll see that it's FAR from a gloomy, depressing city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM

807 posts, read 2,101,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
The Cities That Will Bring You Down

Depression and suicide rates state by state - USATODAY.com

No, it might not have a low suicide rate, but it's just an urban myth that Seattle's "bad" weather leads people to suicide. Just look at the list with the suicide rates by state. Washington state certainly isn't in a great spot on the list. But look at the states that are higher on the list. Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Etc. All those states have plenty of sun. It's a similar deal with depression, only Washington moves up a spot.

Just because Seattle is cloudy a good part of the year doesn't mean its suicide rate is high. Cloudiness or even rain does not = depression or suicide. People need to stop associating cloudy weather with depression. Just come to Seattle, and you'll see that it's FAR from a gloomy, depressing city.
Agreed. Although when I fly home to Seattle Im always kinda bummed out by the amount of angsty grungy-types milling about.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 AM

6,395 posts, read 11,731,169 times
"Just because Seattle is cloudy a good part of the year doesn't mean its suicide rate is high. Cloudiness or even rain does not = depression or suicide. People need to stop associating cloudy weather with depression. Just come to Seattle, and you'll see that it's FAR from a gloomy, depressing city."

I agree with Darkhyperchaos. Its suicide rate isnt particularly low as well as for Washington state but its not that particularly high neither. In most lists/ranks, Seattle and Washington are in the 15th-25th spots for suicide and depression. Actually in some surveys/lists/ranks Seattle is rated very high for quality of life, and health in general for a city, as well as Washington state for states.

Seattle and Washington dont feel like gloomy and depressing places to me a lot of the time, even when its cloudy and rainy but it is definitely different than when its sunnier. People in Seattle in general still seems friendly, and happy when interacting, but when its sunnier people in general seems to act EVEN MORE friendly and happy and responsive, so there is a difference. Also, Seattle and Washington state has been getting plenty of sunny weather this past week and it is March and still technically winter. The past 4 days in a row it has been sunny and the sun goes down at 7-8pm. In December and February there were plenty of sunny days then too.

Actually, Seattle has been investing in solar power, as well as Washington state and Oregon in general. One of the biggest solar projects in America is actually happening along the Washington/Oregon border. Apparently Seattle and areas of western Washington and Oregon gets the same amount of sun per year as Germany, which is the world's leading solar power producer. Many places in Europe gets less sun than Seattle and areas of the Northwest. London England, for example gets 200 hours less of sunny weather per average than Seattle. Seattle is roughly the same latititude as central/northern France, so in the winter places that are more north in latitude than Seattle such as England, Ireland, Sweden, Iceland, and Norway get less sun than Seattle and Washington state in general for the winter. Do you ever hear those places in Europe being gloomy and depressing places and people complaining about the winters there?! Places such as Sweden, Iceland, Germany, Norway, England, France, and Switzerland are rated the highest in the world for quality of life, life expectancy, and happiness.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:06 AM

7,726 posts, read 14,202,114 times
It's already been discussed that Iceland, Norway, Sweden have a higher intake of Vitamin D which supposedly boosts emotions/keeps SAD at bay. (Northern) France and England complain about everything (and yes, I heard "gloom" being associated with England).

Everything you just said does support that Seasonal Affective Disorder is the real thing. If you notice people are "EVEN MORE" friendly, happy and responsive when the sun is out-- that should tell you something. Different strokes for different folks... weather does affect a lot of people. Darkhyperchaos and NUB are not catching that when people are talking bout how depressing and gloomy it is here-- they're only talking about the weather, not the quality of life the city itself presents.

Besides, NUB, this is your first winter here. It's just your luck that you get to experience your fist winter during the El Niño season. Washington is one of the few places on Earth that enjoys the benefits of El Niño-- we get more sunshine in the winter and nicer and agreeable weather. I remember the weather being so severe that Seattle couldn't even get to watch Bill Clinton's inauguration.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:39 AM

7,765 posts, read 9,986,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It's already been discussed that Iceland, Norway, Sweden have a higher intake of Vitamin D which supposedly boosts emotions/keeps SAD at bay.
probably because in Europe people walk a lot --> more time spent outside

Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 AM

6,395 posts, read 11,731,169 times
To Inkpoe: People in general are actually recommended to get Vitamin D from food and supplements, especially if they live in relatively northern latitudes in the winter. So if everyone had a higher intake of vitamin D in places such as Washington, British Columbia, Oregon, and Alaska, SAD could be mostly prevented and emotions can be kept at bay for the people who get SAD and emotional problems during cloudier/rainier weather. Someone can still get vitamin d deficiencies even when it is sunnier if they have nutrient deficiencies with certain other nutrients.I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency before when I lived in New York state in the spring and didnt know I wasnt out in the sunny weather enough. I also didnt get enough vitamin d from food/supplements and didnt know I needed vitamin d from food and supplements as well. The majority of Americans actually have nutrient deficiencies for certain nutrients and certain nutrient deficiencies can prevent vitamin d from being absorbed and being absorbed properly.

And I said that plenty of people still acted friendly, happy, and responsive enough when it is cloudier/rainier here. Plenty of people actually like that weather too. Washington state and Seattle definitely have plenty of positive about its climate and weather and people shouldnt just focus on how it can be cloudy and rainy here sometimes. However, you are right. There is a difference. And I actually saw some people seem more on edge and eccentric when it was cloudier/rainier but I have seen people get more on edge and eccentric in other places when it gets hotter(above 90 degrees) or colder(below 30 degrees). Seattle usually never has to deal with those extreme temperatures. I personally have severe health problems when it gets above 90 degrees, so Seattle works perfect for me.

And plus, this area still gets enough sun(even when its not El Nino) for solar power to be invested here. And like I said, Germany gets the same amount of sun as Washington, and thats the worlds leading solar producer.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:23 AM

616 posts, read 1,056,316 times
I have seen many depressed-looking people in Arizona and other hot climates. They are the people who spend all day in a Air-conditioned buildings and the only instances where they go outside is when they're going from a building to their car or vice-versa. I suspect they suffer from SAD just as bad.

That being said, you get get SAD anywhere. Just eat a good diet with plenty of fish plus spend more time outside even if it's cloudy and you should do just fine.

However, I believe it is much easier to get SAD in Seattle than many other places at it's latitude in the winter. On top of Vit D, light therapy is important. The snow is great light therapy and reflects Vit D. Imagine that. I lived in AK and ME and never suffered from SAD but did in WA... But haven't had a problem with it since I changed my lifestyle (Well, this winter was sunny anyway....)

Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 AM

299 posts, read 829,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

Everything you just said does support that Seasonal Affective Disorder is the real thing. If you notice people are "EVEN MORE" friendly, happy and responsive when the sun is out-- that should tell you something. Different strokes for different folks... weather does affect a lot of people. Darkhyperchaos and NUB are not catching that when people are talking bout how depressing and gloomy it is here-- they're only talking about the weather, not the quality of life the city itself presents.
Whatever weather floats your boat. But Seattle is quite sunny and dry in the summer, when we're talking about Seattle's constant cloudiness, we're talking mainly about how it is in the winter, because it's the most present in the winter. Now compare Seattle's cloudiness in the winter to other climates in the winter, and (at least for me), it doesn't seem so bad. Just look at the winter climate in Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, Upstate NY, Denver, Cleveland, Milwaukee (spend a winter there and Seattle will seem like tropical paradise) Etc.

My point is not that those cities are bad. But is a little gray in the sky and maybe a little drizzle worse then constant, freezing temperatures? Weather does effect some people, and when Seattle is gray in the winter, other people in the US are "enjoying" brutally cold temperatures. That's why I love Seattle's winters, they may not be warm, but they're relatively mild. And clouds in the sky don't hinder anyone. They might not be uplifting to some people, but it really isn't that bad.

Seattle's climate is mild. So just as the brutally cold temperatures in other major cities might depress someone. The brutally hot temperatures in the summer might depress them even more. I've had the chance to spend a summer near Phoenix. While the Seattleites are enjoying their relatively mild, but warm summer, down here I get to feel like I'm in an oven. You stay indoors with the AC on the the max, all day. At least the way I look at it, Seattle's overall, year round climate is not very depressing compared to numerous other cities. Other cities either have brutally cold temperatures in the winter, or brutally hot temperatures in the summer. Seattle has neither. I love it's year round mild (at least comparatively) climate. But that's just me. Temperature can effect someone just as much, if not more then some clouds in the sky.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Washington state and Seattle definitely have plenty of positive about its climate and weather and people shouldnt just focus on how it can be cloudy and rainy here sometimes.

And plus, this area still gets enough sun(even when its not El Nino) for solar power to be invested here. And like I said, Germany gets the same amount of sun as Washington, and thats the worlds leading solar producer.
People will complain about anything. And it should be brought up about how cloudy and rainy it is here because people don't really realize how weather works here just so that people have the general idea. It's always been said winter's a bit harder to deal with but summer is always the nicest.

And as for solar power, I wouldn't know anything about that. All I do know is that there was an article last year in the papers where they talked the parking meter being solar powered and not even being properly utilized (pointed in the wrong direction) and that there's not even enough solar days here to justify the use of a solar powered meter.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
Whatever weather floats your boat. But Seattle is quite sunny and dry in the summer, when we're talking about Seattle's constant cloudiness, we're talking mainly about how it is in the winter, because it's the most present in the winter.

My point is not that those cities are bad. But is a little gray in the sky and maybe a little drizzle worse then constant, freezing temperatures? Weather does effect some people, and when Seattle is gray in the winter, other people in the US are "enjoying" brutally cold temperatures.
I never said Seattle's weather was otherwise.

One thing that does get to everyone who have SAD during the winter is the fact you have to deal with days that end by 4:30. Some people in WA may not even have that point of reference/ experience of that winter brutalizing cold, but this doesn't lessen their chance of getting SAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area