U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,419 times

Advertisements

I think the weather related depression is all relative, depends on where one lived. It is difficult for people to comprehen how sunny and warm climate would cheer them up. I came from So. Calif. where there was sun almost everyday. I had been in Seattle area since June 2010, the cloudy and raining days are beginning to get into me. The traffic is also as bad or worst as in So. Calif. especially when it was raining. One of the problem is the narrow freeway, an accident would close the whole freeway. I think most people would stay home when it was raining. People tended to be depressed when they stayed home. They also tended to be over weight because of inactivity. The rural area of Washington is hard to get used to also, one would get a feeling of isolation. I hope I could retire to sunny Florida before the depression set in too deep for me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 AM

124 posts, read 345,511 times
If someone hasn't posted it yet, here's the breakdown by state: Suicide Statistics

Washington comes in at #18 in 2004 and #21 in 2005; lower than Florida and Arizona. So, I doubt weather has anything to do with the suicide rate.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM

172 posts, read 411,398 times
I only know of one person who has committed suicide within my 25 years of living in Seattle area. Then again, I really didn't know them. more of an aquiantance. The pacific northwest has alot of cool things to keep people going and look at the glass half full.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:24 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,327,400 times
There is a tendency to nest when it's dark and damp outside. The first winter here, the length of the nights and the fact it can rain four weeks straight took some getting used to. Some cannot make the adjustment. I doubt that weather is anything more than a small contributing reason for a suicide.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM

543 posts, read 1,375,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
There is a tendency to nest when it's dark and damp outside. The first winter here, the length of the nights and the fact it can rain four weeks straight took some getting used to. Some cannot make the adjustment. I doubt that weather is anything more than a small contributing reason for a suicide.

It's not the rain and darkness itself but high rate of vitamin D deficiency:

Vitamin D and Depression

(Or I should say lack of vitamin D due to low sun exposure...meaning it's not the rain and darkness itself, but missing the vitamin D from the sunlight).

Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM

807 posts, read 2,101,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post

Vitamin D and Depression

(Or I should say lack of vitamin D due to low sun exposure...meaning it's not the rain and darkness itself, but missing the vitamin D from the sunlight).

Balanced diet and exercise would help, right? Or at least it does for me. That and looking forward to things that fall/winter brings like parties, holidays off work, etc. And in my experience here, people are nesting and MIA all summer long even when they're in town. In fall/winter people hang out more.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,551,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Balanced diet and exercise would help, right? Or at least it does for me. That and looking forward to things that fall/winter brings like parties, holidays off work, etc. And in my experience here, people are nesting and MIA all summer long even when they're in town. In fall/winter people hang out more.
It seems a bit odd to say that people are nesting in the summertime...isn't nesting something that is typically done in the winter?

At any rate, a good diet and regular exercise are essential ...

Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 PM

807 posts, read 2,101,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
It seems a bit odd to say that people are nesting in the summertime...isn't nesting something that is typically done in the winter?

At any rate, a good diet and regular exercise are essential ...

It was true for my circle this summer. People talked up a big game about summer plans but couldnt get anyone to do anything when the sun was out! Now that "summer" is over, people are coming out of the woodwork to make plans.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM

10,566 posts, read 14,474,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post

Vitamin D and Depression

Three kids committed suicide at my school in LA, and it was a small, private arts college... LA is plenty sunny... I seem to recall reading that Las Vegas has the highest suicide rate in the US, due to personal gambling issues/debts, job loss, and the huge collapse in real estate value.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,467,442 times
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but Seattle is not the #1 suicide city. Las Vegas is #1, Colorado Springs and Tucson are in the top 3. Washington State is in the middle of the pack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area