Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
"Entertainment in Seattle tends to be about leaving town, not enjoying being in town."
It's a double-edged sword: being in town is not an especially enjoyable experience.
"The transit system is decent...but it's been taken over by the homeless."
Along with the rest of the city---it's a major reason why nobody wants to spend time here, because other Washington cities won't put up with it.
WTF with all the winos and bums in Seattle? - AR15.Com Archive
Huh?
Nobody
wants to spend time here???
So the hundreds of thousands who do spend time here are what? Zombies???
Nothing like over-generalizing ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,971,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
Hey - we should have a City-Data gathering at the Yard House downtown one of these Fridays. Plenty of beers on tap. I'm hoping Bat Cat shows up, bet that dude(tte?) can drink 'em.

Yes?
BATCAT loves a few pints of good beer. And if it weren't for "special little dork clubs" BATCAT would not have any clubs at all BATCAT could belong to!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
"Entertainment in Seattle tends to be about leaving town, not enjoying being in town."

It's a double-edged sword: being in town is not an especially enjoyable experience.

"The transit system is decent...but it's been taken over by the homeless."

Along with the rest of the city---it's a major reason why nobody wants to spend time here, because other Washington cities won't put up with it.

WTF with all the winos and bums in Seattle? - AR15.Com Archive
Wow, gun nuts calling the homeless stuff like " human filth"... how can BATCAT sign up for such wonderful discourse?

Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 PM

555 posts, read 802,813 times
"Wow, gun nuts calling the homeless stuff like human filth"

You mean like the 'homeless' guy, I saw yesterday brandishing a knife at the Mt. Baker Transit Center? Or the one last week who stabbed a guy down in Skyway? Or the one on Beacon Hill a few days who was found pushing a dead body around in his shopping cart? Or the one who stabbed a professor and his girlfriend to death in Chinatown a month or so ago because he thought they were government spies, or something?

Or the approximate 600 'transients' in Seattle who are believed to be registered sex offenders?

Maybe it doesn't hurt to be a 'gun nut' or have some other personal protection when you're forced to live around psychos who could (and do) go off you or anyone else at any moment.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 PM

555 posts, read 802,813 times
Polly:
You're right: I forgot that thousands do come here for the legal pot and generous welfare benefits. But I was referring to people who actually make positive social contributions.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
"Wow, gun nuts calling the homeless stuff like human filth"

You mean like the 'homeless' guy, I saw yesterday brandishing a knife at the Mt. Baker Transit Center? Or the one last week who stabbed a guy down in Skyway? Or the one on Beacon Hill a few days who was found pushing a dead body around in his shopping cart? Or the one who stabbed a professor and his girlfriend to death in Chinatown a month or so ago because he thought they were government spies, or something?

Or the approximate 600 'transients' in Seattle who are believed to be registered sex offenders?

Maybe it doesn't hurt to be a 'gun nut' or have some other personal protection when you're forced to live around psychos who could (and do) go off you or anyone else at any moment.
Good point!

My legs are pretty damn hairy. I mean: hairy.

I have sufficient hair on my arms (on my head too). While I would do better to get my hair on my head cut once a week, my financial considerations make it more prudent I get my hair cut once every two weeks. I usually (not always) shave once a day. And ever since I've been using an alum block shaving is one of the things I get the most enjoyment from in life. However, I keep hair on my chin, in a fashion much like famous celebrity Jesse James. Truth be told I would like to have a full beard, however, contra the enormous ignorance of the women on this website (and some of the men) not every man can grow an even beard across all of his facial cheeks. Around most my facial cheeks my hair comes out scraggly and in uneven spots. For aesthetic looks I shave this. I can't even grow a full mustache. Again, I shave it. And I keep the hair on my chin (actually, towards the sides, along my mandible, this encompasses more than just my "chin"). I shave the hair under my chin and running down the front of my neck.

I also shave or clipper the splotches of long scraggly hairs in the center of my lower back when I feel it too.

Ever take a crap with a butt full of hair? Yeah, a lot of you men have. And you walk around with sh*t caked in between your butt cheeks.

I don't shave the hair underneath my arms but I do clipper them to a low but still "masculine" look for Western culture.

My chest is akin to my face in which I can't grow an even, full cover of hair across my chest. I have scraggly, long hairs down the center (in no even look) of my chest, and usually long scraggly hairs encircling my nipples.

My chest like my face looks better clippered or shaved down. And oh yes... I do clipper to a low (but not very low length) length the hair on my chin.

When I went over to the Middle East in the Marine Corps the Arab women were a bit fascinated with our "high and tights" as very few Arab men had "bald fades" on the sides and back of their heads. And I can only imagine some of you'ze faces when I was in the Corps doing barracks duty in which I used to take myself to get a hair cut (bald fade on the sides/back) twice a week. Showered about 3 times a day; after-shave; cologne; hair spray; everything pressed to a crease; boots always spit shinned, cardboard with tapped pennies in the bottom blouse of my trousers legs to keep an impressive boot blouse.

And if I ever learn from the past mafia dons--like the one in Milwaukee that dressed immaculately--I'll start getting manicures one day.

And for the record, I don't shave (nor wax) my abdomen. I do clipper it to a low (still visible) level though. I clipper the hair on my testicles too. And will continue to do so even if I become a celibate priest.

Now... maybe I should go into the thread with American women (feminists) complaining about how men on this website complain about or tell women what to wear. Nota bene: I was not one of them. But as I'm right about American women they hate the Golden Rule. They always demand to be "understood" and demand men have more "liberal" "open minds." None of which they have in their jihadi, closed, minds.

I actually like the Brazilian female fashion of keeping short clippered hair on the thighs and calves and bleaching the hair, set against the back drop of sun-tanned legs.

Question: in light of Brazilian women with bleached hair on their legs, when did Americans become "obsessed" with hairlessness on American women and their legs?

And no... I don't like the look on women with legs full of long hairs like my hairy legs. And my legs are hairy enough to be put up against the hairiest white man's legs.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:31 AM

291 posts, read 392,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Are you serious? Who are you people?? "Garden"? "Debate the merits of natural landscape"? "Compare CHARD"??? "Try on shoes at REI"?! How many times were you dropped on your head to think these things are fun? Try putting some of that on your tourist brochures, I'm sure people will flock in droves to "watch PEMCO commercials"!

By the way, do you realize that most of the things on your list (that aren't completely whacked out and nonsensical) you can do in any city or PLACE for that matter? Being able to walk in a park or go to a skate rink does not make your city unique in any sense of the word!
I didn't say Seattle was unique.

I didn't say it was special.

I'm sorry, were you looking for unique?

That is a whole different story.

I can recommend Bukhara. Now that place is unique. Effed up to the max, a fascist wasteland, but unique. Most of the people talk in whispers, or did when I was there, because their native language had been effectively outlawed and there was a crackdown. So there is this whole Asian souk in this enormous tiled maidan, and it's practically silent. But filled with people. Silent people. People who have illegal tongues. If you want unique, I highly recommend Bukhara. Plus you will speak to at least 5 Bukharan police for no apparent reason. There's a unique activity.

Also, another great place, since Nairobi is all passe these days, full of un-unique skyscrapers and tech startups, is Timbuktu. Granted, Mali is being overrun by terrorists and hooligans, but if you are looking for unique activities, it is a place for unique activities. They have some of the world's most amazing mosques and libraries of Islamic literature. You won't find that on Capitol Hill.

Have you ever been to a nightclub in Russia? Russian rap, that is unique. Actually it's pretty amazing as Russian is a very poetic language and the Russians sure know how to suffer and treat women poorly. But then you see people dancing to it and you're like, "Wow, this is UNIQUE."

If you're looking for something unique to do, some special set of activities that will fill a hole in your life, the issue is not with the city you are in, it's with you.

Frankly, if you're looking for a unique, cool place full of interesting adventures, may I recommend leaving North America and going to places with terrible governance? I mean worse than ours. That's what I did and I've personally satisfied my curiosity about the world's night clubs and fusion rock music until I'm at least 45.

I like Seattle. I like the Eastside. I don't need a unique city. I want a boring city with nice schools, beautiful trees, fresh air, and a place to get out and about and talk to my boring friends. Sometimes I get invited to dinner at people's houses and they cook me authentic Thai food and show me slide shows of Thailand where they visited their parents.

I enjoy looking at the faces of the grandparents when they meet their grandchildren for the first time.

Nobody's asking you to like that.

What would YOU like to do?

What sort of uniqueness are you looking for? Perhaps we can recommend something.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:39 AM

314 posts, read 459,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post

Nobody's asking you to like that.

What would YOU like to do?

What sort of uniqueness are you looking for? Perhaps we can recommend something.
That whole thing was fantastic.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:44 AM

314 posts, read 459,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
Most cities i've been in have some sort of transit problem. It's never enough for those whom need to use it. I happen to think Los Angeles isn't good for transit, but i've only attempted to use it a few times before I threw it in. I still enjoy Los Angeles for being Los Angeles, though. I can't change what it is. Chicago and New York are set up well for transit, but those are older cities. The problem with Seattle right now is the growth spurt is causing some issues and we are behind on transit. One day we'll catch up, it just can't happen soon enough. People whom grew up here sometimes view it differently than people such as myself whom moved here later. I see it as a growing major city while others still see it as their sleepy little Seatown from childhood.
Agreed. And Seattle is unfortunately pursuing a method of building out a subway that is the least efficient way to get there (that is, by building it as a piecemeal regional suburban commuter system instead of as an intra-city subway system)

Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 AM

337 posts, read 494,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
BATCAT loves a few pints of good beer. And if it weren't for "special little dork clubs" BATCAT would not have any clubs at all BATCAT could belong to!
We gotta be careful if we organize a City-Data social beer meet-up, we don't want everyone to think the Seattle Freeze is a myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area